Per Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation, is it acceptable to do sitting meditation with eyes open?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
zan

Per Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation, is it acceptable to do sitting meditation with eyes open?

Post by zan »

I can't find any recommendation on this when looking through Practical Insight Meditation, and I may be looking too closely, in that it may not matter, but I wanted to know if anyone knows for sure? Please and thank you.
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
asahi

Re: Per Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation, is it acceptable to do sitting meditation with eyes open?

Post by asahi »

zan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:16 pm I can't find any recommendation on this when looking through Practical Insight Meditation, and I may be looking too closely, in that it may not matter, but I wanted to know if anyone knows for sure? Please and thank you.
Isnt that one can choose to observe rising and falling of the abdomen with open eyes !
No bashing No gossiping
zan

Re: Per Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation, is it acceptable to do sitting meditation with eyes open?

Post by zan »

asahi wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:20 pm
zan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:16 pm I can't find any recommendation on this when looking through Practical Insight Meditation, and I may be looking too closely, in that it may not matter, but I wanted to know if anyone knows for sure? Please and thank you.
Isnt that one can choose to observe rising and falling of the abdomen with open eyes !
I don't follow you.
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
asahi

Post by asahi »

Previously i did practiced abdomen method with eyes opened .
No bashing No gossiping
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

If there doesn't arise eye consciousness you can keep eyes open but if eye consciosuness arises then what's the object of insight? A visual object of insight seems to be strange.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
befriend

Post by befriend »

The only difference between open and closed eyes is that when you close your eyes theirs more ability to concentrate.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Yes. Find a white wall. Sit in front of it.

Very difficult to maintain concentration when your eye senses are continually grasping at things in your environment.