What did Buddha taught about money.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JCFighter

Post by JCFighter »

Hi,

Are monks allowed to touch money?

Can you link me to a text/sutta where Buddha taught about money?

@Mod, Please put this thread in proper section if it's in the wrong section.

Thanks.
SarathW

Re: What did Buddha taught about money.

Post by SarathW »

The Vinaya rules disallow monks from touching or handling money.
THE TEN PRECEPTS
The novice (saama.nera) has Ten Precepts, as does the dasasiila mata nun. These are the same Eight as above, however the seventh precept is split into two and an extra tenth precept is added. Thus:

1) to abstain from taking life.
2) to abstain from taking what is not given.
3) to abstain from unchastity.
4) to abstain from false speech.
5) to abstain from intoxicants causing heedlessness.
6) to abstain from untimely eating.
7) to abstain from dancing, singing, music and unseemly shows.
8) to abstain from wearing garlands, smartening with scents, and beautifying with perfumes.
9) to abstain from the use of high and large luxurious couches.
10) to abstain from accepting gold and silver (money).
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... guide.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JCFighter

Post by JCFighter »

Thank you.
asahi

Post by asahi »

I believe according to vinaya monk can ask someone to keep the money for them and handling the money on their behalf . But they cannot touch or handle it with their bare hands or deposits the money in bank under their own name . Monk can use the money for certain needs or necessary purposes in accordance with code of conduct without violating the precepts but not for own enjoyment . If prior to renunciation the money were to kept or placed under some relatives name/account , later monk can give hint or suggestion so that relatives can withdraw the money for the use of certain needs with appropriate cause in line with the dhamma where the purpose isnt for own pleasure or gratification .

Ps . For vinaya texts that will have to await venerable or someone well versed .
No bashing No gossiping
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Monks are not allowed to handle money (gold and silver, originally).

Lord Buddha and money.
https://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/dhp/v ... ?verse=067
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
form

Post by form »

The Buddha taught lay person how to managed and protect their wealth and how to earn an honest living.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

You can do whatever you want since you're not responsible for the deeds of others.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

Money is a worthless piece of paper. Gold is a useless metal. You can't chop down trees with gold for example because it's way too soft.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

wenjaforever wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:07 am Money is a worthless piece of paper. Gold is a useless metal. You can't chop down trees with gold for example because it's way too soft.
Cool! Then give me all your worthless paper and useless metal.
See? Not so worthless now.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:14 amCool! Then give me all your worthless paper and useless metal.
See? Not so worthless now.
Hah joke's on you because I don't have any money.

The Buddha left his kingdom and even persuaded his cousin ananda to go with him. I think it's pretty clear what the Buddha's opinion was about money.

The only reason you need money is because you need an army. And if you have an army you can do whatever you want. Rape, pillage, murder. The sky is the limit.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

wenjaforever wrote:Hah joke's on you because I don't have any money.

The Buddha left his kingdom and even persuaded his cousin ananda to go with him. I think it's pretty clear what the Buddha's opinion was about money.

The only reason you need money is because you need an army. And if you have an army you can do whatever you want. Rape, pillage, murder. The sky is the limit.
Let me guess, you still live with your parents? cuz, sure, while money enables you to do lots of terrible things, it can also help getting some food inside your belly so you'd be able to sit still and meditate. It can also help you taking good care of your parents in their old age (and possibly many others) instead of them having to take care of you even after you've become a grownass adult but doesn't have any money.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

santa100 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:49 amLet me guess, you still live with your parents? cuz, sure, while money enables you to do lots of terrible things, it can also help getting some food inside your belly so you'd be able to sit still and meditate. It can also help you taking good care of your parents in their old age (and possibly many others) instead of them having to take care of you even after you've become a grownass adult but doesn't have any money.
Well that's sort of how karma works if you've plenty of good karma you're born into a middle class family at least, my dad is a PhD so I have no need to improve my family's finances and I can do whatever I want including pursuing dharma studies

Don't you think there are plenty of other forums and social media to ask or learn about financial advises like YouTube for example?
Deadelectronics

Post by Deadelectronics »

wenjaforever wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:07 am Money is a worthless piece of paper. Gold is a useless metal. You can't chop down trees with gold for example because it's way too soft.
wenjaforever wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 am my dad is a PhD so I have no need to improve my family's finances and I can do whatever I want including pursuing dharma studies
:jumping: :rofl:
Joy at last to know there is no happiness in the world!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

wenjaforever wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 am Well that's sort of how karma works if you've plenty of good karma you're born into a middle class family at least, my dad is a PhD so I have no need to improve my family's finances and I can do whatever I want including pursuing dharma studies

Don't you think there are plenty of other forums and social media to ask or learn about financial advises like YouTube for example?
Then your being born with a silver spoon in your mouth certainly plays a big role in your viewpoint about money. Cuz I can tell you for every single one of you, there're at least 10's or 100's others in the world right now who are not as fortunate. And as a result they'd have quite a different opinion about the role of money. Wait til you're no longer able to leech off your rich parents, you're dead broke, out on the street, and haven't had a single morsel of food in your belly for 3 days, and see if you're still able to claim that money are just worthless pieces of paper.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

JCFighter wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:35 am [...]
Here are the Vinaya references:
Nissaggiya Pācittiya #18
Nissaggiya Pācittiya #19