Can monastics be legal guardians of kids

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
bhante dhamma

Can monastics be legal guardians of kids

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi all, a relative of mine has recently passed away and has left behind a few children so have been pondering the question in the course of a family tragedy can a monastic be the legal guardian of a child? My thinking is that as the family has a history of bad health practices (mainly smoking) it may be in the kids best interests to find another living arrangement.
Please share your thoughts and experiences if they are constructive, mudita citta.
BKh

Re: Can monastics be legal guardians of kids

Post by BKh »

Although I don't know of any cases personally, I bet if this happens in SE Asia, the kids, assuming they were male, would just move into the monastery and become temple boys or possibly novices. Whether or not that is a good thing for the kids is a different question. But the logistics would be fairly straightforward.

But the logistics of this would probably be quite different in non-Buddhist countries.

I don't think legal guardianship tracks easily with Vinaya concepts, although certainly there was the idea of people being under the protection of someone else. Of course if the children were female it presents a variety of difficulties if we are talking about a monk. No exceptions for family members or age when it comes to rules about women.

Whether this is a good thing for the monastic is a different question that probably depends on the age, needs and temperament of the the kids.

Was their something specific you were wondering about?
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

One of my teachers, an American, adopted a Bangladeshi boy, who was a samanera here until he moved to the US for college.

:heart:
Mike
santa100

Post by santa100 »

bhante dhamma wrote:Hi all, a relative of mine has recently passed away and has left behind a few children so have been pondering the question in the course of a family tragedy can a monastic be the legal guardian of a child?
Do the functions of a legal guardian involve direct handling/management/dealing with money, private property, and food providing/supplies? If yes, then it might break one or more of the 227 rules of patimokkha, hence you'd better off having other siblings, cousins, or close friends taking on this task.