Accessibility & Studying The Dhamma With Tech

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Chameleon Optimism

Accessibility & Studying The Dhamma With Tech

Post by Chameleon Optimism »

Warm greetings,

What accessible resources can one use? Instead of having to search tedious terms on Access To Insight, is there any chance or way of learning Dhamma for free?

If so, can someone explain or provide in a simple way?

Thank you,

Chameleon
Inedible

Re: Accessibility & Studying The Dhamma With Tech

Post by Inedible »

Your own mind is the best place to look. Study how your mind reacts in three ways. When it is positive you will tend to want more. When it is negative you will want less. Neutral is tricky because it makes you dull and unfocused. This is called guarding the doors of the senses and mind is included for a total of six doors. If you can get in the habit of writing down the patterns you have most often it is easier to train. I find that as a married person it is not easy to put pen to paper. My wife is not Buddhist and she would make fun of me for doing something like that. This leads to negative feelings. I still try to watch how my mind is pushed and pulled and how it tends to sink in the absence of stimulation. Then I blame outside circumstances for how I feel. This would be sad if it weren't funny. I have been reading about this for decades and I know better.
Chameleon Optimism

Post by Chameleon Optimism »

Inedible wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:47 pm Your own mind is the best place to look. Study how your mind reacts in three ways. When it is positive you will tend to want more. When it is negative you will want less. Neutral is tricky because it makes you dull and unfocused. This is called guarding the doors of the senses and mind is included for a total of six doors. If you can get in the habit of writing down the patterns you have most often it is easier to train. I find that as a married person it is not easy to put pen to paper. My wife is not Buddhist and she would make fun of me for doing something like that. This leads to negative feelings. I still try to watch how my mind is pushed and pulled and how it tends to sink in the absence of stimulation. Then I blame outside circumstances for how I feel. This would be sad if it weren't funny. I have been reading about this for decades and I know better.
Interesting. Thank you.

On another note I found this website very interesting for composing anthologies. This may aid someone who wishes to make shortcuts for a specific topic in the Pāli Canon : [ https://readingfaithfully.org/ ].
Bhikkhu Cagasampanno

Post by Bhikkhu Cagasampanno »

Here is a good resource, it is really helpful and provides numerous translations in many languages. https://suttacentral.net/

They also have an excellent audio collection as well at https://voice.suttacentral.net/scv/inde ... /suttahome