sutta Request

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
seeker242

Re: sutta Request

Post by seeker242 »

cfekete wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:43 am
bodom wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:45 pm
cfekete wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:30 pm
...you may say he is dissatisfied or you may say that he is displeased..
Yes you may say this but the Buddha does not.

:anjali:
Yes I said so. I think my point was get, which is that maybe the question do was about this sutta, he just did not remember exactly about the wording of the sutta.
Regardless of what translation is used, it is still an inference that is not present in any of the translations. None of them actually say he is displeased.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bodom wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:59 pm You won't find it because the Buddha never said anything like that. In fact he said the opposite:
The Buddha and Arahants still have likes and dislikes. They still find things pleasing or displeasing.

“What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbāna-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable, pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbāna-element with residue left."

manāpāmanāpaṁ = pleasing and displeasing.

They do so because they still have their unique individuality, with all their subjective feelings (likes and dislikes) inherited from pervious lives i.e. their current (and last) name & form.

“Idha diṭṭhasutamutaviññātesu,
Piyarūpesu hemaka;
Chandarāgavinodanaṁ,
Nibbānapadamaccutaṁ.

“In regard to likeable forms here seen, heard, sensed, and cognized, Hemaka,
the dispelling of desire and passion for them—this is the undying Nibbāna."

Edit: Apologies, I just realised how old this post is.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:14 pm
bodom wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:59 pm You won't find it because the Buddha never said anything like that. In fact he said the opposite:
The Buddha and Arahants still have likes and dislikes. They still find things pleasing or displeasing.

“What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbāna-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable, pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbāna-element with residue left."

manāpāmanāpaṁ = pleasing and displeasing.

They do so because they still have their unique individuality, with all their subjective feelings (likes and dislikes) inherited from pervious lives i.e. their current (and last) name & form.

“Idha diṭṭhasutamutaviññātesu,
Piyarūpesu hemaka;
Chandarāgavinodanaṁ,
Nibbānapadamaccutaṁ.

“In regard to likeable forms here seen, heard, sensed, and cognized, Hemaka,
the dispelling of desire and passion for them—this is the undying Nibbāna."

Edit: Apologies, I just realised how old this post is.
Yes and this is a matter that has been discussed at some length before in other topics. In regards to the sutta and topic being discussed in this thread it doesn't appear that the Buddha anywhere states that he is experienced displeasure.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB