Translation of Counterpart to Jivaka Sutta in Agarmas

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
tharpa

Translation of Counterpart to Jivaka Sutta in Agarmas

Post by tharpa »

I came across someone (Ven. Sujato, I believe) saying that there was a counterpart to the Jivaka Sutta in a non-Theravadin work, perhaps the Agamas. Would anyone if there is an English translation of this, and, if so, where I could find it?
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.
santa100

Re: Translation of Counterpart to Jivaka Sutta in Agarmas

Post by santa100 »

tharpa

Post by tharpa »

santa100 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 am See Ven. Analayo's great analysis in his "Comparative Study of the Majjhima-Nikaya (starting on page 318)"
I'm not looking for an analysis, I'm looking for a translation, but thanks anyway.

Anyone else know?
bodom

Post by bodom »

tharpa wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:07 am
santa100 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:49 am See Ven. Analayo's great analysis in his "Comparative Study of the Majjhima-Nikaya (starting on page 318)"
I'm not looking for an analysis, I'm looking for a translation, but thanks anyway.

Anyone else know?
From the article that Santa provided you it states in the first very first paragraph:
This discourse does not have a parallel in the Chinese Āgamas.
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

bodom wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:19 am
Thanks. I recall seeing a presumably later quote from Ven. Sujato where he said that though the Jivaka Sutta is not found in the Madhyama-āgama, it was found elsewhere in the Sarvastivadin canon. What I don't know is whether it's been translated.
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

tharpa wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:39 am
Thanks. I recall seeing a presumably later quote from Ven. Sujato where he said that though the Jivaka Sutta is not found in the Madhyama-āgama, it was found elsewhere in the Sarvastivadin canon. Assuming my recollection is correct, what I don't know is whether it's been translated.
bodom

Post by bodom »

tharpa wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:39 am
Thanks. I recall seeing a presumably later quote from Ven. Sujato where he said that though the Jivaka Sutta is not found in the Madhyama-āgama, it was found elsewhere in the Sarvastivadin canon. What I don't know is whether it's been translated.
You might try asking Bhante Sujato himself on his forum where he is an active participant in the discussions:

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/c/discussion/7

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

bodom wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 am You might try asking Bhante Sujato himself on his forum where he is an active participant in the discussions:

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/c/discussion/7

I declined to register on SuttaCentral. They require users to state that they have read and understood the long personal Buddhist philosophy of the unknown webmaster (who I now believe to be Ven. Sujato), and I did not wish to state that. Such requirements just pressure people into lying. I take the Fourth Precept quite seriously. I messaged Ven. Sujato's FB account last year to inform him of the problem with the registration requirement, but I did not get a response.
Last edited by tharpa on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
asahi

Post by asahi »

tharpa wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:07 am Anyone else know?
There is a parallel in sanskrit but not yet in english .

SHT Sutta 76
SHT 1525V1–R1
No bashing No gossiping
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

asahi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:26 pm There is a parallel in sanskrit but not yet in english .

SHT Sutta 76
SHT 1525V1–R1