Popularity and unpopularity

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mario92

Popularity and unpopularity

Post by mario92 »

Namaste all, i had commited mistakes as a buddhist and as non buddhist as a teenager, child, etc., due to my ignorance on some key concepts like kamma, etc. Now i want to ask a question if i am unpopular, can i overcome it by for example doing good deeds in public? I had done a lot of good deeds but i feel most people dont know. What is the way to became popular in buddhism? Do being popular counteracts unpopularity? Thank you.
SteRo

Re: Popularity and unpopularity

Post by SteRo »

mario92 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 am I had done a lot of good deeds but i feel most people dont know.
Now that you are bragging about your alleged "good deeds" in this forum many people can know about it and maybe this adds to your popularity. :lol:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Im not looking for popularity in this forum
mario92

Post by mario92 »

SteRo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:39 am
mario92 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 am I had done a lot of good deeds but i feel most people dont know.
Now that you are bragging about your alleged "good deeds" in this forum many people can know about it and maybe this adds to your popularity. :lol:
Joking at others is bad.
allium

Post by allium »

mario92 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 am What is the way to became popular in buddhism?
“Mendicants, you can expect eleven benefits when the heart’s release by love has been cultivated, developed, and practiced, made a vehicle and a basis, kept up, consolidated, and properly implemented.

What eleven? You sleep at ease. You wake happily. You don’t have bad dreams. Humans love you. Non-humans love you. Deities protect you. You can’t be harmed by fire, poison, or blade. Your mind quickly enters immersion. Your face is clear and bright. You don’t feel lost when you die. If you don’t penetrate any higher, you’ll be reborn in a Brahmā realm.

You can expect eleven benefits when the heart’s release by love has been cultivated, developed, and practiced, made a vehicle and a basis, kept up, consolidated, and properly implemented.”
https://suttacentral.net/an11.15/en/suj ... ript=latin
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you :namaste:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Being popular is certainly preferable to being unpopular, especially if one is trying to overcome a bad reputation. Allium's advice about the Brahma viharas is very sound in my opinion, but you might also want to reflect on why you actually want to be popular, and whether you are perceiving popularity in a correct and skilful way. This sutta might be helpful, in so far as it reminds us that if we see popularity as it really is, we see that it is inconstant, suffering, and not self.
The Blessed One said, "Gain arises for an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person. He does not reflect, 'Gain has arisen for me. It is inconstant, stressful, & subject to change.' He does not discern it as it actually is.

"Loss arises... Status arises... Disgrace arises... Censure arises... Praise arises... Pleasure arises...

"Pain arises. He does not reflect, 'Pain has arisen for me. It is inconstant, stressful, & subject to change.' He does not discern it as it actually is.

"His mind remains consumed with the gain. His mind remains consumed with the loss... with the status... the disgrace... the censure... the praise... the pleasure. His mind remains consumed with the pain.

"He welcomes the arisen gain and rebels against the arisen loss. He welcomes the arisen status and rebels against the arisen disgrace. He welcomes the arisen praise and rebels against the arisen censure. He welcomes the arisen pleasure and rebels against the arisen pain. As he is thus engaged in welcoming & rebelling, he is not released from birth, aging, or death; from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, or despairs. He is not released, I tell you, from suffering & stress.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Perhaps a good way of looking at popularity is that it can give us a respite from criticism and feeling unworthy, but that craving it for its own sake makes a whole new set of problems arise.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

mario92 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 am What is the way to became popular in buddhism?
You seem like Demon Alavaka? :jawdrop:

Why do you ask it again?
Kathaṁsu kittiṁ pappoti?
How does one come to fame?
Don't you remember the answer.
Saccena kittiṁ pappoti.
Fame will he acquire by truth.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Praise and blame. The worldly winds. A lot of emphasis in our culture is on being popular, but when you look at the reasons for popularity, they may not be so noble. I think the Buddha would define being praised by the wise as valuable. It may be worth reflecting on whose admiration you are seeking out and why.
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

you are already very popular. When you die this world will disappear.
Last edited by zerotime on Sun May 01, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
dharmacorps wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:15 pm Praise and blame. The worldly winds. A lot of emphasis in our culture is on being popular, but when you look at the reasons for popularity, they may not be so noble.
Well said. For more on this: AN 8.6.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Rambutan

Post by Rambutan »

Personally, I am in a line of work where it helps a lot that people have heard of me. I’m not “famous” but in the scope of my career, I’m well known and liked, and this is a necessity in my field. Arts, music, entertainment, theatre, literature, for anyone in these types of professions, this is true.

But it’s just a tool. Popularity has to serve some kind of useful function. In junior high school, it serves a function of social development. For really famous people, their greatest desire is to be able to go someplace where nobody knows who they are.

Without a useful purpose, isn’t wanting to be popular just a self-grasping ego trip?
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

When I was in school, I didn't care about popularity. Then I started working and all I cared about was earning my salary. The problem was that I have always found it difficult to get jobs. Keeping them has been the easy part. I have always felt that if I had done a better job of cultivating relationships with people I would have had better luck getting jobs when I needed to. Such as when businesses closed or when the people I worked with left and the place was going downhill. So I understand why you might want to seek popularity. In school, it is more practice for when you are in the workforce. But you never know when it will pay off.

Learn people's names. I found they don't like it when you can't tell them apart. Make sure you remember where you met them and what people they are connected with. Like when they talk about having family or friends you haven't met. Learn what they like and what they dislike. Having extra food and drink and other minor comforts so you can share is helpful, but don't go overboard. Small gifts, and make it look unplanned. Not too often. You don't want it to look like you are buying friendship. Most of the benefits will come from knowing about them and making them feel understood. They will like you and talk about you because you like them. That's how you become popular. You have to genuinely like other people first. Obviously, I have trouble with this and it has cost me a lot of money.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Inedible.
Inedible wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:33 pm ... Most of the benefits will come from knowing about them and making them feel understood. They will like you and talk about you because you like them. That's how you become popular. You have to genuinely like other people first. ...
I think the OPs use of the word "popular" was perhaps a little unfortunate, as it makes the issue sound like vanity, rather than the more practical benefits that you discuss. As you say, understanding and connecting with others is a key part of others noticing, trusting, and helping you. Unless one intends to become a hermit, good interactions are important.

:heart:
Mike
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

The noble eightfold path leads to "popularity by good character": by building a moral reputation, being energetic, more happy, easy going, loving, wise, having unheard knowledge, etc.

Ultimately thats how you are known.

There are other kinds of popularity. It is not always something good being popular. Hitler was. So did many serial killers.

Regards