The Good and The Evil

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
maniture_85

The Good and The Evil

Post by maniture_85 »

The Good is stronger than the Evil.
Why? Because the Good is ultimate Truth, and as such is complete in itself.

The Good, in order to manifest itself, needs noone but himself.
The Evil, in order to manifest itself, necessarily needs someone else.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: The Good and The Evil

Post by Sam Vara »

Whichever is stronger, or more complete, or came first, there is an awful lot of both in the universe, and we can wander in evil for a very long time indeed. So choosing good now is, I think, more fruitful than philosophising about them as absolutes.

But if reflecting on them gives you the confidence to do that, then I guess that's OK too.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I think ultimate truth is beyond good and evil..

To do good, you need someone..

to do evil too..

if there is no one.. only peace remains.
Verse 39. The Wide-Awake Is Unfrightened

One of unflooded mind,
a mind that is not battered,
abandoning evil, merit too,
no fear for One Awake.

Explanation: For the person who’s mind is not dampened by passion, unaffected by ill-will and who has risen above both good and evil, there is no fear because he is wide-awake.

http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_mind.htm
Puññapapapahinassa (abandoned evil and good too): one who transcends notions of good and bad deeds, without any particular attachment to rewards. This implies a high degree of equanimity, as it indicates an ego-free detachment. There is no attachment to the act of giving, the recipient, or the gift given. The Arahants, however, having transcended all life - the present and rebirth - in doing deeds, are said to be "beyond merit and demerit."

The actions of an Arahant, a perfectly enlightened one, are neither good nor bad, because he has gone beyond good and evil. This does not mean that he is passive. He is active, but his activity is selfless and is directed towards helping others to walk the path he has walked. His actions, which are generally accepted as good, lack the creative force of his own to produce kammic effects. He, however, is not exempt from the effects of his past actions. He does not accumulate new kammic activities. Any actions he does, as an Arahant, are called "inoperative" (kiriya), and are not considered Kamma. They are ethically ineffective. Understanding things as they really are, he finally broke the cosmic chain of cause and effect.

https://www.acessoaoinsight.net/dhp/dhp3.php#N5
:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:35 am I think ultimate truth is beyond good and evil..

to do evil too..

One of unflooded mind,
no fear for One Awake.

Explanation: For the person who’s mind is not dampened by passion, unaffected by ill-will and who has risen above both good and evil, there is no fear because he is wide-awake.

Puññapapapahinassa (abandoned evil and good too): one who transcends notions of good and bad deeds, without any particular attachment to rewards. This implies a high degree of equanimity, as it indicates an ego-free detachment. There is no attachment to the act of giving, the recipient, or the gift given. The Arahants, however, having transcended all life - the present and rebirth - in doing deeds, are said to be "beyond merit and demerit."

The actions of an Arahant, a perfectly enlightened one, are neither good nor bad, because he has gone beyond good and evil. This does not mean that he is passive. He is active, but his activity is selfless and is directed towards helping others to walk the path he has walked. His actions, which are generally accepted as good, lack the creative force of his own to produce kammic effects. He, however, is not exempt from the effects of his past actions. He does not accumulate new kammic activities. Any actions he does, as an Arahant, are called "inoperative" (kiriya), and are not considered Kamma. They are ethically ineffective. Understanding things as they really are, he finally broke the cosmic chain of cause and effect.

:goodpost:
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

The good: Right understanding, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right sati, and right samadhi.

The evil: Acting out of greed, hatred, and delusion. This means acting, being an actor.

Good and bad: Regarding things as good for us and bad for us is attachment, a delusion. We should go beyond good and bad, beyond creating value. We should understand this is not me, not mine, not myself.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Rambutan

Post by Rambutan »

maniture_85 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:02 pm The Good is stronger than the Evil.
Why? Because the Good is ultimate Truth, and as such is complete in itself.

The Good, in order to manifest itself, needs noone but himself.
The Evil, in order to manifest itself, necessarily needs someone else.
If you pour a little contaminated water into a vessel of pure water, all the water will become contaminated.

But if you pour a little pure water into contaminated water, will all the water become pure? No. All the water will still be contaminated.
Alino

Post by Alino »

As Venerable Ajahn Jayasaro say :
If we take 100 people and want them to be silent then the contribution of all of them is needed. On the other side if we want noise among these 100 people, onle one person is needed to create the noise.

So if we regard the nature of that illustration we can realise that there is much more peace and goodness available in our lives, but dukkha and disturbances, agitation, evil is more visible, more gross, less subtile...

🙏
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:35 am I think ultimate truth is beyond good and evil..

to do evil too..

One of unflooded mind,
no fear for One Awake.

You are right. The use of the word "ultimate" is very probably wrong in this context, in this forum.
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm Whichever is stronger, or more complete, or came first, there is an awful lot of both in the universe, and we can wander in evil for a very long time indeed. So choosing good now is, I think, more fruitful than philosophising about them as absolutes.

But if reflecting on them gives you the confidence to do that, then I guess that's OK too.
Ofcourse. I believe wisdom can be strongly improved through deep analytical analysis, even on absolute/abstract topics, so proceed on the path, so going to the good.
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

Alino wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:51 pm As Venerable Ajahn Jayasaro say :
If we take 100 people and want them to be silent then the contribution of all of them is needed. On the other side if we want noise among these 100 people, onle one person is needed to create the noise.

So if we regard the nature of that illustration we can realise that there is much more peace and goodness available in our lives, but dukkha and disturbances, agitation, evil is more visible, more gross, less subtile...

🙏
Very nice contribution, thank you.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Perhaps Good and Evil is just Duality.

But when the Buddha speaks in Brahma Viharas, he only teaches Good.

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm Whichever is stronger, or more complete, or came first, there is an awful lot of both in the universe, and we can wander in evil for a very long time indeed. So choosing good now is, I think, more fruitful than philosophising about them as absolutes.

Of course. I always accompained my meditation practice with reflection. Dhamma has to be understood and then applied correctly by correct reasoning to the real world through direct understanding, linking life and practice. I can say it can be dangerous to speculate on abstract themes without being skilled in virtues and in analysis. The danger is to take the wrong way out of excessive speculation and to lose contact with reality and the final goal.
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:23 pm Perhaps Good and Evil is just Duality.

But when the Buddha speaks in Brahma Viharas, he only teaches Good.

Not sure i will not change my mind about this. I think good and evil is duality, but still, good can somewhere and somehow exist by itself because of its virtues, and evil cant. The reason, i guess, is that Good is union. Union is creating something new which can take an "existence" by its own.
Union can be also read as connectedness, correct and virtuous integration.