Ādiyasutta and the five spirit-offerings

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
AliochaKaramazov

Ādiyasutta and the five spirit-offerings

Post by AliochaKaramazov »

Salutations to the members of the Sangha :anjali: and to the members of the forum,
I had a question regarding the Ādyiasutta AN 5.41 where the Buddha explains the reasons to get rich and the fifth is to make the five spirit-offerings (in bhante Sujato's translation) or oblations (Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation) to relatives, guests, ancestors, king, and deities.
I was thinking they could be ceremonial or simple offerings but the fact that guests, relatives and the king are included makes me ponder what it may actually mean.
I would gladly learn the meaning of this if someone could please help me :candle:
I thank you for reading me and wish you an excellent day,
With mettā.
Last edited by AliochaKaramazov on Sun May 15, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontheway

Re: Ādyiasutta and the five spirit-offerings

Post by Ontheway »

Hi, it is clearly a good practice where people will give gifts to (1) relatives and (2) guests (during suitable times), (3) make donations or offerings in the name of ancestors, (4) giving tax money to the Ruler, and (5) make merit offerings to the deities (sharing merits with the deities).

By doing so,

(1) Friendliness and harmony between the giver and relatives can be improved.

(2) Promotes friendship between the giver and guests.

(3) The ancestors (Petas) will be appeased.

(3) The Ruler will be appeased.

(4) The deities will recognise the giver and not abandon the giver at the times of danger (can see Ratanasutta as even the Buddha commanded the deities to protect those people who bring them offerings aka sharing merits with deities). Some of the deities mentioned by the Buddha in Pāli canon, for example: Sakka Devaraja, Vessavana Maharaja, Janavasabha, Brahma Sahampati, etc.

The Buddha taught this practice to the householder Anathapindika to show a blameless way of using wealth. We laypeople should heed the advice given by the Buddha.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
santa100

Re: Ādiyasutta and the five spirit-offerings

Post by santa100 »

AliochaKaramazov wrote:I was thinking they could be ceremonial or simple offerings but the fact that guests, relatives and the king are included makes me ponder what it may actually mean.
I would gladly learn the meaning of this if someone could please help me
The background context is important cuz the Buddha tailored his Teaching depending on the target audience. In SN 5.41, the Buddha describes for the wealthy householder Anathapindika five skillful ways of using one's money that bring immense benefits to the giver — benefits that last long after all the wealth is gone. [Often chanted by monks as a blessing after receiving food or other offerings]. Ven. Bodhi's note in "Connected Discourses" further says: "From this part on, this sutta closely parallels 4:61. The five items are obtained by dividing the first of the latter from note [746] into two parts. The verses in the two suttas are identical."
AliochaKaramazov

Re: Ādiyasutta and the five spirit-offerings

Post by AliochaKaramazov »

Thank you very much for your answers, may you all be well :candle: