What are regular kalpas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
wenjaforever

What are regular kalpas?

Post by wenjaforever »

Hello everyone I'm new to Buddhism and I think I like Theravada because it's less tradition and more early text stuff.

I recently come to read about regular kalpa. Said it is 1000x shorter than an antarakalpa? Is this canon?

AFAIK in every antarakalpa the human lifespan diminishes until it is only 20 years or so and civilization is reset. And there are 20 antarakalpas for every kalpa. Every mahakalpa is destroyed through fire.

If there are 1000 regular kalpas in every antarakalpa, what determines a regular kalpa? How is it ended and started?
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
cappuccino

Re: What are regular kalpas?

Post by cappuccino »

The end of the Kali Yuga in 2025: Unraveling the mysteries of the Yuga Cycle
Bibhu Dev Misra wrote:The Yuga Cycle doctrine tells us that we are now living in the Kali Yuga; the age of darkness, when moral virtue and mental capabilities reach their lowest point in the cycle.
jovialfitter

Re: What are regular kalpas?

Post by jovialfitter »

Human life expectancy is reduced to about 20 years in every antarakalpa, based on what I've read. In addition, for every kalpa there are 20 antarakalpas. Fire destroys every mahakalpa.

dordle