Can a meditator acquire Jhana with walking meditation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
justindesilva

Can a meditator acquire Jhana with walking meditation

Post by justindesilva »

Walking meditation means movement of legs . Hence does it allow jhana.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Can a meditator acquire Jhana with walking meditation

Post by JamesTheGiant »

In my experience, walking meditation can be used to generate strong piti-sukha, then you stop walking and focus on the piti-sukha, and you can grow it, suffuse it, and use it to enter jhana.
I'm not claiming this attainment, by the way!
But in my experience the walking has to stop at some stage, as you lose contact with the body and become completely immersed in the object.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:04 am In my experience, walking meditation can be used to generate strong piti-sukha, then you stop walking and focus on the piti-sukha, and you can grow it, suffuse it, and use it to enter jhana.
But in my experience the walking has to stop at some stage, as you lose contact with the body and become completely immersed in the object.
Is losing contact with the body itself a form of jhana. I had of course immersed in thought of feeling of muscular changes in feet at most and thanks.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

justindesilva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 am Is losing contact with the body itself a form of jhana.
Jhana is a very specific state, and must have 5 factors included. You can search Jhana Five Factors to learn more.
If it doesn't have all five, it's not jhana.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:04 am In my experience, walking meditation can be used to generate strong piti-sukha, then you stop walking and focus on the piti-sukha, and you can grow it, suffuse it, and use it to enter jhana.
I agree .. walking meditation to surpass hinderance like sloth and torpor is agreed
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Generally the Jhana formula Vitakka, Vicara, Pithy, Sukha, and Ekhagatha start with the phrase that the meditator sits cross-legged, body erect keeping his attention in the front of his mouth.
However, People with Jhana can walk on water, fly cross-legged and walk through a brick wall, etc.

In my opinion, it is possible to attain Jhana while walking even though I do not have any higher Jhana experience.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bkmudita

Post by bkmudita »

justindesilva wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:26 am Walking meditation means movement of legs . Hence does it allow jhana.
No, walking cannot. After entering jhana, there is chance that gentle bodily movement may not break the jhanic state if it's stable enough.