Martial Arts and Attainment

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Gami47

Martial Arts and Attainment

Post by Gami47 »

Could a Muay Thai/Martial Artist fighter become a Sotapanna or Sakadagami? :buddha1:
santa100

Re: Martial Arts and Attainment

Post by santa100 »

Gami47 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 am Could a Muay Thai/Martial Artist fighter become a Sotapanna or Sakadagami? :buddha1:
No, cuz it's not lethal enough, like MMA... Jokes aside, if a fighter still engage in professional bouts inside the ring, be it Muay Thai, MMA, boxing, karate, taekwondo, etc... there'll always be various levels of intentional violence/injuries inflicted on the opponent in order to win. But for a practitioner doing it just to improve one's health, it might be a different story..
Alino

Post by Alino »

It depends if you feel angry while fighting or not.

Being myself an ex-practitionner of MMA, Kickboxing etc. i can say that those who practice it are not violent or angry people, they just do their sport and apply learned techniques. Martial arts are very comparable to the dance. Even if dance is a some kind of vertical sex, people dont do it while dancing. In the same way even if fighting sports seems violent, trained fighters dont experiance anger. Their mind is calm. Why? Because they are not affraid of what happens, they know what they do, they know what do their partner. Dukkha is known for them, so they dont panic, they just do their thing.

Some Olimpic boxer once said that an an angry boxer is a boxer who looses fights. Because anger makes him do mistakes. More the fighter's mind is calm, more he sees, more he sees, better he acts.

I have seen many street fights while being young, and less both fighters knew how to fight, more the fight was ignoble, dirty, violent, unfair etc. Why? Because of the fear. But boxers have no fear while fighting, they just do their job. In the same way, if a dancer wants sex with her partner, he will make mistakes and being deluded.

So it depends if you experience unwholesome states of mind or not. Because one who experience greed and hatred is experiencing strong delusion.

Lord Buddha was from a warrior caste, so he perfectly knew how to fight and even how to kill i suppose. All depends on our mental state and motivation. Imho
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Alino wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:12 am It depends if you feel angry while fighting or not.

Being myself an ex-practitionner of MMA, Kickboxing etc. i can say that those who practice it are not violent or angry people, they just do their sport and apply learned techniques. Martial arts are very comparable to the dance. Even if dance is a some kind of vertical sex, people dont do it while dancing. In the same way even if fighting sports seems violent, trained fighters dont experiance anger. Their mind is calm. Why? Because they are not affraid of what happens, they know what they do, they know what do their partner. Dukkha is known for them, so they dont panic, they just do their thing.

Some Olimpic boxer once said that an an angry boxer is a boxer who looses fights. Because anger makes him do mistakes. More the fighter's mind is calm, more he sees, more he sees, better he acts.

I have seen many street fights while being young, and less both fighters knew how to fight, more the fight was ignoble, dirty, violent, unfair etc. Why? Because of the fear. But boxers have no fear while fighting, they just do their job. In the same way, if a dancer wants sex with her partner, he will make mistakes and being deluded.

So it depends if you experience unwholesome states of mind or not. Because one who experience greed and hatred is experiencing strong delusion.

Lord Buddha was from a warrior caste, so he perfectly knew how to fight and even how to kill i suppose. All depends on our mental state and motivation. Imho
As an expractitioner of karate I am bound to say that practising its moves , blocks and punches with kicks are all like meditation.
Without perfect concentration one cannot master the arts. Besides the very purpose of martial arts is self defense and self there is beyond me or myself. As one perfects for belts meditation to endure vedana or body feelings is trained with bathing in extreme cold weather and living in jungles with nature . Zen with development of metta is a key to survive in jungles with serpents.
All good martial art practitioner do meditate kayanupassana and vidarshana meditation to achieve their targets.
It is known that prince Siddartha by the age of 16 had perfected all forms of martial arts.
It is brucely and his films which made martial arts only combat. All or most chinese films show that chinese kungfu was perfected to defend large provincial kingdoms and was developed by zenn monks who lived with buddhist principles.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

There is a difference between planned violence and impulse prompted violence.

Humans unlike other species have extremely low rates of impulse prompted violence and extremely high rate of planned violence.

Sotapannas don't have the planned violence, they are way too wise to plan such harm but can get angry and even strike.

However i can't believe a sotapanna would have enough cruelty to 'finish' an opponent or to even risk inflict any substantial damage for sport.

A fight heightens perception of mortality and this itself will sober up a sotapanna overcome by anger because the perception of death & danger becomes acutely established.

A sotapanna is a terrible fighter, way too kind and would rather give up his own than take another's life.