Now i believe that using tobaco or alcohol make me very afraid often.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
user99

Now i believe that using tobaco or alcohol make me very afraid often.

Post by user99 »

:sage:
Do i believe right?
ilpo

Re: Now i believe that using tobaco or alcohol make me very afraid often.

Post by ilpo »

If you take alcohol and do heedless actions, then based on those actions you may get afraid that other people find out what you have done under the influence of intoxicants. And it doesn't matter if you remember them, because "something" remembers, and it is reflected in the outer world.
As the Buddha said, one who keeps the five precepts approaches every assembly confidently and is not troubled when other people speak of people who do bad actions, like thinking "let them not find out about me". Every bad secret will eat your energy internally. But it's not all black and white.

Coffee, tobacco and alcohol increase blood pressure so they create a tension in the body that the mind may erroneously interpret as a sign of danger and might cause fears to arise. For example if in the morning you would take a large cup of coffee and then some extra strong snuff, the blood pressure will skyrocket and you'll even feel out of breath, and very agitated.

But in my experience, on the other hand, smoking a cigarette sometimes can be very relaxing, and the relaxation can last for hours just from one cigarette. But it requires a built up habit of taking nicotine.

A scientific study I heard, said that if you try to quit smoking, then drinking coffee at the same time is bad, because coffee doubles the speed of nicotine dissipating from your system. So drinking coffee increases the craving for nicotine. And if you lay aside smoking, you'll likely drink more coffee to compensate for the nicotine craving, and coffee again increases the nicotine craving, which together create a spiral of increasing agitation.

Also because coffee is a diuretic which dries up the body, if you drink lots of coffee and nothing else, you may feel sensations of dehydration, and together with the agitation coming from caffeine, the combined feeling state will likely be falsely interpreted as coming from the lack of nicotine, which isn't the case.

Just sharing my thought on this. I hope this helps.
bkmudita

Re: Now i believe that using tobaco or alcohol make me very afraid often.

Post by bkmudita »

user99 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:55 am :sage:
Do i believe right?
in Thailand, some monks who even considered arahant by people, do smoke.