How does Abhidhamma and Tv Cmy explain removal of thoughts with ānāpānā sati to get into 2nd jhāna?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
frank k

How does Abhidhamma and Tv Cmy explain removal of thoughts with ānāpānā sati to get into 2nd jhāna?

Post by frank k »

Here, Sujato correctly translates vitakka as 'thinking',
Sujato translation, AN 9.1
They should develop the perception of ugliness to give up greed, love to give up hate, mindfulness of breathing to cut off thinking, and perception of impermanence to uproot the conceit ‘I am’.
asubhā bhāvetabbā rāgassa pahānāya, mettā bhāvetabbā byāpādassa pahānāya, ānāpānassati bhāvetabbā vitakkupacchedāya, aniccasaññā bhāvetabbā asmimānasamugghātāya. Variant: ānāpānassati → ānāpānasati (bj, pts1ed)

But I'm wondering how Ajahn Brahm, Sujato, Vism. use that instruction to get from first jhāna to second jhāna.
How how Tv Commentary explain that sutta passage?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Re: How does Abhidhamma and Tv Cmy explain removal of thoughts with ānāpānā sati to get into 2nd jhāna?

Post by frank k »

Still waiting for a response.

Surely Vism. has something to say on it?
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
wenjaforever

Re: How does Abhidhamma and Tv Cmy explain removal of thoughts with ānāpānā sati to get into 2nd jhāna?

Post by wenjaforever »

Brahmas in the 1st jhana are telepathic. This is why language is extinct in this realm. But to eradicate sadness you have to vanish the mind altogether. Who needs the mind if you can read minds right?
Last edited by wenjaforever on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
frank k

Post by frank k »

wenjaforever wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:32 am Brahmas in the 1st jhana are telepathic. This is why language is extinct in this realm. But to eradicate sadness you have to vanish the mind altogether. Who needs the mind if you can read minds right?
So you're saying the Buddha was reborn in a human realm attained perfect awakening, gave human disciples instructions on 16 steps of breath meditation, that are actually meant for brahma realm beings?
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Obviouly, AN 9.1 does not have a parallel in MA 57 for that "mindfulness of breathing to cut off thinking" extract. And for a good reason: "there is no vitakka in the first steps of Ānāpānasati" :
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... obilebasic

https://i.ibb.co/LpfHSWv/Anapana.png

Yet, one might infer that paṭisaṃvedī involves some kind of thinking, which is not really vitakka:
Breathing in, he desires to be able to (have the feel of):
"I will breathe to have an accurate knowledge of the entire body".
Sabbakāyapaṭisaṃvedī assasissāmīti sikkhati.
Breathing out,...
Paṭisaṃvedī
Sanskrit: pratisaṃvid
- An accurate knowledge of the particulars of anything.
√ vid : to know | to understand | to have the feel of, to be conscious of | to see.
(the root from wich vedanā is derived).

BUT, there is more!

Vitakka/vitarka [act. vitark] has the pre-Buddhist meaning of "speak" in the Indian literature at the time of Budda — which makes the vacīsaṅkhāro (a.k.a. verbal determination/co-action) much more logical.
Only later on in the MBh. did it take the meaning of "thinking".

Indeed, √ tark means "to speak" in Dhātup.
And one should put Vicāra before Vitakka to understand the all shebang - as one should put the experience/feeling (Vedanā) before the notion/conception about it [and one's agreement with it] (Saññā).
Then the pericope becomes:
Having formerly moved in different directions (with the breath — in/out — high/low), and wishing to continue being (namely, through the expansion of the body/kāya [kāyasaṅkhāro]) (Vicāra) , someone breaks into speech/wording (Vitakka) , therefore Vicāra and Vitakka are verbal determinations.
Pubbe kho āvuso visākha vitakketvā vicāretvā pacchā vācaṃ bhindati. Tasmā vitakkavicārā vacīsaṅkhāro.
MN 44/SN41.6
Pre-Buddhist meanings of vicāra [act. vicar]
vicar [ vi-√ car ]:
- to move in different directions , spread , expand , be diffused (RV. MBh.)
- to rove , ramble about or through , traverse , pervade (RV.)
√ car:
- to wish to act or conduct one's self (ŚBr. - also RV. & AV.)
- to continue performing or being " (ŚBr.)
- to undertake, under go , observe , do or act in general (AV.)

Indeed, the representation process of the verbal process is:
Vicāra/Vitakka,
which leads to a word (vaca).
Then comes the expression process, with its syntax and sentence.

---------
Udaya:
What’s the fetter of the world?
and what the world’s undertaking/expanding*?
By abandonment of what
is Nirvāṇa named?
Kiṁsu saṁyojano loko,
kiṁsu tassa vicāraṇaṁ;
Kissassa vippahānena,
nibbānaṁ iti vuccati”.
See papañca/prapañca (= expansion/development of the visible world - ŚBr. ŚvetUp (of senses).

Buddha:
To be pleased, is the fetter of the world,
whishing to act [to continue being] (vicāra) and wording it (vitakka).
the letting-go of craving,
is Nirvāṇa named.
“Nandisaṁyojano loko,
vitakkassa vicāraṇaṁ;
Taṇhāya vippahānena,
nibbānaṁ iti vuccati”.
Snp 5.14

Wording (and Naming) , does seem to be a pretty universal concept; doesn't it?

Maybe that "spoken" vitakka is more than an utterance, and finds its spokenness formerly in the mental process of vicāra — being mental itself, before the vocalization of vaca.
Can you "speak" in your mind?

And maybe the near total cessation [vy-upa-śama] of vicara/vitakka in the second jhana, can be attributed in Ānāpānasati, to the linkage with mere feelings (Pīti & Sukka), and no more vith the Vaci process .
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

frank k wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:10 pm So you're saying the Buddha was reborn in a human realm attained perfect awakening, gave human disciples instructions on 16 steps of breath meditation, that are actually meant for brahma realm beings?
Have no clue what that even means. But he already was an arahat before being born as human. I speculate he is able to split his soul or something. The Buddha also claims that what he taught to you was only one leaf of a wisdom that is actually a forest. A drop in an ocean if you will. The tip of the iceberg.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Noble Sangha

Post by Noble Sangha »

I’ll share what I feel is appropriate as of this time. For me whatever teaching materials that’s in the Tipitaka, that’s all I / will mostly consult from. If one try to make what’s shared here compatible with late commentaries like the Visuddhimagga and some English translated sutta’s, there might be possible inconsistencies.

What I learned and makes sense to me so far for the explanation / interpretation of sutta’s with the words “vitakka” “vicara” and others that will be mentioned below. Long story short (needs some explanation . . .), to partially to answer your question, instead of “removal of thoughts”, replace it with “the removal of “bad / unwholesome / akusala, etc . . . thoughts”.

I’ll reword things a bit to your op question . . . “What’s the explanation / instruction / process, etc . . . for the REMOVAL (ariya) or the SUPPRESSION (anariya) of “bad thoughts” akusala / unwholesome / miccha sankappa / panca nivarana, etc . . . with anapanasati to get into 2nd jhana?”.

Note, I just use the word anapanasati, it’s up to each one to decide what anapanasati is. To me, it’s not breath meditation.

I will explain a little though about vitakka and vicara according to what I learned and my understanding. Hope this helps some . . . May any merits belong to the Buddha Sasana and help us all satta’s to attain Nibbana.

What’s share here, the credit belongs to the teachers / teaching materials. Saddhu saddhu saddhu

Vitakka, Vicara, Savitakka, Savicara, and Avitakka, Avicara.

ToVincent mentioned: Vitakka/vitarka [act. vitark] . . . which makes the vacīsaṅkhāro (a.k.a. verbal determination/co-action) much more logical.

A reference to what you mentioned, In MN 117 Mahacattarisakasutta, it mentions vitakka is related to vaci sankhara.

Katamo ca, bhikkhave, sammāsaṅkappo ariyo anāsavo lokuttaro maggaṅgo? Yo kho, bhikkhave, ariyacittassa anāsavacittassa ariyamaggasamaṅgino ariyamaggaṁ bhāvayato takko vitakko saṅkappo appanā byappanā cetaso abhiniropanā vacīsaṅkhāro—ayaṁ, bhikkhave, sammāsaṅkappo ariyo anāsavo lokuttaro maggaṅgo.

(SC translation)

And what is right thought that is noble, undefiled, transcendent, a factor of the path? It’s the thinking—the placing of the mind, thought, applying, application, implanting of the mind, verbal processes—in one of noble mind and undefiled mind, who possesses the noble path and develops the noble—This is right thought that is noble.

Translation of that passage from learning materials I learn from. (Not my translation).

• Translated: “And what, bhikkhus, is Sammā Saṅkappa that is Noble, without āsava, supramundane, a factor of the Noble Path? Those are Noble thoughts (ariyacittāsa) that are devoid of cravings (anāsa¬va-cittāsa), belong to the Noble Path (ariya¬magga¬samaṅ¬gino ariyamaggaṃ bhāvayato) with takko vitakko saṅkappo appanā byappanā cetaso abhiniropanā vacī saṅkhāro: that is Sammā Saṅkappa that is Noble, a factor of the Noble Path”.

Something important to be aware of, if one is not already, is that the “verbal process” is not just speaking from our mouths, but can also be when we talk / speak to ourselves in our own minds, like contemplation, analyzing, etc . . .

There’s an important connection to see with vaci sankhara and sankappa, vaca (such as samma sankappa, samma vaca). Vaci sankhara’s can be the same as vaca (miccha / samma vaca), or the example of when one is contemplating the Buddha Dhamma in one's mind. . . Sorry, I’m skipping and going to skip a lot of information / explanation here.

(This sentence copied exactly from teaching material) “The words takka, vitakka, vicara, the closest English words could be “think one way”, further / counter analysis, investigate in depth. They are the same as vaci sankhara”.

What I learned and understood so far is that the general idea / meaning behind the words takka, vitakka, vicara, Savitakka, Savicara, Avitakka and Avicara describes our conscious thinking about a thought object (arammana). We either silently “talk to ourselves” in our minds or speak out while analyzing / pondering / contemplating / deciding, etc . . .

“Vittaka” is usually reserved for or more often than not, mean “bad / unwholesome / akusala, thoughts. One way (other ways) to look at this is thoughts of akusala’s done with the mind. Abhijja (covetousness / greed), Vyapada (ill-will / hatred), Miccha ditthi (wrong views).

BUT in some cases though Vittaka can mean “ALL KINDS OF THOUGHTS GOOD or BAD”. It’s beneficial to keep an open mind about the possibility of needing to identify which meaning to use in the context. Below is an example.

SN 9.11 (Example where “vitakka” is used for bad thoughts / unwholesome / akusala thoughts).

"Tena kho pana samayena so bhikkhu divāvihāragato pāpake akusale vitakke vitakketi, seyyathidaṁ—kāmavitakkaṁ, byāpādavitakkaṁ, vihiṁsāvitakkaṁ."

"Now at that time that mendicant, during their day’s meditation, was thinking bad, unskillful thoughts, that is: sensual, malicious, and cruel thoughts."

From Abhidhamma in the Tipitaka. Dhatuvibhanga Vb3. (Example where “vitakka” is used for good / wholesome / kusala thoughts).

"Tattha katamā nekkhammadhātu? Nekkhammapaṭisaṁyutto takko vitakko …pe… sammāsaṅkappo—ayaṁ vuccati “nekkhammadhātu”

Translation of that passage from learning materials I learn from. (Not my translation).

“What is the element of renunciation? Takka, vitakka, sankappa, appana, byappana (remaing there, which is related to vicara), which lead to establishing correct views (leading to the removal of defilements).”

I’m not going to mention about Savitakka, Savicara, and Avitakka, Avicara, in this post. Let’s say frank k, if you can find a / some suitable explanations to what those 6 words mean and as well most importantly being able to navigate your way through the maze of :popcorn: English translated sutta’s and other’s interpretations. You should be able find an answer to your question.

I saw you mention something in your op post.

"They should develop the perception of ugliness to give up greed, love to give up hate, mindfulness of breathing to cut off thinking, and perception of impermanence to uproot the conceit ‘I am’."

"asubhā bhāvetabbā rāgassa pahānāya, mettā bhāvetabbā byāpādassa pahānāya, ānāpānassati bhāvetabbā vitakkupacchedāya, aniccasaññā bhāvetabbā asmimānasamugghātāya. Variant: ānāpānassati → ānāpānasati (bj, pts1ed)"

Something for consideration . . . if anyone is practicing those bhavana’s the way it’s being described in English, I hope one can be honest with themselves to see if they feel like it’s helping one to make progress on the path. The way I understand / realized/ know how to practice those bhavana’s . . . is completely different than what’s being described in English as . . .

Back to your op question, it would be / mean “bad thoughts” in this case. Just a quick explanation . . . one needs to withdraw or abstain from akusala dhamma (unwholesome) or “bad thoughts” and arise, keep “good, wholesome, kusala thoughts, or kusala mano & vaci sankhara (samma sankappa, samma vaca, etc . . .) to get into jhana’s . . .
I am a Buddhist that doesn't practice Buddhism. What I practice is nekkhamma, abyāpāda, avihiṁsā, viraga, nirodha or the Noble Eight Fold Path. The elimination / eradication / extermination of defilements, kilesa's, raga, dosa, moha and asava's.

Lineage: Buddha > Sthaviravada > Vibhajjavada > Theravada > Striving for Nibbana.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Noble Sangha wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:21 am Something important to be aware of, if one is not already, is that the “verbal process” is not just speaking from our mouths, but can also be when we talk / speak to ourselves in our own minds, like contemplation, analyzing, etc . . .

There’s an important connection to see with vaci sankhara and sankappa,...
Yes.
Saṃkḷp [ saṃ-√ kḷp ] has the meaning of "to be brought about", in the ChUp.

And Saṃkalpa in the same ChUp., has the meaning of "intention", or "will"
‘Saṃkalpa (saṅkappa/[saṁ+kḷp]) surely is greater than manas (mano). Verily, when one "intends/will", then he intends in his manas (mano), then he sends forth speech, and he sends it forth in a name...’
Saṃkalpo vāva manaso bhūyānyadā vai saṃkalpayate'tha manasyatyatha vācamīrayati tāmu nāmnīrayati nāmni...
ChUP. 7.4.1

If he becomes desirous of the world of fathers (or more desirable objects - 2/10), by his mere will/intention, fathers arise. Possessed of that world of fathers he feels happy and exalted.
sa yadi pitṛlokakāmo bhavati saṃkalpādevāsya pitaraḥ samuttiṣṭhanti tena pitṛlokena saṃpanno mahīyate
ChUP. 8.2.1/10
Depending on the Chandogya Upanishad's translators, saṃkalpa takes the meaning of "intention", or "will". We might even add a strong "wish".
But we definitely see the parallel between this extract and the definition of vacīsaṅkhāra in SN 41.6 and MN 44.
The parallel is seen in the formulation of:
Having formerly wished to act/continue being (Vicāra) , someone breaks into a mental (mano type of) speech/wording (Vitakka) , therefore Vicāra and Vitakka are verbal determinations.
Pubbe kho āvuso visākha vitakketvā vicāretvā pacchā vācaṃ bhindati. Tasmā vitakkavicārā vacīsaṅkhāro.
MN 44/SN41.6
-------

When one wishes to act (vicāra), one intends/will (saṅkappa) // "speaks" in one's mano (vitakka) — namely, the mental representation process — then one sends forth speech in a name — namely, the expression process.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

in first jhana, there is mind voice. or mind chatter. mind chatter making sound is mind sence, not ear sence.

imagine u are happy and still thnk of something. similarly in first jhana. there is mind voice as well as piti sukka in background as main feeling.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm in first jhana, there is mind voice. or mind chatter. mind chatter making sound is mind sence, not ear sence.

imagine u are happy and still thnk of something. similarly in first jhana. there is mind voice as well as piti sukka in background as main feeling.
There are no verbal thoughts in any Jhāna. Such thoughts are coarse, a subtle hindrance. Jhānas are states of stillness. Normal thinking is like waves disturbing the still pool (Jhāna).
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:21 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm in first jhana, there is mind voice. or mind chatter. mind chatter making sound is mind sence, not ear sence.

There are no verbal thoughts in any Jhāna. Such thoughts are coarse, a subtle hindrance. Jhānas are states of stillness. Normal thinking is like waves disturbing the still pool (Jhāna).
in first jhana there is ability to project thoughts intentionally but in 2nd jhana the ability is not possible as u become phenomena itself
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:28 pm

in first jhana there is ability to project thoughts intentionally but in 2nd jhana the ability is not possible as u become phenomena itself
If there are verbal thoughts occurring in Jhāna, then it's a weak one.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:28 pm

If there are verbal thoughts occurring in Jhāna, then it's a weak one.
And yet the Buddha repeatedly stated that first jhana contains vittaka & vicara. They may become subtler as first jhana deepens but their presence is undeniable.

The suttas are littered with explanations with what vittaka & vicara mean (thinking/contemplating), these are the words used by the Buddha. Do you think he used these words in the full knowledge that their real meaning would only become revealed hundreds or a thousand years later by the 'Great Commentators'?

Can you point to one sutta that describes vittaka & vicara as initial & applied 'attention'? I say attention because Buddhaghosa has reinvented 'thinking' as mere attention.
auto

Post by auto »

BrokenBones wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:44 pm Can you point to one sutta that describes vittaka & vicara as initial & applied 'attention'? I say attention because Buddhaghosa has reinvented 'thinking' as mere attention.
Its the translators and rumors in your case what spread these ideas that he reinvented thinking as mere attention..

It takes 5 seconds to search vitakka in Visuddhimagga,
First search hit,
wrote:Herein, applied thinking (vitakkana) is applied
thought (vitakka); hitting upon, is what is meant.25 It has the characteristic of
directing the mind on to an object (mounting the mind on its object). Its function
is to strike at and thresh—for the meditator is said, in virtue of it, to have the
object struck at by applied thought, threshed by applied thought. It is manifested
as the leading of the mind onto an object.
in case of vicara,
wrote:Sustained thinking (vicaraóa) is sustained
thought (vicára); continued sustainment (anusañcaraóa), is what is meant. It has
the characteristic of continued pressure on (occupation with) the object. Its
function is to keep conascent [mental] states [occupied] with that. It is manifested
as keeping consciousness anchored [on that object].
The term occupied, you can find Sutta for vicara and compare with how Visuddhimagga uses it
https://suttacentral.net/an3.61/en/sujato?layout=sidebyside&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin wrote: Seeing a sight with the eye, one is preoccupied with a sight that’s a basis for happiness or sadness or equanimity.
Cakkhunā rūpaṁ disvā somanassaṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati domanassaṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati upekkhāṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati,
I could guess most of your BS is because of Ceiswir and other such fellows with the ideas of having senses off concentration.. not sure why you let them mess with your opinion what is written in commentaries.
auto

Post by auto »

frank k wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:04 am Here, Sujato correctly translates vitakka as 'thinking',
Sujato translation, AN 9.1
They should develop the perception of ugliness to give up greed, love to give up hate, mindfulness of breathing to cut off thinking, and perception of impermanence to uproot the conceit ‘I am’.
asubhā bhāvetabbā rāgassa pahānāya, mettā bhāvetabbā byāpādassa pahānāya, ānāpānassati bhāvetabbā vitakkupacchedāya, aniccasaññā bhāvetabbā asmimānasamugghātāya. Variant: ānāpānassati → ānāpānasati (bj, pts1ed)

But I'm wondering how Ajahn Brahm, Sujato, Vism. use that instruction to get from first jhāna to second jhāna.
How how Tv Commentary explain that sutta passage?
Who knows maybe read it from Visuddhimagga?
In Visuddhimagga it is also said mindfulness of breathing is to cut off vitakka,
wrote:Hence it is said:
“Mindfulness of breathing should be developed in order to cut off applied
thoughts” (A IV 353).