Path of "Right Endurance" of Ven. Nyanamoli (from Hillside Hermitage) incompatible with the Noble Eightfold Path

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
User019336

Re: Path of "Right Endurance" of Ven. Nyanamoli (from Hillside Hermitage) incompatible with the Noble Eightfold Path

Post by User019336 »

keller wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:22 pm I only meant to point out that requiring all teachings regarding the Dhamma be direct quotations from them is ridiculous.
I don't really expect this from monks because their teachers and the teachers of their teachers didn't have the luxury of having 2-3 translations of every sutta and pali dictionaries complete with the collective brainpower of near the entire sangha at their finger tips 24/7.

I do not expect a monk of Nyanamoli's generation to know all the texts before ordaining nor do i expect him to have teachers, opportunity or time to study the texts.

I am not here to put down anybody but we have to be honest about these things and eventually things will change.

Nyanamoli is a clever person, a senior monk (must be doing something right), and he did a very admirable thing going against the tradition as a westener! He is a pioneer in showing that it is possible.

He is still young, has access to the internet and i wouldn't be surprised if this is not his final form.
User019336

Re: Path of "Right Endurance" of Ven. Nyanamoli (from Hillside Hermitage) incompatible with the Noble Eightfold Path

Post by User019336 »

User019336 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:47 pm He is a pioneer in showing that it is possible.
This is very important because nowadays it's difficult to ordain if you are a memorizer. Neither the Thai Ajahn tradition nor the Burmese Commentary tradition is going to welcome you with open arms. Not many want or can deal with a supposed know-it-all junior monk for 5 years...
Lucilius

Post by Lucilius »

Sasha_A wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:59 pmSo, in my opinion, what was said in SN56.30, can only be true and not be in direct contradiction with many other suttas in case of arahant, because only arahant "truly arrived at this Dhamma" by "discerning stress, the origination of stress, the cessation of stress, and the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress".

Sotopanna is still a discipline, there is still something, that he or she do not understand about the four noble truth - and that's why sotopanna is still not an arahant in the first place.
This ignores a few important issues:
1. diṭṭhi-sampanna (consummate in/endowed with view) is an epiphet for a sotapañña.

SN 13.1:
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. Then the Blessed One, picking up a little bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monks, “What do you think, monks? Which is greater: the little bit of dust I have picked up with the tip of my fingernail, or the great earth?”

“The great earth is far greater, lord. The little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail is next to nothing. It’s not a hundredth, a thousandth, a one hundred-thousandth—this little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail—when compared with the great earth.”

“In the same way, monks, for a disciple of the noble ones who is consummate in view, an individual who has broken through (to stream-entry), the suffering & stress totally ended & extinguished is far greater. That which remains in the state of having at most seven remaining lifetimes is next to nothing: It’s not a hundredth, a thousandth, a one hundred-thousandth, when compared with the previous mass of suffering. That’s how great the benefit is of breaking through to the Dhamma, monks. That’s how great the benefit is of obtaining the Dhamma eye.”
(transl. Ven. Thānissaro Bhikkhu, https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN13_1.html)

2. There are numerous suttas showing that a sotapañña has right view, i.e. knowledge in terms of the 4 noble truths.

SN 55.5:
“Sāriputta, ‘The stream, the stream’: Thus it is said. And what, Sāriputta, is the stream?”

“This noble eightfold path, lord, is the stream: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.”

“Excellent, Sariputta! Excellent! This noble eightfold path—right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration—is the stream.

“Sāriputta, ‘A streamwinner, a streamwinner’: Thus it is said. And what, Sāriputta, is a streamwinner?”

“Anyone endowed with this noble eightfold path, lord, is a streamwinner.”

“Excellent, Sariputta! Excellent! Anyone endowed with this noble eightfold path [including right view!] is a streamwinner.”
(transl. Ven. Thānissaro Bhikkhu, https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN55_5.html)

SN 45.8:
“And what, monks, is right view? Knowledge with regard to [or: in terms of] stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the stopping of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the stopping of stress: This, monks, is called right view.”
(transl. Ven. Thānissaro Bhikkhu, https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN45_8.html)

The aforementioned SN 48.53:
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Kosambī at Ghosita’s monastery. There he addressed the monks, “Monks, is there a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner [i.e., a person who has attained at least stream-entry, but has not yet reached arahantship], standing at the level of a learner, can discern that ‘I am a learner,’ and whereby a monk who is an adept [i.e., an arahant], standing at the level of an adept, can discern that ‘I am an adept’?” [...]

The Blessed One said, “There is a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that ‘I am a learner,’ and whereby a monk who is an adept, standing at the level of an adept, can discern that ‘I am an adept.’

“And what is the manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that ‘I am a learner’? There is the case where a monk is a learner. He discerns, as it has come to be, that ‘This is stress… This is the origination of stress… This is the cessation of stress… This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.’ This is a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that ‘I am a learner.’
[...]
(transl. Ven. Thānissaro Bhikkhu, https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN48_53.html)

So, if anything, MN 9 would be the outlier that contradicts the other suttas when adopting your interpretation of it, i.e. that only an arahant has right view and knowledge in terms of the 4 noble truths.

Now, MN 9 and the passage you quoted of it are very interesting.

Ven. Bhikkhu Anālayo writes in BUDDHIST STUDIES REVIEW, Volume 22, Part 1, page 5 (2005):
At times the absence of a particular statement or passage in the Chinese version helps to highlight that its occurrence in the Pali version does not fit the context very well. Such a case occurs in the Sammādiṭṭhi Sutta [MN 9], a discourse expounding various ways of having right view. This discourse has parallels in the Madhyama Āgama, the Saṃyukta Āgama and in a Sanskrit fragment. The Pali version of this discourse concludes each exposition of how to have right view by bringing up the abandoning of the underlying tendencies to lust, irritation, and the conceited view ‘I am’, together with overcoming ignorance and making an end of dukkha. This passage does not occur at all in the Chinese and Sanskrit versions. A closer consideration shows this statement to be out of context, since to overcome ignorance and to make an end of dukkha represent full awakening [i.e. arahatta], whereas the topic of having right view is concerned with stream-entry. The Pali discourse follows each reference to overcoming ignorance and making an end of dukkha by declaring that ‘to that extent’ (ettāvatā) a noble disciple is endowed with right view and has gained perfect confidence in the teaching. Yet such right view and perfect confidence are already gained with stream-entry, at which stage the underlying tendencies are far from being abandoned, ignorance has not yet been fully overcome and the making an end of dukkha is still to be accomplished. Hence the expression ‘to that extent’ does not tally with the content of the passage to which it refers. This suggests that the Chinese and Sanskrit versions of this discourse, which do not have this passage at all, present a more convincing reading in this instance.
Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi renders the "ettāvatā pi kho" as "in that way, too" in the second refrain in each section, which I think resolves these apparent contradictions; it is not only an arahant that has right view, but the arahant has also arrived at right view (obviously).

Section on the 4 noble truths in MN 9:
[1st refrain:]
“When, friends, a noble disciple understands suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the way leading to the cessation of suffering, in that way he is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has unwavering confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma.” [-> This would then refer to a sotapañña (~arahant).]

[...]

[2nd refrain:]
“When a noble disciple has thus understood suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the way leading to the cessation of suffering, he entirely abandons the underlying tendency to lust, he abolishes the underlying tendency to aversion, he extirpates the underlying tendency to the view and conceit ‘I am,’ and by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge he here and now makes an end of suffering. [-> This would be referring to the arahant, specifically.] In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view whose view is straight, who has unwavering confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma.”
(transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, https://suttacentral.net/mn9/en/bodhi?r ... ight=false)

With metta.
Lucilius

Post by Lucilius »

@keller, @SDC,
keller wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 pm ...
SDC wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:35 pm ...
thank you for your replies, and thank you @SDC for alerting me to the video.

Unfortunately, I am quite busy at the moment (until the end of the next week), which is why I haven't been able to respond, as I want to thoroughly consider what you have written.
I will respond when I have more time to do so.

With metta.
Last edited by Lucilius on Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucilius

Post by Lucilius »

User019336 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:24 pm No friend, the passion for one's resolve is passion for one's resolve, the passion for one's resolve is not "these things" [Acting out of sensual thoughts, accepting them without reflection, not enduring them with sense restraint].

Whether you act on it or not. It is the desire that needs to be subdued.

A person enduring the burning with sensual desire can't claim i am free from sensuality because i am not acting out.
sadhu, sadhu,
my thoughts exactly..

With metta.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Lucilius wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:50 pm
Unfortunately, I am quite busy at the moment (until the end of the next week), which is why I haven't been able to respond, as I want to thoroughly consider what you have written.
I will respond when I have more time to do so.

With metta.
I know the feeling. As long as the discussion is meaningful, it doesn’t matter how quickly it happens.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
keller

Post by keller »

Lucilius wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:54 pm
User019336 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:24 pm No friend, the passion for one's resolve is passion for one's resolve, the passion for one's resolve is not "these things" [Acting out of sensual thoughts, accepting them without reflection, not enduring them with sense restraint].

Whether you act on it or not. It is the desire that needs to be subdued.

A person enduring the burning with sensual desire can't claim i am free from sensuality because i am not acting out.
sadhu, sadhu,
my thoughts exactly..

With metta.

Thus we arrive at the metaphysics of passion/ignorance/clinging. I am actually in the process of writing a book that will give thorough treatment to this topic, but in lieu of that more detailed analysis, I'll restrain myself to some brief remarks. [Acting out of sensual thoughts, accepting them without reflection, not enduring with sense restraint] are indeed not the same as passion/ignorance/craving. However, both sets of phenomenon are actually not phenomena at all. They have no form; they are not "in" the aggregates. This is just as true for the set of verbs [acting, accepting, enduring] as it is for the nouns [passion, ignorance, craving]. Action is temporal, and thus equally inscrutable and fundamentally metaphysical as time itself. It is also in this realm of metaphysical conditioning and temporality that the nouns reside. Though both sets are not the aggregates, they both cannot be discerned apart from the aggregates. We know our freedom for action and its results by their signs, just as we know, if we are primed to be sensitive to it, sensuality by its signs-- signs within the multiplicity of phenomenal primitives presented within the aggregates. This potential for knowledge arises by way of mindfulness as a capacity of memory, wresting knowledge out of the future into the present by way of the past: knowledge beyond the aggregates, knowledge regarding their nature.

So while these sets of verbs and nouns are not the same, they are both equally metaphysical, though the nouns are of course more primordial than the verbs. But the verbs are that which we are in more intimate relationship with. They are, though less "solid" then a feeling or a form, still more readily accessible and "workable" than the nouns. They are, indeed, the very signs of the nouns, though less fundamental.

Thus, while [acting out of sensual thoughts, accepting them without reflection, not enduring with sense restraint] are not the same as [passion, ignorance, craving], they are practically nearly identical and at least highly related despite not being exactly theoretically equivalent. I apologize for the equivocation, but I still wanted to point out that such equivocation is not a massive stretch.
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

Lucilius wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:23 pm Ven. Nyanamolis "path of 'right endurance'" seems to be against right effort and therefore incompatible with the noble eightfold path (as laid out in the suttas).

Excerpt from "The Right Endurance" from Ven. Nyanamolis book "Dhamma Within Reach - A Guide to Endurance, Patience and Wisdom" (download: https://www.hillsidehermitage.org/new-book/):
Q: What is the middle way between asceticism and sensual indulgence? Is it the practice of enduring (neither giving in to or denying) thoughts?

Nyanamoli: That’s the way to cultivate the middle way.
Acting out of sensual thoughts, accepting them without reflection, not enduring them with sense restraint—that is what Sensuality is. [...]
Once you realize that acting out of sensual thoughts is bad, you will probably naturally jump to the conclusion that you mustn’t have those thoughts to begin with. That you must get rid of them and prevent them from manifesting. That is how you go to the other extreme: denial of thoughts.
You need to differentiate between “withstanding arisen thoughts” (enduring) and trying to “get rid of the presence of arisen thoughts” (denying).
The latter way is equally ignoble to the habitual giving in to sensual thoughts. That way can take you into that other extreme of self-mortification and extreme denials.
Physical endurance is hard, but it’s not as hard as enduring a presence of a sensual thought without acting out of it or trying to deny its presence.
[...] Allowing thoughts to endure without acting out of them, would be the beginning of the Middle Way.
From Hillside Hermitages video "Escape from the Body":
{15:46} [Nyanamoli:] The mind of lust is there, that needs to be endured. So the mind of lust is there, I must not act out of it. And if you're jumping into practice of asubha [i.e. the contemplation of the unattractiveness of the body in order to get rid of that lust] immidiately, you're acting out of it. You're not allowing it to be for what it is, that is the phenomenon of lust, the mind affected with lust; you're trying to get rid of it.
{16:05} And which is exactly the motion of sensuality. Lust is present, you jump into the sensuality to get rid of that painful
'itch'.
Compare this to:

MN 2: which āsava are to be abandoned by enduring/tolerating? which ones are to be abandoned by destroying/removing?

SN 45.8:
And what, monks, is right effort? (i) There is the case where a monk generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the non-arising of evil, unskillful qualities that have not yet arisen.
(ii) He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the abandoning of evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen.
(iii) He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the arising of skillful qualities that have not yet arisen. (iv) He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the maintenance, non-confusion, increase, plenitude, development, & culmination of skillful qualities that have arisen. This, monks, is called right effort.
(transl. Ven. Thānissaro Bhikkhu, https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN45_8.html)

And how can one remove unskillful thoughts such as sensual desire?
MN 20 shows 5 ways to get rid of unskillful thoughts; some of which are what Ven. Nyanamoli would call "denying" thoughts (e.g. replacing it with another, skillful thought)
(ironically, he even quotes the sutta in the article..).
I agree 100% with Ajahn. Not through words only but 💯 through experience. He knows what he’s saying.
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

For example lust.

Some people think it’s like evil or something. It is what it is. It’s neither good nor bad, if people did not have sexual intercourse none of us would exist.

Some people deny these thoughts, and it just grows.

Telling a kid sex is bad is like saying he can’t have a candy at the top of the fridge that he knows taste good.

It will grow and grow. You just accept it, you experience it, you see the suffering it causes and you let go, that’s it.
Lucilius

Post by Lucilius »

dharmalotus48 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:28 am You just accept it [...]
But doesn't Ven. Nyanamoli say that you should not accept them?
Neither accepting lust nor denying it would be "enduring" it "correctly", according to him..

Or am I just misunderstanding what you are saying here?

With metta.
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

Lucilius wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:34 am
dharmalotus48 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:28 am You just accept it [...]
But doesn't Ven. Nyanamoli say that you should not accept them?
Neither accepting lust nor denying it would be "enduring" it "correctly", according to him..

Or am I just misunderstanding what you are saying here?

With metta.
To accept without accepting.

If a thought of lust comes, you see, do not judge. That way you are accepting.

By not acting out of lust, you are not accepting it.

That is what Ven Nyanamoli means. You are doing both at the same time.

Neither standing in place, treading backwards, or moving forwards

That is my understanding my friend. :anjali:
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I don't really see the contradiction here. When we nitpick the teachings, do we miss the point?
Zom

Post by Zom »

And how does a mendicant not pick out flies’ eggs?
It’s when a mendicant tolerates a sensual, malicious, or cruel thought that has arisen. They tolerate any bad, unskillful qualities that have arisen. They don’t give them up, get rid of them, eliminate them, and obliterate them.

MN 33
:reading: 8-)
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

bpallister wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:59 pm I don't really see the contradiction here. When we nitpick the teachings, do we miss the point?
zom wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:02 am And how does a mendicant not pick out flies’ eggs?
It’s when a mendicant tolerates a sensual, malicious, or cruel thought that has arisen. They tolerate any bad, unskillful qualities that have arisen. They don’t give them up, get rid of them, eliminate them, and obliterate them.
MN 33
:reading: 8-)
+1
Exquisite!
Carry on ...
Zom

Post by Zom »

Carrying on.. 8-)

“Bhikkhus, if a sensual thought, a thought of ill will, or a thought of harming arises in a bhikkhu while walking, and he tolerates it, does not abandon it, dispel it, terminate it, and obliterate it, then that bhikkhu is said to be devoid of ardor and moral dread; he is constantly and continuously lazy and lacking in energy while walking.

“If a sensual thought … arises in a bhikkhu while standing … If a sensual thought … arises in a bhikkhu while sitting … If a sensual thought, a thought of ill will, or a thought of harming arises in a bhikkhu while wakefully lying down, and he tolerates it, does not abandon it, dispel it, terminate it, and obliterate it, then that bhikkhu is said to be devoid of ardor and moral dread; he is constantly and continuously lazy and lacking in energy while wakefully lying down.

AN 4.11