Hello from Burt

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
bodhiburt

Hello from Burt

Post by bodhiburt »

Hello all- my name is Burt.... its been a long journey that brought me to Theravada Buddhism.

Very briefly- I was interested in New Age and Spiritual things in High School... and in college I took a course in Asian Religions.

I fell in love with them all- Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism. I was a yes to all of them.

Thus began a long long journey, exploring, seeking. Along the way I realized part of what i was seeking was a relief from intense depression and addictive behavior.

I loved EVERYTHING spiritual.... and was kind of obsessive about it. I slowly drifted towards Hinduism.

Nothing really seemed to help with the addictions and depression MANY things helped in the short term.

I studied some Christian Mysticism around 2012 and had some actual physical healings. This converted me from an agnostic to a believer in some higher power (not clearly defined).

A life shattering event happened in 2013 and I slowly began to fall apart. Nothing worked. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of.... eventually I took a course on Mindful Self-Compassion and had a feeling that part of the answer was there. This led me to explore "Dharma Recovery" a Buddhist inspired addictions recovery program based on the 4 Noble Truths and the 8-Fold path.

I was in shocked at the utter simplicity of the 8 fold path and of NOT getting into metaphysical speculation.

Most of the things I had explored were VERY complicated and stock full of metaphysical speculation and focus.

So for the time being I have put aside everything else and diving deeply into Theravada Dhamma,

Grateful to be alive and grateful to be here.
SarathW

Re: Hello from Burt

Post by SarathW »

:hello: Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

:anjali: Welcome!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Welcome, Burt. Glad to have you here. :hello:
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha