Nine Qualities of Buddha

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Microdose

Nine Qualities of Buddha

Post by Microdose »

Hello everyone

I was told that all i need to know about buddha dhamma is the nine qualities of the buddha

There are altogether nine important qualities of the Buddha. In Pali, the nine
qualities are:
1. araham,
2. samma-sambuddho,
3. vijjacarana-sampanno,
4. sugato,
5. lokavidu,
6. anuttaro-purisa-dhammasarathi,
7. sattha-deva-manussanam,
8. buddho
9.Bhagava

Could someone help me to give translation of these terms in a way that is good for meditation and also why one would only need these. It was told to me by a old Thai Lady who lives near me who i speak to once in a while.
SarathW

Re: Nine Qualities of Buddha

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I was told that all i need to know about buddha dhamma is the nine qualities of the buddha
In my opinion, this statement is not completely correct.
I would say knowing the Four Noble Truths is what you have to know about the Buddha Dhamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Obviously the Thai lady is wrong.

The Buddha said:
This Dhamma that I have attained is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, peaceful, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. But this generation delights in attachment, is excited by attachment, enjoys attachment. For a generation delighting in attachment, excited by attachment, enjoying attachment, this/that conditionality and dependent co-arising are hard to see. This state, too, is hard to see: the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.
Ayacana Sutta SN6:1

Though the Dhamma taught by the Buddha is unfathomable, but it revolves around Four Noble Truths. We Buddhists should learn, understand and see the Four Noble Truths.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Maybe it is me who is wrong, a better way to say it is, if i want to know what is buddha i should learn the nine qualities of the Buddha

She is very calm, wise, uncomplicated and i can see she has lived her whole life around this, she radiates calm and peace

So maybe say again

Would someone like to help me understand this deeper

Itipi so Bhagava Araham, Samma-Sambuddho, Vijja-Carana
Sampano, Sugato, Lokavidu, Anuttaro Purisa Dhamma
Sarathi, Sattha Deva-Manussanam, Buddho, Bhagava.

i read something's over time by Ajahn Sumedho, he talks a lot about the four noble truths , His teacher Ajahn Chah gave many types of teachings, as ajhan Amaro says who gives voice over for many of his teachins says each teaching was for the ones who he was teaching, so there wasnt any fixed teaching he repeated again and again. I like this , it feels more natural

Different teachers seem to emphasise certain teachings but it all binds together for me

Thank you
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Microdose wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:29 am Maybe it is me who is wrong, a better way to say it is, if i want to know what is buddha i should learn the nine qualities of the Buddha

She is very calm, wise, uncomplicated and i can see she has lived her whole life around this, she radiates calm and peace

So maybe say again

i read something's over time by Ajahn Sumedho, he talks a lot about the four noble truths , His teacher Ajahn Chah gave many types of teachings, as ajhan Amaro says who gives voice over for many of his teachins says each teaching was for the ones who he was teaching, so there wasnt any fixed teaching he repeated again and again. I like this , it feels more natural

Different teachers seem to emphasise certain teachings but it all binds together for me

Thank you
Yes, it all sounds fine to me. Rather than argue about the "essence" of the Buddha's teaching, it seems useful to start with what one enjoys or what makes sense, and then explore and see what else comes into focus.

A good place to start would be with the link provided by SarathW above. I have reservations about one explanation (the first bit of Sugato) but otherwise this is a useful little introduction.
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Ajahn Punnadhammo describes the nine qualities in this video on Buddhanusati:
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

Microdose wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:33 am ...
Could someone help me to give translation of these terms in a way that is good for meditation and also why one would only need these. It was told to me by a old Thai Lady who lives near me who i speak to once in a while.
If one is fully understood the Buddha's/Dhamma's/Sangha qualities, one will understood 4 Noble Truths and all his teachings. But nowadays, not many people can make the connection.

Most lay followers were asked by Buddha to developed the good morality and dwell in 4 blissful states. Please refer to AN 5.179.
“You should know this, Sāriputta, about those white-clothed laypeople whose actions are restrained in the five precepts, and who get 4 blissful dwelling in the present life belonging to the higher mind when they want, without trouble or difficulty. They may, if they wish, declare of themselves:

‘I’ve finished with rebirth in hell, the animal realm, and the ghost realm. I’ve finished with all places of loss, bad places, the underworld. I am a stream-enterer! I’m not liable to be reborn in the underworld, and am bound for awakening.’
Here is how I translated.

Itipi so Bhagavā Arahaṃ
Sammā·sambuddho,
Vijjā·caraṇa·sampanno,
Sugato,
Loka·vidū,
Anuttaro purisa·damma·sārathi,
Satthā deva·manussānaṃ,
Buddho
Bhagavā ti.

In this way, The Holy One,
Who has broken the bonds,
Who has harmoniously awaken from dream of existence,
Who fully understood good behavior and living according to the knowledge,
Became good character,
Understood the world,
Unsurpassable Trainer of true personality,
Teacher of Gods and Humans,
Awaken,
Holy.

You might also want to hear from Late Bhante Punnaji.
Buddha Qualities (Short version)

Buddha Qualities (Long Version)

Dhamma Qualities

Good Luck.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »

If someone does not respect the teacher, they don't respect teaching. So, learning qualities of Buddha is extreamly important. Especially if you are planning to develop Buddhanussathi meditation. As it is a meditation that can be developed all the way to nirvana. Here is a guide. Good luck! :candle:

http://dhamma-stream.blogspot.com/2013 ... .html?m=1
befriend

Post by befriend »

Joe.c wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:05 am
Microdose wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:33 am ...
If one is fully understood the Buddha's/Dhamma's/Sangha qualities, one will understood 4 Noble Truths and all his teachings. But nowadays, not many people can make the connection.

Most lay followers were asked by Buddha to developed the good morality and dwell in 4 blissful states. Please refer to AN 5.179.
“You should know this, Sāriputta, about those white-clothed laypeople whose actions are restrained in the five precepts, and who get 4 blissful dwelling in the present life belonging to the higher mind when they want, without trouble or difficulty. They may, if they wish, declare of themselves:

‘I’ve finished with rebirth in hell, the animal realm, and the ghost realm. I’ve finished with all places of loss, bad places, the underworld. I am a stream-enterer! I’m not liable to be reborn in the underworld, and am bound for awakening.’
Here is how I translated.

Itipi so Bhagavā Arahaṃ
Sammā·sambuddho,
Vijjā·caraṇa·sampanno,
Sugato,
Loka·vidū,
Anuttaro purisa·damma·sārathi,
Satthā deva·manussānaṃ,
Buddho
Bhagavā ti.

In this way, The Holy One,
Who has broken the bonds,
Who has harmoniously awaken from dream of existence,
Who fully understood good behavior and living according to the knowledge,
Became good character,
Understood the world,
Unsurpassable Trainer of true personality,
Teacher of Gods and Humans,
Awaken,
Holy.

You might also want to hear from Late Bhante Punnaji.
Buddha Qualities (Short version)

Buddha Qualities (Long Version)

Dhamma Qualities

Good Luck.
What are the 4 blissful dwellings?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
analysis

Post by analysis »

Microdose wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:29 am
So maybe say again

Thank you
Happy to see a man who tries to understand the qualities of the Supreme One!

The main place these qualities are explained in detail is Visuddhimagga's chapter on Buddhanussati.
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

befriend wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:20 pm What are the 4 blissful dwellings?
Blissful = Sukha

4 blissful dwellings is usually refer to Samma Samadhi (Jhana). Sometime it is also refer to 4 factors of stream enterer.

When one remembers about Buddha characters (Buddhanussati), Dhamma characters (Dhammanussati), (Ariya) Sangha characters (Sanghanussati), and his/her own unbroken perfected morality (Silanussati), one can get into Samma Samadhi (jhana).

One of the Sutta:
SN 55.40 wrote:...
When they live diligently, joy springs up.
Being joyful, rapture springs up.
When the mind is full of rapture, the body becomes tranquil.
When the body is tranquil, they feel bliss.
And when blissful, the mind is in samādhi.
When the mind is in samādhi, dhamma become developed.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Thanks to everyone for answering and your time to post

🙏