Kasina meditations

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
User019336

Re: Kasina meditations

Post by User019336 »

anagaarika wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:13 pm I´m not sure if I follow you - you say that nothingness can´t be contemplated by itself, but in the sutta you quote it is listed as a perception attainment. If it can be perceived, does it not imply it is also a "something"? Is this "nothing" (not akincayatana) not reserved only for the neither-perception-nor-non-perception, which really cannot be "perceived" as an object since it is somewhere between perceiving and non-percieving?
It's not obvious to me how one would go about it other than by turning away from things which are something.

This generally how one trains for nirodha & nevasannanavasanna as well. One contemplates the drawbacks of the aggregates for a turning away, thinking; 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me. What is, what has come to be, that I abandon'

Rather than contemplating the nirodha or nevasannanavasanna itself thinking ' 'It should be, it should occur to me; it will be, it will occur to me.'
"There is the case, Ananda, where a monk, having practiced in this way — (thinking) 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me. What is, what has come to be, that I abandon' — obtains equanimity. He relishes that equanimity, welcomes it, remains fastened to it. As he relishes that equanimity, welcomes it, remains fastened to it, his consciousness is dependent on it, is sustained by it (clings to it). With clinging/sustenance, Ananda, a monk is not totally unbound."

"Being sustained, where is that monk sustained?"

"The dimension of neither perception nor non-perception."

"Then, indeed, being sustained, he is sustained by the supreme sustenance."

"Being sustained, Ananda, he is sustained by the supreme sustenance; for this — the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception — is the supreme sustenance. There is [however] the case where a monk, having practiced in this way — 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me. What is, what has come to be, that I abandon' — obtains equanimity. He does not relish that equanimity, does not welcome it, does not remain fastened to it. As he does not relish that equanimity, does not welcome it, does not remain fastened to it, his consciousness is not dependent on it, is not sustained by it (does not cling to it). Without clinging/sustenance, Ananda, a monk is totally unbound."
“Whatever exists therein of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating, as void, as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element thus: ‘This is the peaceful, this is the sublime, that is, the stilling of all formations, the relinquishing of all attachments, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, Nibbāna.’ 
It is that contemplating of drawbacks that directs the mind to the Deathless. Therefore even after stream-entry one keeps doing that rather than contemplating the Nirodha;
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self. Which five? Form as a clinging-aggregate, feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness as a clinging-aggregate. A virtuous monk should attend in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self. For it is possible that a virtuous monk, attending in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant... not-self, would realize the fruit of stream-entry."

"Then which things should a monk who has attained stream-entry attend to in an appropriate way?"

"A monk who has attained stream-entry should attend in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self. For it is possible that a monk who has attained stream-entry, attending in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant... not-self, would realize the fruit of once-returning."

"Then which things should a monk who has attained once-returning attend to in an appropriate way?"
[And so on up to Arahantship]
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
The attainment of the perception of nothingness is a feeling-state, it is that and that is something complete with attention, intention, contact & percipience. The contact is at the mind base, the ideation is the conception 'nothing' and one is percipient in this way 'There is nothing'.

The concept of Nothing is something in that it is a concept but it's nothing in particular, it's a unique concept in that, not sure how else to better put it.
Last edited by User019336 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

This may be unrelated, but aren´t the colour kasinas called "the signs of the beautiful"?
I basically hold that anything visible which isn't asubha is subha.

I've never thought much about it before but i thought it's either anything visible which isn't asubha or the particularly beautiful visions like diamonds of which some meditators talk about.

I lean to the former because it makes most sense, is simple and i am generally skeptical when people talk about things neither mentioned in the texts nor seen for myself.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

Having attained the perception of nothingness one can think about that perception & feeling state as something in particular and can ferret out the elements that are it's constituents for a turning away
"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, [perceiving,] 'There is nothing,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of nothingness. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of nothingness — the perception of the dimension of nothingness, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html 
User019336

Post by User019336 »

User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:47 pm The concept of Nothing is something in that it is a concept but it's nothing in particular, it's a unique concept in that, not sure how else to better put it.
In short as i understand it,

When perceiving the boundlessness of space one affirms space and the boundlessness

With the fading of the affirmation of space there is only perception of boundlessness

The two can be grouped together as to their boundless [measurelessness/infinitude] perceptions
“Bhikkhus, there are these four modes of perception. What four? One person perceives what is limited; another perceives what is exalted; another perceives what is measureless; and still another, perceiving ‘There is nothing,’ perceives the base of nothingness.
https://suttacentral.net/an10.29/en/bod ... ight=false
And when the affirmation of boundlessness fades from the mind that equanimity tied to the boundless perceptions is further purified. This is an apex of equanimity in as far as perception attainments go.
Last edited by User019336 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pmThe concept of Nothing is something in that it is a concept but it's nothing in particular, it's a unique concept in that, not sure how else to better put it.
I disagree, and think that the sphere of endless nothingness is an actual perception of "endless nothingness," not merely the concept of endless nothingness. A concept is something that is entertained via the mind. A reality is something that is experienced by the sense bases, which includes "the mind" in Buddhism. The mind itself is not sensory in Western metaphysics.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:16 pm
User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pmThe concept of Nothing is something in that it is a concept but it's nothing in particular, it's a unique concept in that, not sure how else to better put it.
I disagree, and think that the sphere of endless nothingness is an actual perception of "endless nothingness," not merely the concept of endless nothingness.
In that sentence i am talking about the concept. I am not talking about the arupajhana attainment itself.

The attainment is an actual perception, quite exalted at that.
Last edited by User019336 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I disagree, and think that the sphere of endless nothingness is an actual perception of "endless nothingness," not merely the concept of endless nothingness. A concept is something that is entertained via the mind. A reality is something that is experienced by the sense bases, which includes "the mind" in Buddhism. The mind itself is not sensory in Western metaphysics.
Yes. :goodpost:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:18 pmIn that sentence i am talking about the concept. I am not talking about the arupajhana attainment itself.

In that case, I don't understand precisely why you brought up the "concept" of nothingness, but I can respect that differentiation certainly.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:22 pm
User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:18 pmIn that sentence i am talking about the concept. I am not talking about the arupajhana attainment itself.

In that case, I don't understand precisely why you brought up the "concept" of nothingness, but I can respect that differentiation certainly.
I brought it up to explain that it's not something i can readily contemplate like i can contemplate something (which is a class of "things").
User019336

Post by User019336 »

User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:27 pm

I brought it up to explain that it's not something i can readily contemplate like i can contemplate something (which is a class of "things").
If i was to resolve on it, id go like:

'i don't want my percipience to be of anything in particular, let the conception be empty of things and my perception will be thus defined by their absence'

Rather than
'Let my percipience be defined by something [nothing]'

Perhaps i am overthinking it but the expression gets paradoxical and it's a bit confusing.
Last edited by User019336 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:27 pm

In other words

if 'nothing' is one side of a coin and 'all things' are on the other side

Then it's easier for me to contemplate the drawbacks of all things for a turning away to the other side, rather than extolling the virtues of nothing.

Does it make sense?
Last edited by User019336 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

User019336 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:43 pm In other words

if nothing is one side of a coin and 'all things' are on the other side

Then it's easier for me to contemplate the drawbacks of all things for a turning away to the other side, rather than extolling the virtues of nothing.

Does it make sense?
I do think it's significant because extolling the virtue of nothing is otherwise kind of non-sensical, at least when the expression is taken at face value.
User019336

Post by User019336 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:19 pm
Yes. :goodpost:
For the record, It's divorced from the conception 'endless'
“Bhikkhus, there are these four modes of perception. What four? One person perceives what is limited; another perceives what is exalted; another perceives what is measureless; and still another, perceiving ‘There is nothing,’ perceives the base of nothingness
https://suttacentral.net/an10.29/en/bodhi
Anyway i am leaving the forum, it's very stressful & taxing on me. Might be back on a different account sometime in the future.

Good luck