Blank slate vs. reborn

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
KathyLauren

Re: Blank slate vs. reborn

Post by KathyLauren »

santa100 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm Where exactly did you see I said it's acceptable to ignore the suffering of the vast majority? Please provide the exact excerpt or else your claim is pure bull crap. Since at least we agree on the transition as last resort part, are you or are you not ok with the idea of using religion/spirituality as a gentle first approach to the issue? yes or no?
Same place you thought I was advocating ignoring the suffering of 8% or 4%.

You have failed to indicate what treatment the Buddha would have advocated for gender dysphoria. Still, I am all for a Buddhist approach. In fact all transitioners start their transitions by renouncing attachments to the cause of their suffering, whether they are Buddhists or not. It is the hardest part of transition, and no one escapes it.

Kathy
santa100

Post by santa100 »

KathyLauren wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:22 pm Same place you thought I was advocating ignoring the suffering of 8% or 4%.

You have failed to indicate what treatment the Buddha would have advocated for gender dysphoria. Still, I am all for a Buddhist approach. In fact all transitioners start their transitions by renouncing attachments to the cause of their suffering, whether they are Buddhists or not. It is the hardest part of transition, and no one escapes it.

Kathy
Nope, the context that you cited 8% only after I provided the article on people who grew out of it indicate at the very least an intent to not care about the 8% on your part, while there's absolutely nothing on my side that indicates I don't care about about the 92%. There's a clear difference there.

Now, I did provide you info on what the person could do through his listeninging, contemplating, and meditating on the Buddha's teaching. You just chose to ignore it whether intentionally or unintentionally. But at least I'm glad that you said you "are all for a Buddhist approach". That has clearly answered my question to you and I'd have no further problem with you.
asahi

Post by asahi »

As a buddhist we need to take Buddha's teachings seriously . Transition is a solution to individual predicament but mind transformation bring about total freedom .
No bashing No gossiping
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

KathyLauren wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:22 pm
santa100 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm Where exactly did you see I said it's acceptable to ignore the suffering of the vast majority? Please provide the exact excerpt or else your claim is pure bull crap. Since at least we agree on the transition as last resort part, are you or are you not ok with the idea of using religion/spirituality as a gentle first approach to the issue? yes or no?
Same place you thought I was advocating ignoring the suffering of 8% or 4%.

Kathy
He’d probably advise you that “gender” is a “Self View”. All views of “Self” are incorrect fabrications.

Altering your body in terms of look and function isn’t going to resolve the underlying problem that whoever it may be identifies as male or female.

The Buddha was asked if he was a human. He said, “I am not a human. You may refer to me as “awakened”.” How’s that for “species dysphoria”. The Buddha’s solution to his conundrum? Abandon all feeling and perception. Abandon all attachments to rebirth. No satisfaction is to be found in any realm of being. Regardless of gender, sex, preference, etc.

I grew up with bodily dysmorphia surrounding my nose. If I had the means I would have gone for rhinoplasty in a heartbeat at the age of 14.

I grew out of it. I’m happy I didn’t get any plastic surgery. And never in my life have I identified as a man or a woman. I find the notion that anyone feels internally that they are in the wrong body hard to fathom.

Admittedly, I don’t know the first thing about gender dysmorphia. I’m willing to listen and learn, but my inner instinct tells me that drastically altering the body is treating the symptoms, not the underlying condition.

As I said, one of the Buddha’s teachings is that our idea of “self” is mistaken. Dropping that wrong view is a step along the path to happiness.

In other words, dropping the idea that “i’d be happier in a different body” is a means towards coming to terms with the one your currently in. Ultimately, the body is just a part of the skhandas. The skhandas are to be let go of in the process of enlightenment.

But if certain people think it will make them happy, by all means, I’m not going to stop them. I would’ve butchered my nose at the age of 14 if i’d had the means. The psychologists I saw about the problem told me to smile more. It’s only at the age of 40 that I realize the underlying problem was a personal issue with the sense of smell.

For trans people it seems the underlying problem is an issue with identity and genitalia. Both of those “objects” are covered by “feeling” and “mind-objects” (the body and the mind - faculties of perception). I lived half my life not feeling comfortable in my own body. I can relate. But I’ve accepted that my nose will never “look perfect”. My wife is the same. Beautiful, beautiful woman. Everyone tells her. Does she believe it? Of course not. Every once in a while she’ll realize how lucky she is to be pretty. But most of the time she has a completely opposite view of her self.

My point is that we come to terms with our bodies at a certain age. And we realize that all of the time our insecurities have been a product of sense perception and self views.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Thank you, Pondera, for a more thoughtful post than many in this thread.

One misconception that most people hold about being transgender is that it is a "want". It is not. It is physiological. It can be measured on an MRI scan. It is present from before birth and never goes away until death. So efforts to "pray the gay away", or in this case "meditate the trans away" are futile. Which is not to say that meditation is of no use, just that its effects will be limited.

Imagine, if you will, that someone has a neurological condition that causes them to feel extreme pain in their foot. Would the Buddha say that the pain is a "self-view"? *Shrug* Maybe he would. Would he say that meditation would make the pain go away? Probably not. Would he say that meditation would help him to not wish the pain away? Probably. But accepting severe pain would be an advanced meditation, not for beginners. Would the Buddha suggest taking painkillers to help? I don't know, would he? I think he would, but perhaps you don't.

Gender dysphoria (not "dysmorphia") is like that. It is caused by a physiological condition. Yes, you can, with good mental discipline, learn to live with it. I know people who have done so. Perhaps an advanced meditator can not only live with it but also not wish it would go away. I don't know anyone who has successfully done that.

So, the question is, would the Buddha have recommended medical treatment in addition to meditation? As with the painkillers, I think he would, but perhaps you disagree. We can agree that the canonical literature is silent on the subject.

On the other hand, as I stated in several posts above, letting go of attachments is key to managing dysphoria. Everyone who transitions has done so. When you think of attachments causing suffering in this case, you, like anyone who is not trans, will assume that the relevant attachment is the desire to transition. Not so. The attachment that causes the bulk of a trans person's suffering is an attachment to NOT transitioning.

They are told by just about everyone that transition is wrong, it is evil, it is the work of the devil, etc.. They take that on as a duty, and the attachment to it, the resistance to transition, the pressure to conform, is what causes most of their suffering. When they let go of that and allow themselves to transition, the suffering goes away. Imagine that!

Transition does not always involve medical procedures, another popular misconception. For many people, social transition would be sufficient. Unfortunately, society is not ready for that, as several legal cases in the past few years have demonstrated. So the medical procedures are often a way to ease their passage in a hostile society. Would the Buddha advocate stoically accepting abuse as a way to reduce suffering? I don't think so.

Regards,
Kathy
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Thank you for that. Very informative. As I said I know little about gender dysphoria and have a hard time relating.

Not to brag my way up the “I have the shytiest life” pole - but along with bodily dysmorphia in my teens, I developed schizophrenia in my adult years.

Now, it’s the thoughts that drive you bonkers. And I know I was genetically predisposed to it because it runs in the family. Like GD - the mechanisms of schizophrenia are poorly understood. Like GD - the stigma can do a lot of damage.

In my experience, medication is an absolute must. To be quite honest, my greatest fear regarding a world wide war, famine, or crises of some kind isn’t dying by the gun or starving or being obliterated by a nuke. It’s when the seroquel runs out and I go way, way, way into the arms of my illness.

Having said that. I am a high functioning schizo with a job, and a mortgage, and a life partner (here I go bragging again) in large part due to things my wife and I refer to as “voodoo”. This is my way of telling my wife “I don’t expect you to use these meditative techniques, however they are essential for me.”

And they essentially keep me voice free, and delusion free 88% of the time. Now. My point there is that it is clear as you’ve said that GD is physiological. Much like my persistent voices, coming to terms with the mental suffering is psychological.

My condition is a perceptual malfunction. My faculties work fine, but I did not mature into an adult in such a way that my brain and mind were able to sort out one from another. For example, I am of the unfortunate mind set that I can influence objects outside of my body in ways that are impossible. If I can see it, I can touch it, even if I can’t. This is a bad wiring that I have to deal with.

Much of the teachings of sense restraint, and learning to let go of ideas mixed up with self and perception (which I believe we find in Buddhism) are useful to me in my attempt to ground my self in the present moment without delusions about what is and is not my self, what I can and cannot influence, on top of a pernicious voice in the back of my mind which is dead set on my continual misery. It’s phucked up, I know.

In the same vein. I wonder how people with GD might approach their view of body and self in a Buddhist way to make it easier for them to cope with the stress? What elements of perception and feeling cause them distress? How is that distress tied in with their sense of self? Is there an “inner critic” making things harder? Can Buddhist methods alleviate the web of misperception and mixed up ideas of self? I admit the condition exists, mind you. I just wonder having self administered Buddhist ideas to the betterment of my own physiological/psychological condition.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
thepea

Post by thepea »

KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:10 pm
One misconception that most people hold about being transgender is that it is a "want". It is not. It is physiological. It can be measured on an MRI scan. It is present from before birth and never goes away until death. So efforts to "pray the gay away", or in this case "meditate the trans away" are futile. Which is not to say that meditation is of no use, just that its effects will be limited.

Imagine, if you will, that someone has a neurological condition that causes them to feel extreme pain in their foot. Would the Buddha say that the pain is a "self-view"? *Shrug* Maybe he would. Would he say that meditation would make the pain go away? Probably not. Would he say that meditation would help him to not wish the pain away? Probably. But accepting severe pain would be an advanced meditation, not for beginners. Would the Buddha suggest taking painkillers to help? I don't know, would he? I think he would, but perhaps you don't.

Gender dysphoria (not "dysmorphia") is like that. It is caused by a physiological condition. Yes, you can, with good mental discipline, learn to live with it. I know people who have done so. Perhaps an advanced meditator can not only live with it but also not wish it would go away. I don't know anyone who has successfully done that.

So, the question is, would the Buddha have recommended medical treatment in addition to meditation? As with the painkillers, I think he would, but perhaps you disagree. We can agree that the canonical literature is silent on the subject.

On the other hand, as I stated in several posts above, letting go of attachments is key to managing dysphoria. Everyone who transitions has done so. When you think of attachments causing suffering in this case, you, like anyone who is not trans, will assume that the relevant attachment is the desire to transition. Not so. The attachment that causes the bulk of a trans person's suffering is an attachment to NOT transitioning.

They are told by just about everyone that transition is wrong, it is evil, it is the work of the devil, etc.. They take that on as a duty, and the attachment to it, the resistance to transition, the pressure to conform, is what causes most of their suffering. When they let go of that and allow themselves to transition, the suffering goes away. Imagine that!

Transition does not always involve medical procedures, another popular misconception. For many people, social transition would be sufficient. Unfortunately, society is not ready for that, as several legal cases in the past few years have demonstrated. So the medical procedures are often a way to ease their passage in a hostile society. Would the Buddha advocate stoically accepting abuse as a way to reduce suffering? I don't think so.

Regards,
Kathy
1. Nobody is suggesting to pray the gay away, and I am saying if you have a healthy function body the issue is mental. So the solution must be mental.
The body is impermanent and unsatisfactory and as ponders mentions there are many things each of us would desire to change, but this is craving and will eventually turn into aversion as is the law of nature with regards to clinging to impermanent things.

2. Pain is a gross concept, insight practices train one to observe or look deeply at pain. To try to locate and describe it. Where is the pain and what does it feel like? Is it pulsing, stretching, piercing, tingling, burning, freezing, pulsing, etc.... this looking is wisdom or insight. This concept of foot in pain breaks apart and dissolves ultimately the deeper we look. The issue of gender dysphoria pain would be looked at the same way.

3. Gender dysphoria is a mental issue. Full stop

4. Buddha taught insight meditation or Vipassanā. That’s it.

5.nobody can let go of attachments through physical altercation.

6.you are master of your vessel. Do with it as you please. If you find a dr who will mutilate it at your whim, go ahead. The universe will not implode, but this is a sin.

6. This is samsara, and we all purchased the ticket so enjoy the ride or get off. You have to find the exit.
Cut it off, stick a new one on, make friends lose friends, be popular be hated,all part of the ride. But those things ain’t gonna stop it.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

thepea wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:08 pm
KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:10 pm

Regards,
Kathy
1. Nobody is suggesting to pray the gay away, and I am saying if you have a healthy function body the issue is mental. So the solution must be mental.
The body is impermanent and unsatisfactory and as ponders mentions there are many things each of us would desire to change, but this is craving and will eventually turn into aversion as is the law of nature with regards to clinging to impermanent things.

2. Pain is a gross concept, insight practices train one to observe or look deeply at pain. To try to locate and describe it. Where is the pain and what does it feel like? Is it pulsing, stretching, piercing, tingling, burning, freezing, pulsing, etc.... this looking is wisdom or insight. This concept of foot in pain breaks apart and dissolves ultimately the deeper we look. The issue of gender dysphoria pain would be looked at the same way.

3. Gender dysphoria is a mental issue. Full stop

4. Buddha taught insight meditation or Vipassanā. That’s it.

5.nobody can let go of attachments through physical altercation.

6.you are master of your vessel. Do with it as you please. If you find a dr who will mutilate it at your whim, go ahead. The universe will not implode, but this is a sin.

6. This is samsara, and we all purchased the ticket so enjoy the ride or get off. You have to find the exit.
Cut it off, stick a new one on, make friends lose friends, be popular be hated,all part of the ride. But those things ain’t gonna stop it.
“ Gender dysphasia is a mental issue”

Who was it who said the mind is foremost in all phenomena?

Metta

:anjali:
thepea

Post by thepea »

NotMe wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:56 pm
“ Gender dysphasia is a mental issue”

Who was it who said the mind is foremost in all phenomena?

Metta

IDK but from the movie platoon someone said “free the mind and your ass will follow.”
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:54 pm ...
It is easy to say that the self doesn't exist, that it is an illusion of samsara and should be easy to transcend. And that, since gender is a phenomenon of self-identity, that it, too, should be easy to overcome.

The thing is that everything in samsara is an illusion. Self is the hardest illusion to overcome, because literally everything else in samsara reinforces the illusion of self. It is easier to realize that a table or a system of government or the universe does not exist than that the self does not exist. We can know intellectually that it is so but I would venture to say that none of us has overcome the illusion of self.

So telling trans people that they should set aside notions of self identity, while the speaker himself routinely jumps into his non-existent car and drives on nonexistent highways to a nonexistent place of work is a bit hypocritical. If the speaker can treat all those illusions as though they exist, a little compassion would be in order for someone who thinks that they have a gendered self.

I don't have a good understanding of schizophrenia. I am sorry to hear that you experience it, and I am glad that it is mostly under control. What I do understand of it is that the person has difficulty distinguishing real from unreal. I am sure that, between your medication and talking to mental health professionals, you are able to a good job of it 88% of the time. Even though the real and the unreal equally have no inherent existence!

Likewise, for a trans person, distinguishing real gender identity from unreal identity is the central issue. Even though neither truly exists, it is still possible to distinguish them. And the medical consensus is that the person's experienced gender identity is more "real" than whatever the doctor pronounced at birth based on examining the genitals. As I said before, there is good physiological data to support this.

The particular suffering of the transgender person arises from the discrepancy between the insistence of ignorant bystanders with the power to inflict misery and the known self-identity of the trans person. It arises not from experiencing an identity - we all do this, even the good folks on this site - but from having the wrong identity imposed from outside.

Kathy
Last edited by KathyLauren on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm It is easy to say that the self doesn't exist, that it is an illusion of samsara and should be easy to transcend. And that, since gender is a phenomenon of self-identity, that it, too, should be easy to overcome.

The thing is that everything in samsara is an illusion. Self is the hardest illusion to overcome, because literally everything else in samsara reinforces the illusion of self. It is easier to realize that a table or a system of government or the universe does not exist than that the self does not exist. We can know intellectually that it is so but I would venture to say that none of us has overcome the illusion of self.

So telling trans people that they should set aside notions of self identity, while the speaker himself routinely jumps into his non-existent car and drives on nonexistent highways to a nonexistent place of work is a bit hypocritical. If the speaker can treat all those illusions as though they exist, a little compassion would be in order for someone who thinks that they have a gendered self.

I don't have a good understanding of schizophrenia. I am sorry to hear that you experience it, and I am glad that it is mostly under control. What I do understand of it is that the person has difficulty distinguishing real from unreal. I am sure that, between your medication and talking to mental health professionals, you are able to a good job of it 88% of the time. Even though the real and the unreal equally have no inherent existence!

Likewise, for a trans person, distinguishing real gender identity from unreal identity is the central issue. Even though neither truly exists, it is still possible to distinguish them. And the medical consensus is that the person's experienced gender identity is more "real" than whatever the doctor pronounced at birth based on examining the genitals. As I said before, there is good physiological data to support this.

The particular suffering of the transgender person arises from the discrepancy between the insistence of ignorant bystanders with the power to inflict misery and the known self-identity of the trans person. It arises not from experiencing an identity - we all do this, even the good folks on this site - but from having the wrong identity imposed from outside.

Kathy
:goodpost:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm It is easy to say that the self doesn't exist, ...

Kathy
I don't think the Buddha ever said that. He gave examples of not self - different from no self - and he refused to answer when asked point blank about the self. Differing opinions about this abound but my handle here is not NoMe for a reason.

Metta

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

NotMe wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:04 pm
KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm It is easy to say that the self doesn't exist, ...

Kathy
I don't think the Buddha ever said that. He gave examples of not self - different from no self - and he refused to answer when asked point blank about the self. Differing opinions about this abound but my handle here is not NoMe for a reason.

Metta

I will admit to not fully grasping or expressing the subtlety of the distinction. I am not sure the distinction makes a big difference to this discussion.

Kathy
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Kathy

Metta

I will admit to not fully grasping or expressing the subtlety of the distinction. I am not sure the distinction makes a big difference to this discussion.

Kathy
We can agree to disagree.

Metta

thepea

Post by thepea »

KathyLauren wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Kathy

Metta

Kathy
The distinction is the basis for ones suffering.
There is apparent reality and ultimate reality.
This apparent reality we are self and we are messed up with attachments, Buddha teaches to look within and experience this ultimate reality for yourself.
Through this is the insight practice.
Mind creates form and our reaction to this form causes the base for suffering and perpetuates the cycle.
Through wisdom of seeing this for oneself the mind comes out of clinging to thoughts causing harm.

It’s a mental issue.