What is liberating insight?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
PeterC86

Re: What is liberating insight?

Post by PeterC86 »

thepea wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:51 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:42 pm
thepea wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:25 pm
Grip: take and keep a firm hold of; grasp tightly.
Grasp: seize and hold firmly.

Can you expand. The two seem synonymous.
It might be a connotation thingy, but I can also be wrong. I was under the impression that grip refers more to a physical experience, grip a thing, or getting gripped by an emotion or feeling, whereas grasping is more a mental process. But I am not a native English speaker, so I will leave this open.

Anyway, what you said is liberating insight!
Perhaps it has to do with resultant kamma.
You mention drumsticks.
You grip/grasp the drumsticks and play your drums and you are joyful but under stress. Then you easily release the drumsticks when you are done using them. You don’t have to grip them all day. Resultant kamma is very light.
Are you now trying to grip/grasp kamma?
thepea

Post by thepea »

PeterC86 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm
It might be a connotation thingy, but I can also be wrong. I was under the impression that grip refers more to a physical experience, grip a thing, or getting gripped by an emotion or feeling, whereas grasping is more a mental process. But I am not a native English speaker, so I will leave this open.

You mention drumsticks.
You grip/grasp the drumsticks and play your drums and you are joyful but under stress. Then you easily release the drumsticks when you are done using them. You don’t have to grip them all day. Resultant kamma is very light.
Are you now trying to grip/grasp kamma?
:clap: :clap:
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

thepea wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:25 pm
Grip: take and keep a firm hold of; grasp tightly.
Grasp: seize and hold firmly.

Can you expand. The two seem synonymous.

You mention drumsticks.
You are not a drummer, I can tell. Google Bill Bachman to get it straight from the horses’ mouth.

You cradle to drumsticks. No stress completely relaxed, when you hold the stick slightly past straight up it stays in your hand without grasping. Now you start your hand down, gravity doing the work you’re letting the stick fall, we should all understand falling ha ha ha but anyway, without your hands interference, you freely let the stick strike to drum, and you cradle it back up for a full stroke. The technical term is free stroke. Very liberating. I can go on but I have to charge you my professional rate of 3000 good Carmas a nanosecond. Too expensive for most humans.

Metta

:anjali;

Edit to add: I blew out my colon excuse me.

:anjali:

Edit to edit: I think my rates are reasonable. Others think I have no reason, maybe even for being, I mean how can you put a price tag on complete liberation?
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

That is the Rupa version. Popular here on earth.

Now the Arupa version. What I learned in my drumming skills, is that you have to open a conduit up to the next plane of existence which is the musician heaven. Empty the ego out of that pipe line, and just go with the flow.

Try it and you’ll see that people come up to you and after a performance as they how did you do that and you say I didn’t you must be hallucinating. No, not me I didn’t do it. Hand it is true. Hopefully beneficial.

Metta

Edit to add: and don’t think this has anything at all to do with seeing the domin that I mentioned in my first coast. You haven’t paid my professional fee for that either so you can’t sync it. I have a good lawyer. Don’t try it. Why did the hippie cross the road, someone told him not to. Oh you guys won’t get that. <grin>

Edit to edit to end: It all starts with the free stroke. Culminates after years of practice in heavenly bliss. I said bliss Siri oh she corrected herself. I am physically challenged and use Siri you guys I am sorry. Little deva here in the dumbfone here.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

form wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 am 4NT or three marks of existence or something else or something that cannot be expressed in words?
I think both can be - but they manifest in your own sensation/words for yourself. Not necessarily exact as sutta.

Another is the nature of liberating insight - it must be accompanied with spontaneously arising conviction.
form

Post by form »

NotMe wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:49 pm That is the Rupa version. Popular here on earth.

Now the Arupa version. What I learned in my drumming skills, is that you have to open a conduit up to the next plane of existence which is the musician heaven. Empty the ego out of that pipe line, and just go with the flow.

Try it and you’ll see that people come up to you and after a performance as they how did you do that and you say I didn’t you must be hallucinating. No, not me I didn’t do it. Hand it is true. Hopefully beneficial.

Metta

Edit to add: and don’t think this has anything at all to do with seeing the domin that I mentioned in my first coast. You haven’t paid my professional fee for that either so you can’t sync it. I have a good lawyer. Don’t try it. Why did the hippie cross the road, someone told him not to. Oh you guys won’t get that. <grin>

Edit to edit to end: It all starts with the free stroke. Culminates after years of practice in heavenly bliss. I said bliss Siri oh she corrected herself. I am physically challenged and use Siri you guys I am sorry. Little deva here in the dumbfone here.
Amazing. Tapping on specific vibrations.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

form wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 am Amazing. Tapping on specific vibrations.
Drums yes. Buddhism is about vibrating the 'heart'.

Metta

edit to add: and is even more amazing.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

form wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 am 4NT or three marks of existence or something else or something that cannot be expressed in words?
I would go with something that cannot be expressed in words.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

off topic warning

Ok. Quick pro drum tip: Spot the alphas on the dance floor. Watch the dancers feet. Get the feet, then keep them at least an inch off the floor. If you are dancing while you play, set the example. not easy but doable? Think of your life all of it as a dance. Brighten the Dhamma by your kamma.

Last pro drum tip, the actual last page in the book: develop a perfectly seamless drum roll that has no beginning no end at a middle-mf-/mezzo-forte non-fluctuating dynamic level. Oh there are places one can go beyond --- all optional training.

Metta

pegembara

Post by pegembara »

How about this? The liberation from "death" for starters.

Identification with the khandas is associated with death. When the body dies, the "self" dies with it.
You carry it, it's yours.
A burden indeed
are the five aggregates,
and the carrier of the burden
is the person
Taking up the burden in the world
is stressful.
Casting off the burden
is bliss.
Having cast off the heavy burden
and not taking on another,
pulling up craving,
along with its root,
one is free from hunger,
totally unbound.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

pegembara wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:15 am When the body dies, the "self" dies with it.
Do you not believe in heaven
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

pegembara wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:15 am How about this? The liberation from "death" for starters.

Identification with the khandas is associated with death. When the body dies, the "self" dies with it.
You carry it, it's yours.
A burden indeed
are the five aggregates,
and the carrier of the burden
is the person
Taking up the burden in the world
is stressful.
Casting off the burden
is bliss.
Having cast off the heavy burden
and not taking on another,
pulling up craving,
along with its root,
one is free from hunger,
totally unbound.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
How about that?

Beautiful in the beginning.
Beautiful in the middle.
Beautiful in the end.

Metta

pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:25 am
pegembara wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:15 am When the body dies, the "self" dies with it.
Do you not believe in heaven
When the mind dies, the "self" dies with it.

Do you believe in the mind/consciousness?
Last edited by pegembara on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

pegembara wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:17 am When the mind dies, the "self" dies with it.
You do not believe in heaven
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 am
pegembara wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:17 am When the mind dies, the "self" dies with it.
You do not believe in heaven
Heaven is a place in consciousness, is it not?
“There was a hermit monk living in a cave in the mountains of Japan.
He was a talented artist, and over time he painted a picture of a tiger on the wall of the cave. He was extremely meticulous in his work, and it took him several years to finish. When it was finally done, the tiger was so realistic that when he looked at it he became frightened.”

Excerpt From: Goldstein, Joseph. “Mindfulness.”
For him, all that is sensed, being unrelished, will grow cold right here. This is termed the nibbāna property with no fuel remaining.
Last edited by pegembara on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.