How to deal with laziness?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pegembara

Re: How to deal with laziness?

Post by pegembara »

Paradoxically, laziness is due to a lack of compassion for your "future self". This applies to all aspects of life- not just the spiritual aspect.
It is an orientation towards the "future" long term happiness.
"Then there is the case where a monk, having gone for alms in a village or town, does get as much coarse or refined food as he needs to fill himself up. The thought occurs to him: 'I, having gone for alms in a village or town, have gotten as much coarse or refined food as I need to fill myself up. This body of mine is light & suitable for work. Why don't I make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?'[1] So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the sixth grounds for the arousal of energy.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Gami47 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:41 pm Thanks for the responses!! :anjali:
Embrace it. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:08 pm
Wrong again spiny, he should grasp it, or is it grab, shoot, here I am grappling with myself as to how to correct this obvious misinterpretation of the Pali in the canon, or is it cannon?

:tongue:

Metta

:anjali:

Edit to add: In Oklahoma, laziness is combated by tossing the remote for the TV so the Mrs. can get up off the couch, put down the bon-bons and do something productive, like changing the channel.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

NotMe wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:08 pm
Wrong again spiny, he should grasp it, or is it grab, shoot, here I am grappling with myself as to how to correct this obvious misinterpretation of the Pali in the canon, or is it cannon?

:tongue:

Metta

:anjali:

Edit to add: In Oklahoma, laziness is combated by tossing the remote for the TV so the Mrs. can get up off the couch, put down the bon-bons and do something productive, like changing the channel.
:rofl:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded