Greetings and Hello

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
eldritchmoon1988

Greetings and Hello

Post by eldritchmoon1988 »

Hi, I live in New York City. I am 34 years old, married, with 6 children. I took refuge in "The Three Jewels" on Friday, June 10, 2022, in a Sri Lankan Buddhist Temple/Monastery in Queens, NYC with a monk there.

I have been drawn to Buddhism since I was a teenager, but never went through with anything serious till now. I grew up in a violent, Protestent-Fundamentalist, Enclosed Cult. When I got out as a teenager, I rode the religious Merry-Go-Round for years. I bounced around between Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox Christianity, Islam, European Paganism, etc, but I never found satisfaction entirely, either because I couldn't really make myself come to believe in them properly (a constant lack of Faith), or, I didn't find a welcoming and close community. The closest community I did find was in Eastern Orthodoxy, but, in the end, I couldn't align myself with Christianity.

I am glad I took the step of becoming a Buddhist. I feel it does align with what I believe, and how I feel, but I am daunted by being new, and not knowing where to find that sense of community I so desire. I think the need for community is so innate possibly because the enclosed cult I was raised in. I am kind of worried I will never find it, as I am not Asian (was not raised in their communities), and I don't even know where to start. Any help or advice would be appreciated to me, a total noob. Thanks.
Last edited by eldritchmoon1988 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Greetings and Hello

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Thanks for sharing that interesting background information.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Greetings from Oklahoma. You sound like a seeker!

There are many ‘sects’ within the Theravaden communities. I explored and found Wat Metta in California as my mainstay with Ven. Thanissaro Bikkhu at the helm.

Find a teacher that you like, and read, listen (Dhamma talks etc) and practice, practice, practice.

Metta

:anjali:
eldritchmoon1988

Post by eldritchmoon1988 »

What do you mean there are different sects within Theravada, etc. Could you explain further please?
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

eldritchmoon1988 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 am What do you mean there are different sects within Theravada, etc. Could you explain further please?
I follow what is termed the “Thai Forest Tradition”. This ‘sect’ was spear headed by Ajaan Mun and Ajaan Sao in the late 1800/early1900’s.

And in Thailand alone there are other Buddhists that practice following other teachers.

Within a country and from country to country, Theravada beliefs are presented with a variety of differing options.

And as you explore the offerings on DhammaWheel, you just may find that all of us Theravadan‘s do not agree amongst ourselves what is the proper way to practice Buddhism. I am laughing right now at the understatement made here.

Come and see for yourself!

Metta

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

eldritchmoon1988 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 am What do you mean there are different sects within Theravada, etc. Could you explain further please?
There are a lot of Theravada modern schools:

(1) Thai forest lineage by Ajahn Mun
(2) Suttavada by Ajahn Vimalaramsi
(3) EBT by Bhante Sujato

etc....

In the beginning, there is only one pure lineage preserved via Acariyaparampara tradition since the First Council (presided by Arahant Mahakassapa Thera), Second Council (presided by Arahant Sabbakami Thera), Third Council (presided by Arahant Moggaliputta Tissa Thera), then to Fourth Council (writing down all the entire Pāli Tipitaka canon on leaves) at Sri Lanka. This tradition, is what we called here as "Classical Theravada".
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ustinmach

Post by ustinmach »

What do you mean different sects exist within Theravada? Could you expand your explanation?octordle
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Welcome, eldritchmoon !