Kammic consequences of eating eggs?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dharmacorps

Re: Kammic consequences of eating eggs?

Post by dharmacorps »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:58 pm Killing animals doesn't generate a huge amount of negative karma.
What is the basis for this idea? It definitely isn't the pali canon or Buddhism in general.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 pmWhat is the basis for this idea? It definitely isn't the pali canon or Buddhism in general.
What Sutta are you referring to? You're a Buddhist expert?
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:25 pm
What Sutta are you referring to? You're a Buddhist expert?
Well, thankfully even a novice can see clearly the Buddha taught killing is unskillful. If you need a primer, MN 135 SN 1.71.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

in my opinion it is bad kamma
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

a vegan diet is the only ethical diet :stirthepot:
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

bpallister wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:42 am a vegan diet is the only ethical diet :stirthepot:
What is wrong with vegetarians? Nonfertile eggs, hens roam free around the farm, goats are milked, billies put out to pasture - all fed and vetted for health like little kings and queens. What is unethical with this scenario?

If you want the next step up from vegan - raw. Food is never heated past 105 f. - keeps all the ‘life’ possible in the food while still cooked for ease of digestion.

These all work for me. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

And when my kids bring bbq - I eat!

Metta

:anjali:
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

If that is all ya got LOL.

And that relates to my scenario how?

Scroll down to my post in this thread. People eating processed veggies by big corporations were poisoned.

viewtopic.php?t=8112

Here is the news clip:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/tech/dai ... index.html

Blame the corporations. I worked as a dairy herdsman for a few years and I would never buy milk from a store. You don’t wanna know what the heck that crap has, organic or not.

Now if you would like to comment about my scenario please comment because I want to know what’s wrong with it!

Metta

Edit to add: Family farm, not factory.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

NotMe wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:57 am
bpallister wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:42 am a vegan diet is the only ethical diet :stirthepot:
What is wrong with vegetarians? Nonfertile eggs, hens roam free around the farm, goats are milked, billies put out to pasture - all fed and vetted for health like little kings and queens. What is unethical with this scenario?
Sounds OK to me. The problems start if you work at some other trade, or don't own a farm, so need to buy the milk and the eggs. The person the running such an outfit would not be able to make a profit, because very soon the costs of pasture and food for the roosters would outstrip the income from the milk and eggs. So the otherwise non-productive males have to earn money, or at the least get slaughtered.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

NotMe wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:26 am
Blame the corporations. I worked as a dairy herdsman for a few years and I would never buy milk from a store. You don’t wanna know what the heck that crap has, organic or not.
I'm curious, what kind of additives would be in supermarket milk?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 am
I also worked as a dairy herdsman.

Antibiotics, mastitis pus and faeces, as I remember.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:34 am

Yuk!
Buddha save me from new-agers!
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:34 am

Each milking stall has four vacuum suckers to collect the milk. Once attached to udder, you move to the next stall to repeat the process and the previous cow kicks the vacuum sucker off and manure is entering the milk line to the tank.

The farmer decides how often,and how much “ medicine” like antibiotics to use. Not a veteranian.

Mastitis is plain disgusting. Curds and clots of cheese like yuck block the teat - you can clear some by hand milking, but I need to go throw up, give me a sec….

Metta

Edit to add: OK I’m back. The smell of mastitis is putrid. I can still smell it.
normanwolf

Post by normanwolf »

What is right and what is wrong? As for eating eggs, we can consider. Before, the monks in the temple all walked, now they ride scooters? In the past he ate vegetables, mushrooms.. now eat cake, durian... In the past, he communicated by mail. Present using the phone.... What is the difference between past and present?
Elastic man