How do you determine, to which part of the sentence the tatiyā vibhatti belongs?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
dadati

How do you determine, to which part of the sentence the tatiyā vibhatti belongs?

Post by dadati »

When you say
e.g. naro puttena yācakāya bhattaṃ dadāti

What does it mean?
Either
"The man gives rice to the beggar and to the sons." - so the beggar is with the sons
or
"The man and the sons give rice to the beggar." or more likely "The man with the sons gives rice to the beggar. " - so the man is with the sons
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: How do you determine, to which part of the sentence the tatiyā vibhatti belongs?

Post by Sam Vara »

As it stands, it reads "son" rather than "sons", as puttena is singular; "sons" would be puttehi.

It means the latter of the two phrases. Although it really needs a saha or saddhim in there, or otherwise it reads more as if the man is giving rice through, or by means of, his son.
dadati

Re: How do you determine, to which part of the sentence the tatiyā vibhatti belongs?

Post by dadati »

Thanks. Oh yes, it is my mistake it is ekavacana. I haven't learned to use the saha and saddhim yet, but the main point for me now that it belongs to the paṭhamā of the sentence. Thanks a lot.