This is important

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

This is important

Post by form »

1. Life in any world is unstable, it is swept away: this is the first summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees, accomplished and fully enlightened. Knowing and seeing and hearing this, I went forth from the home life into homelessness.

2. Life in any world has no shelter and no protector: this is the second summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees.

3. Life in any world has nothing of its own; one has to leave all and pass on: this is the third summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees ...

4. Life in any world is incomplete, insatiate, the slave of of craving: this is the fourth summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees.

(from Majjhima Nikaya 82)
Joe.c

Re: This is important

Post by Joe.c »

The above statements are fine.

Only problem is you need the solution. Not just contemplate the problem. If one only contemplate the problem, then life is indeed becoming full of suffering without any solution.

However, With solution know. Then you will find happiness here and now. Hence life will be happy with the take up of the practice that is N8FP. This N8FP is the path to end of dukkha.

So know the problem and know the solution. Life become balance in imbalance world.
Last edited by Joe.c on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

form wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 am 1. Life in any world is unstable, it is swept away: this is the first summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees, accomplished and fully enlightened. Knowing and seeing and hearing this, I went forth from the home life into homelessness.

2. Life in any world has no shelter and no protector: this is the second summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees.

3. Life in any world has nothing of its own; one has to leave all and pass on: this is the third summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees ...

4. Life in any world is incomplete, insatiate, the slave of of craving: this is the fourth summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees.

There are a lot of important lists in Buddhism.

David, DNS, captured them all. Have you read it?

https://www.thedhamma.com/buddhaslists.pdf

Metta

:anjali:
form

Post by form »

Joe.c wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:23 am The above statements are fine.

Only problem is you need the solution. Not just contemplate the problem. If one only contemplate the problem, then life is indeed becoming full of suffering without any solution.

However, With solution know. Then you will find happiness here and now. Hence life will be happy with the take up of the practice that is N8FP. This N8FP is the path to end of dukkha.

So know the problem and know the solution. Life become balance in imbalance world.
Most people did not even realise the problem is serious enough to warrant proper actions.
form

Post by form »

NotMe wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 am
form wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 am 1. Life in any world is unstable, it is swept away: this is the first summary of the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One who knows and sees, accomplished and fully enlightened. Knowing and seeing and hearing this, I went forth from the home life into homelessness.

There are a lot of important lists in Buddhism.

David, DNS, captured them all. Have you read it?

https://www.thedhamma.com/buddhaslists.pdf

Metta

I using Bhikkhu Bodhi words of the Buddha. He selected the important texts in a proper structured way.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Nibbana is the only solution
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

form wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:44 am I using Bhikkhu Bodhi words of the Buddha. He selected the important texts in a proper structured way.
You are very wise to study with one teacher. Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi is among the best.

Metta

pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Joe.c wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:23 am The above statements are fine.

The problem is life itself. The solution is to recognize that there is no point in finding a solution as there is none.
The Venerable Mogharaja:

"Twice have I asked Sakka [1] but the Seeing One has not answered me. I have heard a divine sage replies when asked a third time. I do not know the view of the greatly famous Gotama concerning this world, the next world and the Brahma-world with its deities. To him of supreme vision I have come with a question: how should one regard the world so that one is not seen by the King of Death?"

The Lord:

"Look upon the world as empty,[2] Mogharaja, ever mindful; uprooting the view of self you may thus be one who overcomes death. So regarding the world one is not seen by the King of Death."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .irel.html
"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?
"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"

That is what the Blessed One said. The bhikkhus were glad, and they approved his words.

Now during his utterance, the hearts of those thousand bhikkhus were liberated from taints through clinging no more.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

pegembara wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:32 am The problem is life itself. The solution is to recognize that there is no point in finding a solution as there is none.
What? No solution? Wth... :shrug:

I guess your life is miserable?

But there is a path to end dukkha, path to happiness as Buddha taught though, that is N8FP. See DN 9.

Please study again. Otherwise what a waste of life that you got right now.

These sutta may provide encouragement:
MN130 wrote: That is what the Buddha said. Then the Holy One, the Teacher, went on to say:

“Those people who are negligent,
when warned by the gods’ messengers:
a long time they sorrow,
when they go to that wretched place.

But those good and peaceful people,
when warned by the gods’ messengers,
never neglect
the teaching of the noble ones.

Seeing the danger in grasping,
the origin of birth and death,
they’re freed by not grasping,
with the ending of birth and death.

Happy, they’ve come to a safe place,
extinguished in this very life.
They’ve gone beyond all threats and perils,
and risen above all suffering.
MN 12 wrote: ...
When I’ve comprehended the mind of a certain person, I understand: ‘This person … will be reborn in a good place, a heavenly realm.’ Then some time later I see that they have indeed been reborn in a heavenly realm, where they experience exclusively pleasant feelings. Suppose there was a stilt longhouse with a peaked roof, plastered inside and out, draft-free, with latches fastened and windows shuttered. And it had a couch spread with woolen covers—shag-piled, pure white, or embroidered with flowers—and spread with a fine deer hide, with a canopy above and red pillows at both ends. Then along comes a person struggling in the oppressive heat, weary, thirsty, and parched. And they have set out on a path that meets with that same stilt longhouse. If a person with good eyesight saw them, they’d say: ‘This person is proceeding in such a way and has entered such a path that they will arrive at that very stilt longhouse.’ Then some time later they see them sitting or lying in that stilt longhouse, where they experience exclusively pleasant feelings. …

When I’ve comprehended the mind of a certain person, I understand: ‘This person … will be reborn in a good place, a heavenly realm.’ Then some time later I see that they have indeed been reborn in a heavenly realm, where they experience exclusively pleasant feelings. Suppose there was a stilt longhouse with a peaked roof, plastered inside and out, draft-free, with latches fastened and windows shuttered. And it had a couch spread with woolen covers—shag-piled, pure white, or embroidered with flowers—and spread with a fine deer hide, with a canopy above and red pillows at both ends. Then along comes a person struggling in the oppressive heat, weary, thirsty, and parched. And they have set out on a path that meets with that same stilt longhouse. If a person with good eyesight saw them, they’d say: ‘This person is proceeding in such a way and has entered such a path that they will arrive at that very stilt longhouse.’ Then some time later they see them sitting or lying in that stilt longhouse, where they experience exclusively pleasant feelings. …

When I’ve comprehended the mind of a certain person, I understand: ‘This person is practicing in such a way and has entered such a path that they will realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements.’ Then some time later I see that they have indeed realized the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements, experiencing exclusively pleasant feelings.

Suppose there was a lotus pond with clear, sweet, cool water, clean, with smooth banks, delightful. And nearby was a dark forest grove. Then along comes a person struggling in the oppressive heat, weary, thirsty, and parched. And they have set out on a path that meets with that same lotus pond. If a person with good eyesight saw them, they’d say: ‘This person is proceeding in such a way and has entered such a path that they will arrive at that very lotus pond.’ Then some time later they would see that person after they had plunged into that lotus pond, bathed and drunk. When all their stress, weariness, and heat exhaustion had faded away, they emerged and sat or lay down in that woodland thicket, where they experienced exclusively pleasant feelings.

In the same way, when I’ve comprehended the mind of a person, I understand: ‘This person is practicing in such a way and has entered such a path that they will realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements.’ Then some time later I see that they have indeed realized the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements, experiencing exclusively pleasant feelings.

These are the five destinations.
Last edited by Joe.c on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Joe.c wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:20 am
pegembara wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:32 am The problem is life itself. The solution is to recognize that there is no point in finding a solution as there is none.
What? No solution? Wth... :shrug:

I guess your life is miserable?

But there is a path to end dukkha, path to happiness as Buddha taught though, that is N8FP. See DN 9.

Please study again. Otherwise what a waste of life that you got right now.
So what is the solution to death? The N8FP I hear you say. But where does this all lead to? "Happiness" I hear you say.
What is this "happiness" then?

Don't waste your life you say...
Live life to the fullest? Trying to find the best room on the Titanic and party on? Or finding out that you and the Titanic were not real ie. transcendence?

And no. I am far from being miserable. :D
Verse 277: "All conditioned phenomena are impermanent"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity.

Verse 278: "All conditioned phenomena are dukkha"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity.

Verse 279: "All phenomena (dhammas) are without Self"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity.
“Transcendence of self—living at the level of Being—is assumed to be most possible for the person with a strong and free identity, i.e., for the self-actualizing person.”
Transcendence is to accept the natural world, is to let it be itself in the Taoistic fashion, is the transcendence of the lower needs of the self—that is, of one’s selfish within-the-skin demands, of one’s egocentric judgments upon extrapsychic things as being dangerous or not dangerous, edible or not edible, useful or not useful, etc. This is the ultimate meaning of the phrase ‘to perceive the world objectively.’ This is one necessary aspect of B-cognition. B-cognition implies a transcendence of one’s ego, lower needs, selfishness, etc.”
https://www.sloww.co/transcendence-maslow/
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Joe.c

Post by Joe.c »

pegembara wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:54 am ...
Don't try to comprehend the final knowledge. Majority (almost all) people overshoot those and lack of understanding before walk the path. Alas, some people even abandon the path before even entering it. Lol.

People try to understand anatta, anicca,and dukkha. But when ask have you seen nobles?

They said no need. Then how can a right view arise without associate noble and seen nobles? Lol.

Since you think you have understand. Then get rid of dukkhas and asava(s) that cause the avijja. Then turn avijja to vijja. From there know all the worlds and the drawbacks such as brahma worlds, kama loka, hell, ghost, human and animal worlds.

Note: this knowledge needs to be personally know and seen and comprehend. Can't be only by reading book or someone tell you.

Without this understanding, one will never be completely happy. 😁

Then, maybe you will know or maybe not. 😁
form

Post by form »

This four summaries is the reference where Bhikkhu Bodhi got the deepest meaning of Dukka from.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Joe.c wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:06 am
People try to understand anatta, anicca,and dukkha. But when ask have you seen nobles?

They said no need. Then how can a right view arise without associate noble and seen nobles?
Have you seen the nobles ? Anyone that you known ? :popcorn:
No bashing No gossiping
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

:goodpost:
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Joe.c wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:06 am
pegembara wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:54 am ...
Don't try to comprehend the final knowledge. Majority (almost all) people overshoot those and lack of understanding before walk the path. Alas, some people even abandon the path before even entering it. Lol.

They said no need. Then how can a right view arise without associate noble and seen nobles? Lol.

Since you think you have understand. Then get rid of dukkhas and asava(s) that cause the avijja. Then turn avijja to vijja. From there know all the worlds and the drawbacks such as brahma worlds, kama loka, hell, ghost, human and animal worlds.

Note: this knowledge needs to be personally know and seen and comprehend. Can't be only by reading book or someone tell you.

Without this understanding, one will never be completely happy. 😁

Then, maybe you will know or maybe not. 😁
Dear Joe,

The Buddha had it “made” and still felt miserable because he fully understood dukkha. That’s the very first step.

This knowledge has to be seen and comprehended. Something felt deeply in your bones. Without this understanding you will never be able to break free.

The solution is transcendence but first you have to really wallow in the mud.
"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions,[1] heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.