How to overcome dukkha. A teaching of mine.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Stephen010mt

How to overcome dukkha. A teaching of mine.

Post by Stephen010mt »

First, the pain and the suffering and the dukkha of the crisis or mini-crisis needs to spur you (for this, it may need to particularly painful, but do not make it so on purpose!!!) to attain sukha.

Then this can lead to an awakening of the heart and then the mind.

Then this leads to heedfulness and not heedlessness, consisting of being heedful or the present moment, which leads to a rather brief moment of getting to the truth of the current situation.

This can lead to more mental pain, but only temporarily, with an urge to alleviate the suffering.

Coupled with this can be the thought that one needs to be happy and not to suffer -- for one's own sake and for the sake of not affecting other's feelings and not to affect them badly, seeing that in others. Also out of concern for one's own well being and happiness.

Then, one needs to know how to proceed:

Once you know the truth of the current situation, you need to accept the suffering and accept the current situation. This is based on knowledge of the Four Noble Truths and that particular doctrinal framework. Then you need to know how desire causes suffering and how the ending of desire can and does lead to the end of suffering (although nothing can be done about external problems such as abuse, etc., which one simply needs to escape from if possible or just ignore and not be affected if you can do it).

Then, one needs to let go. This is done in a careful manner. Cannot say more about that until I learn something about a specific cetasika from the Abhidhamma.

Then, one needs to put forth effort and be spurred.

Then one needs to continue doing the same as above over and over and over again until it becomes a habit.

If one has had bliss in the past, one needs to recollect positive memories of those blissed out moments and not regret it all that one has strayed away from the present moment. ONLY WHEN RECOVERING FROM A CRISIS ALREADY AND NOT DURING THE CRISIS AND NOT ONCE ONE HAS ACHIEVED STRONG BLISS ALREADY AFTER WHICH THERE IS NO NEED AND ONE NEEDS TO BE FIRMLY IN THE PRESENT MOMENT, EXCEPT DURING PARTICULAR 30-MINUTE SESSIONS OF POSITIVE MEMORIES RECOLLECTION (5 DAYS OUT OF 7). OTHERWISE ONE SHOULD BE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT, EXCEPT ONE CAN PREDICT OR PLAN FOR THE FUTURE, BUT NOT DWELL ON FUTURE EVENTS, NOT WORRY, AND NOT DREAM ABOUT THE FUTURE OR OTHERWISE THINK ABOUT OR GET LOST INTO THE FUTURE. REGRET AND REMORSE ABOUT THE PAST ARE NORMAL AND PERFECTLY TO BE EXPECTED BUT THEY ARE COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE. I do not know regret and remorse from personal experience. I cannot help you with that.

Then other things which can help are:

1. Compassion
2. Kindness
3. Generosity (which can lead to much higher self-esteem and self-worth along with feeling good about yourself)
4. Helping and helpfulness, especially people, animals and other beings in desperate need of help
5. Being particularly respectful of those who deserve it -- towards not bad people and above not bad, as long as they are decent and profound enough as well
6. Energy
7. Concentration
8. Mindfulness
9. Something from Abhidhamma
10. Hiri-Ottappa
11. Another thing from Abhidharma - The Sarvastivada Abhidharma
12. Another quality mentioned in Socratism
13. Something from Nietzsche
14. Something from Bertrand Russel's books
15. Something from Plato -- original insight of his
16. Something from Lao Tzu, one of whose top specializations was overcoming of dukkha (mild dukkha, for such good reasons you have no idea -- old age, bad place with bad people and some abuse) and total happiness
17. Something from Sartre and Kierkegaard
18. Something from Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud... just 5 things from both together. Although others destroyed their writings almost entirely. They had to help people alleviate their sufferings, but their teachings are not recorded almost at all for modern Planet Earth.
19. Something from David Hume
20. Something from another philosopher whom David Hume knew and was friends with.
21. Nothing else can help you overcome suffering or dukkha. One needs to escape from not good enough places, if one can.

Bye bye.
Last edited by Stephen010mt on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen010mt

Re: How to overcome dukkha. A teaching of mine.

Post by Stephen010mt »

Virtue, goodness and generosity only lead to happiness and sukha in future lives. Virtue and goodness are still the most important things after harmlessness, this after non-dukkha, and this after non-mental disabilty, such as worthlessness, insanity, craziness, madness, idiocy and being oligophrenic.

Bye bye.

Do not go into psychology and psychiatry. I know nothing of Western Psychology and Psychiatry except one thing. And it is wrong. I just know. This is my own psychology. Based on and inspired by Buddhism.

Bye bye.
Last edited by Stephen010mt on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen010mt

Post by Stephen010mt »

Edit: I know his name is spelt as Bertrand Russell and not with just one l.
rekoW

Post by rekoW »

Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pmSocratism
a greek Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pmNietzsche
a german Buddha
Bertrand Russell
a welsh Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pm Plato
a greek buddha follower of another greek Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pm Lao Tzu
a chinese Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pm Sartre
a french Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pmKierkegaard
a denmarkian Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pmCarl Jung
a switz Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pmSigmund Freud
a jewish Buddha
Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 pm David Hume
a scorttish Buddha

many emanations of Buddha
Stephen010mt

Post by Stephen010mt »

Some fixings from the original post: (note that I myself wrote all of that!):

Written on 2022-07-19.

First, the pain and the suffering and the dukkha of the crisis or mini-crisis needs to spur you (for this, it may need to be particularly painful, but do not make it so on purpose!!!) to attain sukha.

Then this can lead to an awakening of the heart and then the mind.

Then this leads to heedfulness and not heedlessness, consisting of being heedful of the present moment, which leads to a rather brief moment of getting to the truth of the current situation.

This can lead to more mental pain, but only temporarily, with an urge to alleviate the suffering.

Coupled with this can be the thought that one needs to be happy and not to suffer — for one's own sake and for the sake of not affecting other's feelings and not to affect them badly, seeing that in others. Also out of concern for one's own well being and happiness.

Then, one needs to know how to proceed:

Once you know the truth of the current situation, you need to accept the suffering and accept the current situation. This is based on knowledge of the Four Noble Truths and that particular doctrinal framework. Then you need to know how desire causes suffering and how the ending of desire can and does lead to the end of suffering (although nothing can be done about external problems such as abuse, etc., which one simply needs to escape from if possible or just ignore and not be affected if you can do it).

Then, one needs to let go. This is done in a careful manner. Cannot say more about that until I learn something about a specific cetasika from the Abhidhamma.

Then, one needs to put forth effort and be spurred.

Then one needs to continue doing the same as above over and over and over again until it becomes a habit.

If one has had bliss in the past, one needs to recollect positive memories of those blissed out moments and not regret it at all that one has strayed away from the present moment. ONLY WHEN RECOVERING FROM A CRISIS ALREADY AND NOT DURING THE CRISIS AND NOT ONCE ONE HAS ACHIEVED STRONG BLISS ALREADY AFTER WHICH THERE IS NO NEED AND ONE NEEDS TO BE FIRMLY IN THE PRESENT MOMENT, EXCEPT DURING PARTICULAR 30-MINUTE SESSIONS OF POSITIVE MEMORIES RECOLLECTION (5 DAYS OUT OF 7). OTHERWISE ONE SHOULD BE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT, EXCEPT ONE CAN PREDICT OR PLAN FOR THE FUTURE, BUT NOT DWELL ON FUTURE EVENTS, NOT WORRY, AND NOT DREAM ABOUT THE FUTURE OR OTHERWISE THINK ABOUT OR GET LOST INTO THE FUTURE. REGRET AND REMORSE ABOUT THE PAST ARE NORMAL AND PERFECTLY TO BE EXPECTED BUT THEY ARE COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE. My knowledge stops here due to not knowing regret and remorse from personal experience.

Then other things which can help are:

1. Compassion
2. Kindness
3. Generosity (which can lead to much higher self-esteem and self-worth along with feeling good about yourself)
4. Helping and helpfulness, especially people, animals and other beings in desperate need of help
5. Being particularly respectful of those who deserve it — towards not bad people and above not bad, as long as they are decent and profound enough as well
6. Energy
7. Concentration
8. Mindfulness
9. Something from Abhidhamma
10. Hiri-Ottappa
11. Another thing from Abhidharma - The Sarvastivada Abhidharma
12. Another quality mentioned in Socratism
13. Something from Nietzsche
14. Something from Bertrand Russell's books
15. Something from Plato — original insight of his
16. Something from Lao Tzu, one of whose top specializations was overcoming of dukkha (mild dukkha, for such good reasons you have no idea — old age, bad place with bad people and some abuse) and total happiness
17. Something from Sartre and Kierkegaard
18. Something from Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud... just 5 things from both together. But better not study their texts and other things like these (it wasn't just texts this is why...). It will make you think badly about yourself and you will start judging yourself and other decent people for having dukkha... Do not do this to yourselves! Stay away from psychology and psychiatry completely or you risk losing sanity, decency and you will fall into crises from which you cannot recover easily. Just no.
19. Something from David Hume
20. Something from another philosopher whom David Hume knew and was friends with.
21. Nothing else can help you overcome suffering or dukkha. One needs to escape from not good enough places, if one can.

Bye bye.

Virtue, goodness and generosity indeed lead to happiness and sukha but in future lives only. Virtue and goodness are still the most important things after harmlessness, this after non-dukkha, and this after non-mental disability, such as non: worthlessness, insanity, craziness, madness, idiocy and being oligophrenic, and other such mental disabilities. People do not understand these in the West enough. Do not travel too much...

Bye bye.

Do not go into psychology and psychiatry. I know nothing of Western Psychology and Psychiatry except one thing. And it is wrong. I just know. This is my own psychology. Based on and inspired by Buddhism. With some Dhamma as well.

Bye bye.

Thank you Lord Buddha!!! Your faithful disciple, Stephen.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Stephen010mt wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:08 pm
Thank you Lord Buddha!!! Your faithful disciple, Stephen.
Are you this Stephen who lurked around in buddhist forums already years ago? Your outer appearance makes it difficult to assess. Anyway, it seems that your path isn't the buddhist path proper which is no problem from my perspective because I think that the buddhist path proper can't be any individual's path at all because there simply isn't any "buddhist path proper" ... which is evident through observing the discussions going on in this forum.

Nevertheless your faith in " Lord Buddha" can definitely help you if it is unconditioned faith. You hear me? "unconditioned faith"!

I've thought about it ...

"unconditioned faith" isn't faith that calculates "if he gives me that then I have faith" which would amount to a retrospective faith. "unconditioned faith" is more than that ... it can only be based on love ... if you love the Lord Buddha then - and only then - you can have unconditioned faith in Lord Buddha. Right? I think that loving Lord Buddha is what can be found in original buddhist countries ... why not learn from them?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Nevertheless your faith in " Lord Buddha" can definitely help you if it is unconditioned faith. You hear me? "unconditioned faith"!
In my opinion that unconditional faith will have only when you are Sotapanna. (eliminating doubt)
I think many of us are not at that level yet.
For this, you need a good friend ( perhaps at least another Sotapanna)
Listening to true Dhamma. (again only a good friend can do this. I am not sure whether Tipitaka alone is sufficient)
Yonisomanasikara and following the Noble Eightfold Path.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
kevinsstelly

Post by kevinsstelly »

You need to be philosophical about all the things that happen in the world! Things that we can influence we do change them! And things that we cannot change, we just take them easy! It's like with plastic surgery cosmetic practice, it solves some issues, some not, even with millions of dollars of funding!
Last edited by kevinsstelly on Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

SarathW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:01 am For this, you need a good friend ( perhaps at least another Sotapanna)
Can the breath be this friend?
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dhammapardon wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:51 pm
SarathW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:01 am For this, you need a good friend ( perhaps at least another Sotapanna)
Can the breath be this friend?
You have to learn the Dhamma from a Good friend.
In my opinion the observing the breath comes under the third factor Yonisomanasikara.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”