Wasp tips

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Wasp tips

Post by Ceisiwr »

I keep getting wasps in my house, every summer. Any tips on repelling (not killing) them?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Wasp tips

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 am I keep getting wasps in my house, every summer. Any tips on repelling (not killing) them?
They are, along with flies, supposedly repelled by mint. If it's too late to grow any, try peppermint or spearmint essential oil.

Keep all sweet stuff and fruit away from where they can smell it. Wipe jars of jam, etc. and wash recycled jars.

Apart from repelling them, try peaceful cooperation. There was a nest of the little blighters at Cittaviveka in a much-used part of the quad. It was interesting to see how the monks kept really calm around it, whereas visitors started flapping their arms and running.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 am I keep getting wasps in my house, every summer. Any tips on repelling (not killing) them?
The odd wandering wasp, or a hive?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

They don't like smoke. You could fill the air in your house with smoke. You wouldn't be able to live there but they either. Seriously, try with smoke
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

retrofuturist wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:01 am Greetings,
The odd wandering wasp, or a hive?

Metta,
Paul. :)
Not a hive, but for some reason every summer wasps seem to love my bedroom and only my bedroom. I had 5 in there last night.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:51 am
They are, along with flies, supposedly repelled by mint. If it's too late to grow any, try peppermint or spearmint essential oil.

Keep all sweet stuff and fruit away from where they can smell it. Wipe jars of jam, etc. and wash recycled jars.

Apart from repelling them, try peaceful cooperation. There was a nest of the little blighters at Cittaviveka in a much-used part of the quad. It was interesting to see how the monks kept really calm around it, whereas visitors started flapping their arms and running.
Thanks I’ll look into that.
Sadly this is me. I literally go into panic mode around them. I ended up killing the 5 that were in my room in the early hours last night. I’m feeling pretty guilty about it, so want to avoid such situations in the future hence my post.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mjaviem wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:47 am They don't like smoke. You could fill the air in your house with smoke. You wouldn't be able to live there but they either. Seriously, try with smoke
Hmm I don’t think that would be practical for me, but thanks.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Sutta Central is right. This forum is all about WASPs and neo-nazis.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:42 pm Sutta Central is right. This forum is all about WASPs and neo-nazis.
:rofl:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:41 pm
mjaviem wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:47 am They don't like smoke. You could fill the air in your house with smoke. You wouldn't be able to live there but they either. Seriously, try with smoke
Hmm I don’t think that would be practical for me, but thanks.
That said I do like burning incense, particularly sandalwood. I might try that too.
SDC

Post by SDC »

When I want a wasp to leave me alone I inform them of my ancestry and net worth. Works every time. :D
nmjojola

Post by nmjojola »

I’ve often heard dryer sheets work, not sure how many have to be used for the space you’re managing, nor the veracity of the theory, but apparently putting one in the mailbox is a common mail carrier practice, good luck.
Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:42 pm Sutta Central is right. This forum is all about WASPs and neo-nazis.
Almost choked on my tea with this one!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Try dabbing Peppermint oil at entry points around your windows and doors, or add it to some water in a spray container.

You can buy it at Boots or Holland and Barrett.

You could also try catching one at a time by slipping a jar over individuals and sliding a piece of card underneath the top of the jar. Stay calm, dont panic and start flapping about which will make them angry. I once unknowingly had a wasps nest in my loft and lots of them flew out of the sides of the loft flap and started swarming around the hall light. None of them stung me and I caught one or two in a jar and asked them to be patient, before opening the front door for them all to fly outside.

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Aloka wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:57 pm
Try dabbing Peppermint oil at entry points around your windows and doors, or add it to some water in a spray container.

You can buy it at Boots or Holland and Barrett.

:anjali: