depression treatments

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
rekoW

Re: depression treatments

Post by rekoW »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:53 pm The internet is a horrible place in many ways, but forums are a particularly dreadful place to look for health advice-- even here. Nobody knows you in person so can't be sure what you are dealing with and what the right thing to do is for you. Talk to a doctor.
Buddist health advice vs Medical health advice. If Buddist health advice fail this is karma for fall or desescending into lower world of Medical ($ Corporate $) health advice. Woke Corporatism Kapitalizm Konpazzion For Money.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

rekoW wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 pm
Buddist health advice vs Medical health advice. If Buddist health advice fail this is karma for fall or desescending into lower world of Medical ($ Corporate $) health advice. Woke Corporatism Kapitalizm Konpazzion For Money.
Great illustration of my point about this being is a dreadful place for advice on psychological problems.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 am do you think depression treatments work,
Yes. Either psychotherapy or medical or (if medical is needed then best option is) both.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:51 pm
rekoW wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 pm
Great illustration of my point about this being is a dreadful place for advice on psychological problems.
:goodpost:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 am do you think depression treatments work, like for depression as a clinical disorder
i have usually not favored psychiatric drugs and have not found my limited experience with counseling to be helpful.
but i am struggling pretty bad; today was rly hard.
First, like Lucas Oliveira rightly said: "it's no use for a person to take medicine for high blood pressure, and exaggerate in salt."
Get off drugs.
Get on depression treatment.
We are like plants — when it gets really bad for the latter, you don't feed them with compost. You give them chemic fertilizer, then you start giving them compost (deep fertilizer).
If you continue feeding them with chemicals, they'll die sooner or later, (or become very depressed:).
-------
Now if this is not yours:
"This is not mine, I am not this, this is not my self;"
"Yadanattā taṁ ‘netaṁ mama, nesohamasmi",

why don't you take the time to look at what's not yours, and keep it so (viz. "not yours").

By the way, that applies to any kind of experience (vedanā) - depression included, I suppose.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
rekoW

Post by rekoW »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:51 pm Great illustration of my point about this being is a dreadful place for advice on psychological problems.
A perzon has a love affair or a persen live party life and when they stop it is law of karma they will have negative feelign afterwards. Az soon az they have negetive fealing u want them to buy Pfzier Zolloft. I see this Budda website for bUdha solution. If BudDha solution fail the Big Farmer worldly world is waiting for descent into hell world.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Very Helpful

Bahukārasutta - Iti 107 - The reciprocal ways in which monks and lay supporters benefit one another.

This was said by the Buddha, the Perfected One: that is what I heard.

“Mendicants, brahmins and houselholders are very helpful to you, as they provide you with robes, almsfood, lodgings, and medicines and supplies for the sick. And you are very helpful to brahmins and householders, as you teach them the Dhamma that’s good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end, meaningful and well-phrased. And you reveal a spiritual practice that’s entirely full and pure. That is how this spiritual path is lived in mutual dependence in order to cross over the flood and make a complete end of suffering.”

The Buddha spoke this matter. On this it is said:

“The home-dweller and the homeless,
depending on each other,
find success in the true teaching,
the supreme sanctuary.

The homeless receive requisites
from the home-dwellers:
robes and lodgings
to shelter from harsh conditions.

Relying on the Holy One,
home-loving layfolk
place faith in the perfected ones,
meditators of noble wisdom.

Having practiced the teaching here,
the path that goes to a good place,
they delight in the heavenly realm,
enjoying all the pleasures they desire.”

This too is a matter that was spoken by the Blessed One: that is what I heard.

https://suttacentral.net/iti107/en/suja ... ript=latin
:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

rekoW wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:08 am
dharmacorps wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:51 pm Great illustration of my point about this being is a dreadful place for advice on psychological problems.
A perzon has a love affair or a persen live party life and when they stop it is law of karma they will have negative feelign afterwards. Az soon az they have negetive fealing u want them to buy Pfzier Zolloft. I see this Budda website for bUdha solution. If BudDha solution fail the Big Farmer worldly world is waiting for descent into hell world.
:zzz:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

rekoW wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:08 am
... huh? :alien:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Language aside, it does actually make sense. In the OP Salayatananirodha has acknowledged partying and doing akusala deeds. Should there be a surprise then that those actions (kamma) bear fruit (vipaka) in the form of unpleasant feelings in this life?

Medication might ameliorate the present feeling, but it won't address how those unpleasant feelings arose, so all it is doing is masking the problem.

Therefore, yes, if you want an explanation rooted in Buddhism, ask a Buddhist. If you want an explanation rooted in medical science, ask someone in that field. The fact Salayatananirodha posted here is his choice, and frankly I think it's a good one. It's a good action to find the solution to dukkha in the Dhamma, rather than in drugs... a step in the right direction.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Like others have written, cleaning up our habits goes a long way towards healing.

I don't even mean pretending to live like a holy man, and never partying or listening to music. Rather, more sports, outdoors, physical activity, like getting one's hands dirty and garden work. This helps with grounding, becoming aware of our physical being.

Then, taking better care of ourselves and our environment. Eating better, less time online, so wholesome consuming, whether physical or mental. Looking after our home, doing what we do with care and attention.

Finally, looking after others. Not just focused on oneself and one's well-being, but other people too, whether by volunteering or helping loved ones, neighbours, etc.

And yes, Dhamma practice. But Dhamma practice needs the right foundation. And before we get into any nitty gritty about Right View, I mean some good clean habits and some stability.
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings salayatananirodha,

I saw this article. I hope you find it useful...

How We Have Been Misled About Antidepressants

Take care.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 am do you think depression treatments work, like for depression as a clinical disorder
i have usually not favored psychiatric drugs and have not found my limited experience with counseling to be helpful.
but i am struggling pretty bad; today was rly hard.
Hi salayatananirodha,
Sorry to hear about your troubles,
As with all things you really need to engage with the treatment.
Drugs are not a magic treatment and different drug treatments are more or less effective depending on the individual, so observation is a must. I know if I miss a few doses I can really feel the effects sometimes, yet other times I can not tell I've missed them.
As for counseling, engagement is the key, again some interventions may not be affective, or even effective immediately, but you need to put in the effort.

Kind regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

look at the word depression

this condition is caused by repressing emotion

because emotion is difficult
User13866

Post by User13866 »

If you are staying in an environment which impedes your growth in the Dhamma and are day by day not living up to your values there will be a proportional sadness associated with it.

One who is stressed & worried becomes susceptible to suggestions and one who doesn't have a good environment is not expected to keep up good behavior and will fall under influence of another.

When you as a Buddhist see yourself doing misconduct it will eventually cause even criplling bouts of anxiety, fear, shame & regret, proportional to your faith.

When defilements are strong one will misbehave having lost one's judgement and this will cause painful mental feelings when clarity sets in hindsight.

It's a vicious cycle where behavior sets into cyclic patterns and it becomes a cycle of misbehavior - regret - effort to rehabilitate - misbehavior

Efforts to rehabilitate will bear fruit but eventually the bad environment & stress will become overwhelming and hindrances will manifest causing misbehavior.

Doing drugs is correlated to this and many people need them to somehow function because they have no alternatives. Drugs can make doing real rehabilitation work more difficult because now you also have to take into account the drug dependency.

Basically one needs to make serious moves like changing one's environment even to the point of abandoning wife & child for homelessness or a good environment in general. If we are stuck in a bad situation, year after year, it's kind of an emergency.

As to treatments there is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is probably expensive and of course the Dhamma but you might need a living support group either way.