depression treatments

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
salayatananirodha

depression treatments

Post by salayatananirodha »

do you think depression treatments work, like for depression as a clinical disorder
i have usually not favored psychiatric drugs and have not found my limited experience with counseling to be helpful.
but i am struggling pretty bad; today was rly hard.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
JamesTheGiant

Re: depression treatments

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Everyone is different, but yes SSRIs do work for me, and counselling also works but on a deeper level than the pills.
When I started taking paroxetine, a few people remarked to me that I seemed like a totally different person. Before I had been angry and suicidal and difficult to be around, but after I started on the pills I was much friendlier and also felt more happy in myself. Still depressed, but not near death!

If you don't like how they make you feel, you can just taper off and stop them.
It's up to you.

The best thing for my depression was twice-weekly ketamine, which I took for 3 months as part of a university study. I had total and complete recovery from the depression.
Gone!
But after you stop the ketamine it generally comes back.
salayatananirodha

i know it's not the same but i tried recreational ketamine and it made my whole body numb. totally freaked me out!
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
salayatananirodha

i'm still successful with the renunciation of all recreational drugs as of a few weeks ago and i have high expectations for this
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:00 am i know it's not the same but i tried recreational ketamine and it made my whole body numb. totally freaked me out!
I'm not sure such shenanigans are really going to help you. I'm recommend following the Buddha's teachings on sila for a stronger bedrock.

All the best.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Depression is difficult to heal. Like with many mental health disorders successful treatment usually doesn't mean it's gone, but that its intensity and impact on your life reduces. Medicine temporarily suppresses symptoms to some degree to help you feel better while you work on a long term solution. Eg Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, which has a Buddhist flavour and evidence that it works for depression.

Dhamma practice can help - you learn to observe the unhelpful thought patterns and take them less seriously. It can also hinder, if it's used to make the depressive person feel flawed and incapable.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Lack of an object of devotion, and object to serve, "parent", causes frustration. Nothing better the to go after what's worthy to fall for, worth of reverence, hospitality, sacrifices, to surrender, good householder. It's required to gain proper devotion toward oneself, cleans away the dust and dirt, leads to shine and calm, and toward release.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have little faith in any treatments for depression. At best, they are temporary solutions. I have seen several meditators suffering from mental health issues for years, going to therapy sessions, taking prescribed drugs, etc., and nothing ever works. They lack the self-confidence and faith to practise meditation seriously, which, as the Buddha pointed out, is the only way or the most direct way to extinguish mental and physical pain.

The Buddha did not only tell people to "go meditate." He taught the Dhamma to those like Pāṭācāra and Kisagotamī, who were suffering from intense grief and despair, to show them the universal truth of suffering. Once they had understood that (accepted it), they were able to meditate. See, the Salla Sutta for example.

The truth of suffering must be understood, the truth of the cause of suffering must be removed, the truth of the cessation of suffering must be realised, and the truth of the path leading to the end of suffering must be developed.

If anyone lacks the confidence to meditate properly, they should read and discuss the Dhamma until they gain confidence. Then they should "go meditate." There are meditation classes, retreat centres, and monasteries. Do not look for other methods. Just learn to focus your awareness systematically on your own bodily activities and mental processes until you understand the three characteristics. If bare insight practice is too hard, do some tranquillity meditation first before switching to satipaṭṭhāna vipassanā meditation.

The more you put into it, the more interest you will get. The more interest you get, the more confidence you will have to invest yet more time and energy in the practice. Progress may be slow or quick, but if you follow the right method, you will reap the benefits.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Johann

Post by Johann »

Meditate, meditate... there is reason why nearly all are simply sick in your spheres. Where did the Buddha ever encouraged anybody without possibility for higher release, to take on the higher first?

It's like steady telling prisoners about the free out there, yet even oneself within.

It's therfore recommend to go after the reasons for the six reflections, since it's required to access border-areas first.

How can one teach higher to those firm bond on sensuality. How can one neglect that this is a path, a training, of steps?

It's of no praise, of no glory, this ways of the Jains. No way out if lacking in proper joy, no way out if failing in proper conceit.

Not willing to be skilled in basics, it's like fishes wishing to fly. Or to try to teach a deaf singing.
rekoW

Post by rekoW »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 am do you think depression treatments work, like for depression as a clinical disorder
i have usually not favored psychiatric drugs and have not found my limited experience with counseling to be helpful.
but i am struggling pretty bad; today was rly hard.
I remember you are Pfizer hero who defeated Deadly Covid. Covid-Killer-Virus was not "clinical disorder" but new diseze from nearby cause. I say to you to be careful with idea such as "clinical disorder".
salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:01 am i'm still successful with the renunciation of all recreational drugs as of a few weeks ago and i have high expectations for this
You stop uzing recreational drugs like Methylenedioxyamphetamine (i hope eye spellt MDA corecterly) only a few week ago and expect your mind to have blissfulnessness of The Jhana? If u live 'high life' of drugging & sexxing if you stop u must 'come down' or 'fall' before balance to recovery. I suggess you be careful of idea of "clinical disorder" which is like excuse to go from illegal Methylenedioxyamphetamine to legal Pfizer Zoloft. Have endurance. You wait for your brain cell to rebalance from MDA to Withdrawal Depression to Back to Normal Balance. Have Faith in Nature. HAVE faith in Homeostasis. Investigate chines or other herbal medicine.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Exercising improves mood and reduces irritability and anxiety. It's also helps with meditation a teacher told me.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:00 am i know it's not the same but i tried recreational ketamine and it made my whole body numb. totally freaked me out!
Having done my fair share of that in the past, i can say it won't help.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

The internet is a horrible place in many ways, but forums are a particularly dreadful place to look for health advice-- even here. Nobody knows you in person so can't be sure what you are dealing with and what the right thing to do is for you. Talk to a doctor.

I have been helped by psych meds, and so have many friends and family. Is that right for you? I have no idea. Talk to a doctor. :anjali:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:53 pm The internet is a horrible place in many ways, but forums are a particularly dreadful place to look for health advice-- even here. Nobody knows you in person so can't be sure what you are dealing with and what the right thing to do is for you. Talk to a doctor.

I have been helped by psych meds, and so have many friends and family. Is that right for you? I have no idea. Talk to a doctor. :anjali:
:goodpost:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I've been doing psychiatric treatment and therapy with psychologists for a few years, I've learned that drugs help, but what cures are changes in habits.

it's no use for a person to take medicine for high blood pressure and exaggerate in salt.

treatment helps people to have a balance and choose the best path to follow.
salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 am but i am struggling pretty bad; today was rly hard.
if the situation is very difficult, maybe it's time to ask for help.

some people do not accept the treatment because of pride and prejudice.

but if you're trying to make an effort to get better and you're not succeeding, medicine can help you.

depression does not appear overnight, it is a long time of behavior that is not good for health and especially a negative mental attitude for a long time for depression to gain space.. and also depression won't go away quickly

I'm not in a good phase either... I talked to my psychiatrist and we agreed to make a small change in the dose of the medicine

but it is also clear my lack of discipline and neglect.

I am meditating little, cutting down on exercises, eating not very healthy and sleeping and waking up very late.

so there are no secrets, Buddhism speaks of the impermanence of these mental states and that there are causes and conditions for them to arise and disappear.

some people will need treatment and others will not.

some for a short period and some for a long time.
dharmacorps wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:53 pm Talk to a doctor. :anjali:
:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/