Can I as an unintelligent person attain stream entry?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
pegembara

Re: Can I as an unintelligent person attain stream entry?

Post by pegembara »

"Friend, how many conditions are there for the arising of right view?"

"Friend, there are two conditions for the arising of right view: the voice of another and appropriate attention. These are the two conditions for the arising of right view."

"And assisted by how many factors does right view have awareness-release as its fruit & reward, and discernment-release as its fruit & reward?"

"Assisted by five factors, right view has awareness-release as its fruit & reward, and discernment-release as its fruit & reward. There is the case where right view is assisted by virtue, assisted by learning, assisted by discussion, assisted by tranquility, assisted by insight. Assisted by these five factors, right view has awareness-release as its fruit & reward, and discernment-release as its fruit & reward."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Johann

Post by Johann »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:11 am
Johann wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:44 am Maybe worthy to add, since previous generally anwered (not on individual case). One who approaches the wise (which of course excludes youtube right from beginning...), and starts to ask in ways: what leads to my long time welfare, what, if abounding, is conductive for long time happiness... act's already intellect. As not doing such, going out and ask those gone further, is cause of stupidity.

"To what extent is there an awakening to the truth? To what extent does one awaken to the truth? We ask Master Gotama about awakening to the truth."...mn95
Everytime i search for sutta to answer some questiom, am i asking question?
Most think like that, yet a book doesn't know good householder state of mind, would be able to know the exact question, and wouldn't be able to distinguish between kinds of question. So for the most books just serve defilments desires.

And in most seldom cases, if in books, the basic attitudes like patient, devoted, generous, grateful... would be present. Much more often lead by very unwholesome states. Not seldom Dhamma is read while doing grave unskilful, say stealing time from the boss...
Internet makes things for the most just more worse.

So meeting the Samanas and hearing the Dhamma at proper occasion are adds to the hard to gain factors, good householder.

By nature of "books livelihood", they would never answer Nyoms question here right, or.

It's therfore also a matter of intelligence to seek for answers at the right place, like told in mn95 above. No chance to get the Dhamma via markets and trades, in improper way.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Avaranata Sutta wrote:
“Endowed with these six qualities, a person is incapable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even when listening to the true Dhamma. Which six?

“He is endowed with a [present] kamma obstruction, a defilement obstruction, a result-of-[past]-kamma obstruction; he lacks conviction, has no desire [to listen], and has dull discernment.

“Endowed with these six qualities, a person is incapable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even when listening to the true Dhamma.

“Endowed with these six qualities, a person is capable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even while listening to the true Dhamma. Which six?

“He is not endowed with a [present] kamma obstruction, a defilement obstruction, or a result-of-[past]-kamma obstruction; he has conviction, has the desire [to listen], and is discerning.

“Endowed with these six qualities, a person is capable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even while listening to the true Dhamma.”
asahi

Post by asahi »

If you have right teacher and are very diligent , sure .
Last edited by asahi on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No bashing No gossiping
analysis

Post by analysis »

DNS wrote: Seeing this change in the condition of the cloth, Culapanthaka came to realize the impermanent nature of all conditioned things.
So he was intelligent!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

analysis wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:26 pm
DNS wrote: Seeing this change in the condition of the cloth, Culapanthaka came to realize the impermanent nature of all conditioned things.
So he was intelligent!
"Thus, Culapanthaka ceased to be a dullard."

After the Insight gained; yes, intelligent / wise.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Generally being dull is an obstruction
“Endowed with these six qualities, a person is incapable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even when listening to the true Dhamma. Which six?

“He has killed his mother; he has killed his father; he has killed an arahant; he has, with corrupt intent, caused the blood of a Tathagata to flow; he has caused a split in the Sangha; or he is a person of dull discernment, slow & dull-witted.
I think that if one surrounded himself with smarter people one would have best outcome
Last edited by User13866 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

A dull witted person, just like a conventionally smart but deluded person, associating with Dhamma friends is in a good place to develop the fundamental qualities of virtue and kindness. Such a person may abandon causes for dullness and delusion and progress further and/or be in a good place for good future rebirths that can lead to enlightenment.