Can you work off anantarika karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sha Bac

Re: Can you work off anantarika karma?

Post by Sha Bac »

I'm sorry no one understands just how bad this is, or that no one believes me. I don't want anyone to believe me. The reason I know I did this is because of the karma. If I had healed with my powers everyone would know. But because I did just this one thing no one believes me. My body burns, I feel it all over. Every moment of consciousness is affected, has been for 10 months. Meditation isn't possible.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Adam1234 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:17 am Meditation isn't possible.
That makes sense

I know mental illness
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Suppose I am responsible for it.

What is the nature of the situation? It was an impulse, and I didn't think anything would happen.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Adam1234 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:55 am Suppose I am responsible for it.

What is the nature of the situation? It was an impulse, and I didn't think anything would happen.
From your posts , it appears you are enjoying this situation . Stop believing in your own thoughts. Then not as a meditation but follow your own inhaling and exhaling for a few minutes, to see a difference.
Good luck , my friend .
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I'm having a hard time accepting something I didn't believe was real to begin with but turned out to be real.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Adam1234 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:55 am What is the nature of the situation?
I think you are experiencing the consequences of trying to understand things through using a terminology you are not properly familiar with, hence a characteristic confusion.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Radix wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:02 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:55 am What is the nature of the situation?
I think you are experiencing the consequences of trying to understand things through using a terminology you are not properly familiar with, hence a characteristic confusion.
Can you say more?
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

I guess we have a way to see if it's an anantarika kamma or not.

I have read in Vishuddhimagga that a person with anantarika kamma won't be able to attain jhana in present life.

You can try to practice Jhana, for your case metta(brahmavihara) meditation would be best to attain jhana.

It is a practice, where a meditator starts by spreading thoughts of good-will and well-being to oneself and others. This eventually leads to a unified state. You must devote yourself to this practice and you'll be able to verify for yourself.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

sakyan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:39 am I have read in Vishuddhimagga that a person with anantarika kamma won't be able to attain jhana in present life.

You can try to practice Jhana, for your case metta(brahmavihara) meditation would be best to attain jhana.
So, if you cannot attain jhana, you may conclude that you have anantarika kamma? That is the sort of reasoning that is causing Adam1234 great suffering right now.

I don't think this test is either suitable or beneficial for someone with mental health problems and would advise against it.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I once lived in a building with a guy who looked like Gandhi. He would pace back and forth outside drinking coffee and smoking cigars. He told me once that doctors said he has schizophrenia. But we spoke multiple times, and once he told me that he is able to communicate through his thoughts. He said he has woken people up before just using his thoughts. One time I asked him about all the pictures and faces I see in my head, because they're not real so what's the point of them? In his reply he said at one point, "I wouldn't say they're not real".

In my situation, I had a lot of bad thoughts but didn't know I was COMMUNICATING them, through telepathy. I don't understand the karma. If a person is responsible for murder, don't they have to KNOW they're murdering?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:43 pm In my situation, I had a lot of bad thoughts but didn't know I was COMMUNICATING them, through telepathy. I don't understand the karma. If a person is responsible for murder, don't they have to KNOW they're murdering?
Yes.

That is why it is clear that you didn’t commit murder. The pain you are experiencing now is the result of an adherence to the belief that you had a relationship to this energy, but it seems very clear that there was no relationship. It was there. You were there. Your mom was there. All on different paths. Your belief is what keeps them together. That’s your choice.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I remember last November when I was harboring evil thoughts. One Sunday afternoon I read in the MN, sutta 56. A householder argues with Buddha over which rod is the most destructive, the mental rod, the verbal rod, or the bodily rod. The Buddha said the mental rod is the most destructive. I started to panic, because I was having evil thoughts. But then Buddha says the mental rod is how we furnish our actions with intent l. So I calmed down because I disbelieved that I was doing any harm with my mind.

But I think I failed to finish the sutta. In the latter part of the sutta, Buddha says that the mental rod can destroy with acts of hatred.

I didn't believe that I was causing harm with my mind, but I was.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:47 am I remember last November when I was harboring evil thoughts. One Sunday afternoon I read in the MN, sutta 56. A householder argues with Buddha over which rod is the most destructive, the mental rod, the verbal rod, or the bodily rod. The Buddha said the mental rod is the most destructive. I started to panic, because I was having evil thoughts. But then Buddha says the mental rod is how we furnish our actions with intent l. So I calmed down because I disbelieved that I was doing any harm with my mind.

But I think I failed to finish the sutta. In the latter part of the sutta, Buddha says that the mental rod can destroy with acts of hatred.

I didn't believe that I was causing harm with my mind, but I was.
You should read the sutta again. First off, he says he does not speak in terms of rods (a Jain term), he speaks in terms of deeds. Nowhere in that sutta does the Buddha say the mental rod can destroy in the way you’re describing.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

"What do you think, householder? Suppose some recluse or Brahman came here possessed of supernormal power and attained to master of mind, and he spoke thus: 'I will reduce this town of nalanda to ashes with one mental act of hate.' What do you think, householder, would such a recluse or Brahmin be able to do that?"
"Venerable sir, such a recluse or Brahmin possessed of super normal power and attained to mastery of mind would be able to reduce ten, twenty, thirty, forty, or even fifty nalandas to ashes with one mental act of hate, so what does a single trivial nalanda count for?"
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:53 am "What do you think, householder? Suppose some recluse or Brahman came here possessed of supernormal power and attained to master of mind, and he spoke thus: 'I will reduce this town of nalanda to ashes with one mental act of hate.' What do you think, householder, would such a recluse or Brahmin be able to do that?"
"Venerable sir, such a recluse or Brahmin possessed of super normal power and attained to mastery of mind would be able to reduce ten, twenty, thirty, forty, or even fifty nalandas to ashes with one mental act of hate, so what does a single trivial nalanda count for?"
But that doesn’t seem to be what you are describing happened to you. This example is someone who had mastery, and you said you didn’t.