Can you work off anantarika karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
User13866

Re: Can you work off anantarika karma?

Post by User13866 »

I suggest moving this thread to 'Connection to Other Paths' section.

This discourse is not particularly Buddhist.

Afaik there is nothing in EBTs suggesting that OP is a matricide nor that being a matricide would "block a chakra" preventing samadhi attanments.

Therefore entertaining that possibility has nothing to do with Buddhism.

Now recently OP is talking about Buddha's rays, this too isn't general Theravada.

In general the discussion here has imo more so become a discussion about 'personal experience' of a person who follows another path and is minimally familiar with EBT.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:01 pm I keep trying to feel the Buddha's rays. I keep trying to feel love.
Maybe more fruitful than to receive would be trying to give love (metta): wishing well for all beings around, just developing that thought and keeping it in mind, even if not feeling much immediate response is felt. As the Buddha said, patience is the highest virtue. It will bring its result and with time useless worries can fade.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Thank you everyone for your advice.
perkele

Post by perkele »

User13866 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:14 pmAfaik there is nothing in EBTs suggesting that OP is a matricide nor that being a matricide would "block a chakra" preventing samadhi attanments.

Therefore entertaining that possibility has nothing to do with Buddhism.
I think there is good evidence suggesting committing such an act would prevent samadhi attainments. IIRC, Devadatta lost his psychic powers and samadhi attainments after attempts to kill the Buddha, shedding his blood, and splitting the Sangha. I think it is reasonable to assume that one who could reach jhana at will before will lose that ability after committing anantarika kamma.
Adam seems to have come to such conclusions and started to believe that he committed such kamma (which I, as most others here it seems, still believe is not the case). One can lose jhana attainments and such through much less severe actions than actual matricide, without being condemned to hell immediately at the same time.
User13866 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:14 pmNow recently OP is talking about Buddha's rays, this too isn't general Theravada.

In general the discussion here has imo more so become a discussion about 'personal experience' of a person who follows another path and is minimally familiar with EBT.
Then maybe in such cases the best course is to steer it back to Theravada and state clearly what is considered to be superstitious nonsense here, so as to not heap more delusion on delusion:
According to what is commonly believed among Theravadins, the Buddha has attained parinibbana 2500 years ago and he is not here anymore, and he does not send out magical rays of light that can heal and undo evil deeds or something like that.
He simply taught a path to follow, a path of kamma (action) to go beyond kamma (final peace, liberation, nibbana).
And good kamma is the means to go beyond the adverse results of past kamma.
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:28 pm Thank you everyone for your advice.
Sadhu. May you find good thoughts and build new peace of mind.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

When I say Buddhas rays 'm just talking about a warm heart.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

perkele wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:03 pm IIRC, Devadatta lost his psychic powers and samadhi attainments after attempts to kill the Buddha, shedding his blood, and splitting the Sangha. I think it is reasonable to assume that one who could reach jhana at will before will lose that ability after committing anantarika kamma.
You convinced me
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I didn't wish bad thoughts thinking anything would happen. I was at work when it happened. They were impulsive thoughts and I tried to control them. I didn't think anything knowing anything was going to transpire.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:09 pm When I say Buddhas rays 'm just talking about a warm heart.
Thing is that when we are stressed we can't settle in meditation. It's then difficult to feel good things.

You seem very stressed with this and seem to have intrusive thoughts connected to fear, worry & confusion.

You should be trying calm these thoughts and spend at least something like 5 minutes twice a day developing mind of good-will, compassion, gladness on the account of the success of others & equanimity.

I think that if you do this then in at most 7 days or so you should feel a lot better.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:16 pm
You're not going to feel right until you act right.

And even then, it might take a bit of time.

So instead of trying to control your feelings, focus on doing the right things. You know what they are - starting with working to earn a living, taking care of personal hygiene, eating properly, etc.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Radix wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:50 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:16 pm
You're not going to feel right until you act right.

And even then, it might take a bit of time.

So instead of trying to control your feelings, focus on doing the right things. You know what they are - starting with working to earn a living, taking care of personal hygiene, eating properly, etc.
What am I experiencing?
perkele

Post by perkele »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:16 pm I didn't wish bad thoughts thinking anything would happen. I was at work when it happened. They were impulsive thoughts and I tried to control them. I didn't think anything knowing anything was going to transpire.
Then it does not seem like you committed murder with your thoughts.
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:10 pm What am I experiencing?
We don't know. (At least I don't for sure.) Apparently you are suffering mentally.

But how about this:
Radix wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:50 pm So instead of trying to control your feelings, focus on doing the right things. You know what they are - starting with working to earn a living, taking care of personal hygiene, eating properly, etc.
Are these basics of living and caring for yourself working reasonably well at the moment or not?
I remember a time where I think I was in a similar mental state, and these things all did not work well at all anymore, I was really unable to take care of myself, because I was just obsessed day and night with thoughts of killing myself and going to hell, and speculations what would happen then.
It was hard to get out of that.
Do you have any family or close friends that you could stay with to help you find your way back to better perspectives?
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

@Adam1234, what do you want from us/this thread?
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Nothing is working.

I take antipsychotics and am on social security income for schizophrenia.

I can't remember the last time I slept more than 3 hours at a time. I have panic attacks. The only person I talk to is my social worker.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:17 pm @Adam1234, what do you want from us/this thread?
I am looking for an explanation as to what I'm experiencing.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:19 pm
Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:17 pm @Adam1234, what do you want from us/this thread?
I am looking for an explanation as to what I'm experiencing.
You seem to already have the explanation, and reject all suggestions that don't fit in with your pre-existing view.

What do you really want?

No need to tell us, but it might help move this whole thing along. It is supremely useful to know what you want (=your intention).

It might be absolution, or condemnation, or punishment, or... Or... I wish you luck with finding out. Also you won't find it here.