Can you work off anantarika karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sha Bac

Re: Can you work off anantarika karma?

Post by Sha Bac »

I didn't think anything was going to happen and I didn't think I had the power to kill mentally. I'm looking for some other explanation. It's not like I sat down with some satanic curse with candles or anything, with pentagram and all that. It was a single thought...
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

You have received other explanations and they didn't do it for you.

Do you want someone to convince you of another explanation?

Only you can do this.

You are asking forum users to do your hard work for you. Many tried valiantly and it didn't work. Because it never, ever can.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:18 pm Nothing is working.

I take antipsychotics and am on social security income for schizophrenia.

I can't remember the last time I slept more than 3 hours at a time. I have panic attacks. The only person I talk to is my social worker.
That sounds depressing. I hope your social worker is empathetic and helpful.

And do you think the antipsychotics are helping you?
I have seen people on antipsychotics. They seemed like dead inside.

When have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia?
Was it just after this incident that you described? I'm not sure if I have understood the timeline correctly, when what happened, and since when you are mentally disturbed.
Last edited by perkele on Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:26 pm I didn't think anything was going to happen and I didn't think I had the power to kill mentally. I'm looking for some other explanation. It's not like I sat down with some satanic curse with candles or anything, with pentagram and all that. It was a single thought...
And nobody here believes you killed with that single thought, or with any amount of thoughts.
Whatever it is that you are experiencing, it can only stop if you can stop obsessing over it by yourself.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

After my mom died, the karma started to ripen immediately. First I thought I was responsible. But then over the next couple days the energy became intrusive. A violent energy arose and I felt burning everywhere. At points I was delirious. I eventually told my siblings what was going on and they told me to go to the hospital. When I was there I told the faculty that I had magic powers and killed my mom and that I was going to hell. They told me I was schizophrenic and gave me drugs. I was in the hospital 5 times this year and applied for disability.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:46 pm After my mom died, the karma started to ripen immediately. First I thought I was responsible. But then over the next couple days the energy became intrusive. A violent energy arose and I felt burning everywhere. At points I was delirious. I eventually told my siblings what was going on and they told me to go to the hospital. When I was there I told the faculty that I had magic powers and killed my mom and that I was going to hell. They told me I was schizophrenic and gave me drugs. I was in the hospital 5 times this year and applied for disability.
Do you have a good relation with your siblings?
Could you live with one of them for a while?
I just ask because that was quite helpful in my case.
I was obsessed with thoughts that I should stay away from them and from everyone I love with my evil influence and should possibly best kill myself and go to hell.

It turned out it was much better to go the opposite way, not only for myself but for the rest of my family, too.
Moving in with my sister, who cared for me and who also understood to an extent the sources for my mental anguish, because we had much of that in common, I was able to get back to my senses, eat properly, and finally go on with life, dealing with broken family relations as was necessary in the course of it. Shared family trauma can require shared family healing, to the extent that such is applicable.

Of course I don't know about your family relations, which are probably very different, and if any of that makes sense. I'm just projecting from my own past situation.
But if you have siblings who grew up with you, who are close to you (even after years apart, if you grew up together, that seems natural somehow), who understand you to an extent on account of that, maybe living in closer contact with them, even under one roof, can help to overcome the horrors in your mind.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:46 pm After my mom died, the karma started to ripen immediately. First I thought I was responsible. But then over the next couple days the energy became intrusive. A violent energy arose and I felt burning everywhere. At points I was delirious. I eventually told my siblings what was going on and they told me to go to the hospital. When I was there I told the faculty that I had magic powers and killed my mom and that I was going to hell. They told me I was schizophrenic and gave me drugs. I was in the hospital 5 times this year and applied for disability.
As I suggested once here , please find somebody who can hypnotize and get it done . That will be the solution. The psychiatrists often can do it.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I'm trying to understand my place in the causal sequence of events. It seems as though I caused it with my power and intent, without knowing I had the capacity. Which confuses me. But this karma is relentless, even though I was unbeknownst?
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Adam1234 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:33 pm It seems as though I caused it with my power and intent, without knowing I had the capacity.
Many things seem to be one way and turn out to be another.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

User13866 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:42 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:33 pm It seems as though I caused it with my power and intent, without knowing I had the capacity.
What do you mean? Like I had the power but didn't think so, or that I'm wrong about this?
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Adam1234 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:44 pm
User13866 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:42 pm
What do you mean? Like I had the power but didn't think so, or that I'm wrong about this?
I one time some 10 years ago thought that i probably fathered a child. If i was to make much of it i could say it was like a superpower intuition. Turned out that i was completely delusional but had conception happed id go around thinking i've maybe magical powers.

I think you are clearly a victim of randomness.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I just don't fully understand what happened. Or should i say how. I meditated, tried to control my thoughts. It's like I couldn't avoid it. Idk.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Adam1234 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:26 pm I just don't fully understand what happened. Or should i say how. I meditated, tried to control my thoughts. It's like I couldn't avoid it. Idk.
It doesn't even matter friend. You will never figure it out by thinking, investigating & worrying about it.

Your life seems very stressful, arguing with your mom, hospitalization, drugs too.

It's good that u got the social security and with that an opportunity to focus on rehabilitation.

Whatever happened that is gone now. Now you decide if you want to do good things so that your future will be good, if you do then you should start doing good behaviors, skillful behaviors with mind, speech & body.

Worrying & investigating this isn't a good skillful behavior. It's a habit you need to cut off.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

"Whatever a monk keeps pursuing with his thinking & pondering, that becomes the inclination of his awareness. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with sensuality, abandoning thinking imbued with renunciation, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with sensuality. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with ill will, abandoning thinking imbued with non-ill will, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with ill will. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with harmfulness, abandoning thinking imbued with harmlessness, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with harmfulness.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
“Bhikkhus, by frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for sensual lust, unarisen sensual desire arises and arisen sensual desire increases and expands. By frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for ill will, unarisen ill will arises and arisen ill will increases and expands. By frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for sloth and torpor, unarisen sloth and torpor arise and arisen sloth and torpor increase and expand. By frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for restlessness and remorse, unarisen restlessness and remorse arise and arisen restlessness and remorse increase and expand. By frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for doubt, unarisen doubt arises and arisen doubt increases and expands.

“Bhikkhus, by frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for the enlightenment factor of mindfulness, the unarisen enlightenment factor of mindfulness arises and the arisen enlightenment factor of mindfulness comes to fulfilment by development…. By frequently giving attention to things that are a basis for the enlightenment factor of equanimity, the unarisen enlightenment factor of equanimity arises and the arisen enlightenment factor of equanimity comes to fulfilment by development.”
https://suttacentral.net/sn46.23/en/bod ... ight=false
It's a questionable translation but this is good too
With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives [labels in the mind]. What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one complicates. Based on what a person complicates, the perceptions & categories of objectification assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future forms cognizable via the eye.
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/MN/MN18.html
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:19 pm I am looking for an explanation as to what I'm experiencing.
Self takes credit for everything

Then self suffers from everything

This is … delusion