Can you work off anantarika karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Radix

Re: Can you work off anantarika karma?

Post by Radix »

Adam1234 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:52 am When I had intention I thought it was fantasy, like when you write in a journal
Thoughts are not as harmless as they are often portrayed in popular culture.

By this I don't mean that one can just kill others with thoughts. But if there is a close bond between two people (such as often between siblings, or between a mother and her child) then because of this bond, thoughts (and words) have much more power, constructive and destructive.

That said, based on what you said so far, I don't think you killed you mother. But harboring hateful thoughts toward her is bad, it was bad for her, and it is bad for you.

As for what you can do, is reflect on how valuable parents are and what debt children owe them. This is not a popular topic in modern culture, but it is of vital importance for being civilized.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Adam1234 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:32 pm So where's my responsibility?
To use your thoughts for the good, not the bad.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I think I killed her without knowing I was doing so.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Get a job and stop distracting yourself from important things in your life.
Glenn Wallis
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

How does a person experience what I'm going through without karma? Is karma everything?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:23 pm How does a person experience what I'm going through without karma? Is karma everything?
It isn’t easy to understand precisely why you are experiencing this pain. It could very well be a result action on the level of intention, which has to do with your motivation. Going back to the life you were living prior to this period of distress, you need to ask yourself why you engaged in certain behaviors. Why did alcohol become a routine part of your life? What we’re you trying to avoid? Why did you spend years cultivating this type of behavior? The answer to how you think and feel today is a result of what you’ve been cultivating and fashioning throughout your life. That’s your kamma- the action that shaped who you are. That is where you are going to find the reason why you are so willing to accept this blame when it clearly isn’t yours to bear, but even more than that, you’ll find the reason why you are trying so hard to avoid coming to terms with anything that you don’t want.

I’m not suggesting this be something that is discussed publicly, but if you want to find the strength to develop out of this pain you have clean up your behavior and learn to live within that type of clarity rather than behaving without any restraint and then wondering why you feel constant guilt and pain.

Ask yourself this. Why is it so hard to let go of the belief that you are responsible for the death of your mother? Why are you so scared to face what’s on the other side? Lots of people have spent time trying to help you. I am wondering if you could simply entertain this possibility just as a simple thought experiment. Again, feel free not to respond publicly, just ponder the idea and see what comes up.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Vandami

Post by Vandami »

Adam, I am very sorry to read this long, sorrowful thread. Such disaster is what happens when living without kalayanamitta. Mara has indeed set you up nicely. I believe you have done what you have said you have done, and what you dread to admit. It may well be that your fate is sealed. But it would be worth raising the question privately with some very senior monk or meditator. Finding such a person may take some time. Maybe there is a way to slightly ameliorate the crime. But it is difficult to discuss this question on a public forum. You need to approach a great being with humility. You do indeed need intensive help. Where to find a being that could help you, is indeed the question.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Vandami wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 pm Adam, I am very sorry to read this long, sorrowful thread. Such disaster is what happens when living without kalayanamitta. Mara has indeed set you up nicely. I believe you have done what you have said you have done, and what you dread to admit. It may well be that your fate is sealed. But it would be worth raising the question privately with some very senior monk or meditator. Finding such a person may take some time. Maybe there is a way to slightly ameliorate the crime. But it is difficult to discuss this question on a public forum. You need to approach a great being with humility. You do indeed need intensive help. Where to find a being that could help you, is indeed the question.
You believe he has killed his Mum, but are there any doubts in HIS mind, that's the question, no?

:anjali:
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

(Its me you was speaking to before BTW the dude from the UK).
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

So well done Dhamma Wheel.. not.

So yes I guess its possible this guy killed his Mum with a psychic ray blast from his mind because he had previously had a 'Kundalini Awakening' or something.

It's also possible he didn't and is suffering an extreme amount of psychosis + depression etc. due to the guilt of what he thinks he has done.. warping his reality warping his mind.. into a place beyond normal human comprehension & suffering.

It's possible the laceration in his Mums heart was caused by the Dr's and Nurses at the Hospital overcooking the C.P.R. when they tried to resuscitate her. It also possible perhaps she had a previously undiagnosed heart attack that could also cause a contusion in the heart.

I really don't think its helpful those of you who have be re-enforcing what this guy perceives to be his reality.

Yeh its possible he did some sort of Dark Jedi mind attack on his Mum like an ancient and powerful sage but considering he was and still is (last I heard) imbibing a shed ton of Alcoholic bevvies at the time, it's also possible its a load of steaming BS.

If you are still alive fella, and haven't become yet another victim of this sick and twisted internet.. Find your nearest Sangha, find some Bhantes Monks or Nuns who are practising well & keeping good vinya/precepts (even if you have to fly to another country etc.) Do what they say.. Chant a boat load and share the merits with all your past away relatives... + do all the other good stuff you can. Also seek the advice and guidance of some Mental health professionals to get you through the crisis you are in at the moment (but realize that ultimately they can't fix you totally or even that much at all.. that's where you need to connect with the Tripple Gem. take refuge in The Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha immediately and start keeping the precepts as much as you can...Surround yourself with Kaliana Mitta (Not the people you meet in the Mental Health Unit most likely).

I heard Maitreya is going to release everyone from Hell anyway when he comes.. I think, If I recall correctly, the Monk who said it said he's coming sooner than people realize..

(Its me you was speaking to before BTW the dude from the UK).
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

....I heard Maitreya is going to release everyone from Hell anyway when he comes.. I think, If I recall correctly, the Monk who said it said he's coming sooner than people realize..
Jesus Christ?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
santa100

Post by santa100 »

KeepCalm wrote:I heard Maitreya is going to release everyone from Hell anyway when he comes.. I think, If I recall correctly, the Monk who said it said he's coming sooner than people realize.
Uh... not according to DN 26. First, things have to get really really ugly, then have to get really really wonderful, and only then will arise in the world the Exalted One named Metteyya.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Well apparently Lord Buddha also said that Buddhism would only last 500 years if he allowed women into the order, so not everything is set in stone it seams.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

KeepCalm wrote:Well apparently Lord Buddha also said that Buddhism would only last 500 years if he allowed women into the order, so not everything is set in stone it seams.
Ah that's another very common misconception among Buddhists' circles. As AN 8.51 made it very clear, that's exactly the reason why the Buddha prescribed the Eight Principles of Respect right after He allowed women to join the Sangha, in order to restore the Dhamma age back to its supposed life span.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

santa100 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:39 am
KeepCalm wrote:Well apparently Lord Buddha also said that Buddhism would only last 500 years if he allowed women into the order, so not everything is set in stone it seams.
Ah that's another very common misconception among Buddhists' circles. As AN 8.51 made it very clear, that's exactly the reason why the Buddha prescribed the Eight Principles of Respect right after He allowed women to join the Sangha, in order to restore the Dhamma age back to its supposed life span.
Going by the sutta alone I don't see any misconception... but I do see a somewhat dubious sutta. Ananda asked three times... that should be the end of it. But Ananda grew cunning and pointed out the Buddha's unreasonableness... I really don't think so.

End of days predicting is common in most religions and if the 'Ancients' can slip one in whilst putting women in their place then hey, why not.