Can you work off anantarika karma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SDC

Re: Malevolent acts of mind

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:30 pm
SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:19 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:54 pm

Well I had kundalini awaken in 2013. It happened on its own. In my case, I was definitely an ascetic. I didn't drive, had no electricity, no TV, no cell phone. I did yoga and could sit lotus. Idk about the term BRAHMIN. But I was definitely in some sort of higher state. I had the chakras with spiritual vision. I didn't think I was THAT advanced.
Were you keeping the precepts at the time? Any drugs or alcohol?
I mean I wasn't trying to be a bad person. I was celibate and only the only meat I ate was fish. I slept on low beds. I smoked pot for 10 years but wasn't doing so at the time. I can't remember how much I was drinking at the time, but I was probably drinking daily.
How were you able to know the difference between an alcohol-induced experience and anything else if you were drinking every day?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:47 pm
SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:19 pm

Were you keeping the precepts at the time? Any drugs or alcohol?
I mean I wasn't trying to be a bad person. I was celibate and only the only meat I ate was fish. I slept on low beds. I smoked pot for 10 years but wasn't doing so at the time. I can't remember how much I was drinking at the time, but I was probably drinking daily.
How were you able to know the difference between an alcohol-induced experience and anything else if you were drinking every day?
Well it's not as though I was drinking at the time it happened. It happened really early in the morning when I was at work. I can't remember how much I had been drinking at the time. I think it was everyday but I'm not sure.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:52 pm

Well it's not as though I was drinking at the time it happened. It happened really early in the morning when I was at work. I can't remember how much I had been drinking at the time. I think it was everyday but I'm not sure.
What I mean is, if you were drinking pretty much everyday, how were you able to tell the difference between the effects of excessive drinking and any meditative attainment? Is it possible that your “higher state” was an effect of alcohol consumption and not your meditation?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:56 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:52 pm

What I mean is, if you were drinking pretty much everyday, how were able to tell the difference between the effects of excessive drinking and any meditative attainment? Is it possible that your “higher state” was an effect of excessive alcohol consumption and not your meditation?
Well I felt a lot of power. It was like electricity surging through me. It became really intense when I got rid of all my stuff and went without electricity. I also used to this this BLACKNESS. it started to arise in 2018. It seemed to be unaffected by my substance use. While I did know about samadhi, I didn't really meditate all that much. I mostly meditated in the sauna which induced a lot of concentration.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:01 pm Well I felt a lot of power. It was like electricity surging through me. It became really intense when I got rid of all my stuff and went without electricity. I also used to this this BLACKNESS. it started to arise in 2018. It seemed to be unaffected by my substance use. While I did know about samadhi, I didn't really meditate all that much. I mostly meditated in the sauna which induced a lot of concentration.
This goes back to our discussion about belief and the line between accepting/denying. How sure are you that it wasn’t a physiological or psychological effect of daily alcohol consumption? How and why are you making the decision to believe one thing and not another?
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:11 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:01 pm Well I felt a lot of power. It was like electricity surging through me. It became really intense when I got rid of all my stuff and went without electricity. I also used to this this BLACKNESS. it started to arise in 2018. It seemed to be unaffected by my substance use. While I did know about samadhi, I didn't really meditate all that much. I mostly meditated in the sauna which induced a lot of concentration.
This goes back to our discussion about belief and the line between accepting/denying. How sure are you that it wasn’t a physiological or psychological effect of daily alcohol consumption? How and why are you making the decision to believe one thing and not another?
Because after she passed this energy arose in me, making me suffer. I had to remember what I had done. I completely forgot about it. I didn't think that my intention could do that.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:58 pm
Because after she passed this energy arose in me, making me suffer. I had to remember what I had done. I completely forgot about it. I didn't think that my intention could do that.
I wasn’t talking about the incident with your mother, I’m talking about this:
Well I had kundalini awaken in 2013. It happened on its own. In my case, I was definitely an ascetic. I didn't drive, had no electricity, no TV, no cell phone. I did yoga and could sit lotus. Idk about the term BRAHMIN. But I was definitely in some sort of higher state. I had the chakras with spiritual vision. I didn't think I was THAT advanced.
Were you drinking daily during this time? If so, how sure are you that this “higher state” wasn’t a physiological or psychological effect of daily alcohol consumption? How and why are you making the decision to believe one thing and not another?
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:03 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:58 pm

I wasn’t talking about the incident with your mother, I’m talking about this:
Were you drinking daily during this time? If so, how sure are you that this “higher state” wasn’t a physiological or psychological effect of daily alcohol consumption? How and why are you making the decision to believe one thing and not another?
Oh, no. I didn't drink then. That was a long time ago.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 pm Oh, no. I didn't drink then. That was a long time ago.
I think my questions may be getting too personal at this point. I guess I’m just curious as to why you think you retained the higher state after you stopped living like an ascetic and began drinking on a daily basis. Why would you abandon “mastery of the mind” as described in MN 56? If your higher state was fully mastered, why did you fall away from it? Why turn to alcohol? How do you trust your mind when you are consuming alcohol so often? Aren’t you worried that you may not be thinking clearly? I guess my point is that you are making a lot of arbitrary decisions about your experience without any real proof or assurance that you are correct. Does that concern you?
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

SDC wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:19 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 pm Oh, no. I didn't drink then. That was a long time ago.
I think my questions may be getting too personal at this point. I guess I’m just curious as to why you think you retained the higher state after you stopped living like an ascetic and began drinking on a daily basis. Why would you abandon “mastery of the mind” as described in MN 56? If your higher state was fully mastered, why did you fall away from it? Why turn to alcohol? How do you trust your mind when you are consuming alcohol so often? Aren’t you worried that you may not be thinking clearly? I guess my point is that you are making a lot of arbitrary decisions about your experience without any real proof or assurance that you are correct. Does that concern you?
I haven't described the timeline correctly. The kundalini awoke in 2013. I was in a state of thoughtless bliss for months. I found meditation and buddhism. In 2016 I could hear people's thoughts, had no TV or cell phone or internet. I began sitting lotus. Then I found yoga in 2017 and started really living like an ascetic in 2021. I was living as an ascetic at the time it happened. I drank a lot between 2017 and 2021. Idk why.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

I know it doesn't fully make sense. I didn't know I had powers.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

It doesn't sound like I had mastery of mind.
Sha Bac

Voluntary manslaughter

Post by Sha Bac »

What is the karmic difference between an impulsive murder and a pre meditated one? Like if a person kills another in an impulsive act of rage. I guess that would be called second degree murder?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Voluntary manslaughter

Post by DNS »

Adam1234 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:39 pm What is the karmic difference between an impulsive murder and a pre meditated one? Like if a person kills another in an impulsive act of rage. I guess that would be called second degree murder?
Legally speaking, yes, an impulsive act would be second degree murder. First degree murder would be a premeditated one, where the person plans it for some time, makes preparations and carries out the dirty deed.

And then there is third degree murder, involuntary manslaughter. I think car accidents fall under that where you didn't intend or mean to kill the person, but did some bad driving that ended up killing someone.

I think kamma is similar in that it also focuses on the intent where there is little to no repercussions if there was no intent.
Sha Bac

Re: Voluntary manslaughter

Post by Sha Bac »

DNS wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:18 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:39 pm What is the karmic difference between an impulsive murder and a pre meditated one? Like if a person kills another in an impulsive act of rage. I guess that would be called second degree murder?
Legally speaking, yes, an impulsive act would be second degree murder. First degree murder would be a premeditated one, where the person plans it for some time, makes preparations and carries out the dirty deed.

And then there is third degree murder, involuntary manslaughter. I think car accidents fall under that where you didn't intend or mean to kill the person, but did some bad driving that ended up killing someone.

I think kamma is similar in that it also focuses on the intent where there is little to no repercussions if there was no intent.
So there may be no karmic differentiation between first degree and second degree murder?