What's your first (second...) language, ...your first (second...) from?

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: What's your first (second...) language, ...your first (second...) from?

Post by DNS »

Spanglish is the fastest growing language in the American Southwest. Everywhere you go you see people mixing Spanish and English; sometimes 50-50 (Latinos) or sometimes 90-10 (English first) among the gringos.

mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:56 pm ... French and English...
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:35 pm ... a potpourri of phonetic innovation... fused and merged. The end result is...

Bonus: The sound of the Pali language.

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

mjaviem wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:17 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:56 pm ... French and English...
That's wonderful. Reminded me of Bill Wyman's "Je Suis un Rock Star" :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

English has always been a "kitchen sink" language, with extensive addition and modification over the centuries. It continues to evolve according to local conditions, whether Canadian Franglais, Singaporean Singlish, or New Zealand English, which now includes quite a number of Māori words. Not to mention the bafflingly diverse and obscure dialects one encounters in the UK... :tongue:

This can, of course, cause difficulties in communication. At international meetings you soon realise that it is important to speak in rather generic dialect, with your local dialect and slang minimized. Oddly, this is something that speakers of UK dialects of English sometimes overlook. Perhaps they feel that they still own the language... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

mjaviem wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:17 am
And then there's Chiac:

The girl speaks a very "standard" French. The guy does not.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
PeaceLover

Post by PeaceLover »

Hello, I’m new here. Sinhala is my first language, but comparatively English is much easier. It’s funny how I was exposed to Buddhism both in Pali and Sinhala (in the Sanskrit-ized version of Pali) whole my life and didn’t really grasp the direct meanings of crucial dharma words (like skanda, paticcasamuppada).

But knowing the English meanings behind all those terms, made my understanding much easier. And looking back at what I was exposed to, it all make sense now. Dunno why my original language didn’t click with me when it came to Buddhism.