Is masturbation bad in theravada buddhism?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
confusedsoso

Is masturbation bad in theravada buddhism?

Post by confusedsoso »

Is masturbation bad in theravada buddhism? I heard somewhere that monks arent allowed to masturbate while lay people are. Does this mean that masturbation is a hindrance to nirvana?? What are your feelings on this?
JamesTheGiant

Re: Is masturbation bad in theravada buddhism?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

For laypeople, the precept is Don't Commit Adultery. Like sex with a married person, or someone in a long term relationship.

But for monks and anyone comitted to attaining nibanna quickly, yes attachment to pleasure is a big hindrance, and that's one reason why monks are forbidden to masturbate.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The way I understand masturbation is an offense for monks so it should be confessed.
For lay people, I do not think it breaks the third precept or any of the five precepts.
However, at least give a break on Uposatha days even though it is not directly addressed in the Suttas.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:14 pm The way I understand masturbation is an offense for monks so it should be confessed.
Yes and it's a big deal for monks. They have to confess the Sanghadisesa to the whole community living at that monastery, and during the period of penance they have to daily confess in a little ceremony to each and every monk.
If the monastery doesn't have at least 20 monks, they have to travel to a bigger monastery to clear the offence.
It's a big hassle and an important rule for bhikkhus.
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

Can I become a demon or devil if I masturbate too much?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedsoso wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:13 pm Can I become a demon or devil if I masturbate too much?
I do not think so.
Normally you are reborn as a demon or devil with aversion or anger.
But masturbation is an attachment related to Kamara.
If I am not wrong only humans masturbate.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:09 am If I am not wrong only humans masturbate.
Chimpanzees have been known to masturbate. Apparently, some other animals too.
https://gizmodo.com/9-animals-that-mast ... 1723592357
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

I know dolphins masturbate too.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedsoso wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:26 am I know dolphins masturbate too.
Ha Ha
Most probable you will become a chimpanzee or a dolphin at your next birth.
:tongue:
It is not that bad unless you want to attain Nibbana in the next life.
So keep on to your good work.
:D
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

Hopefully a peaceful chimp. You do know some chimps can get very violent. Demented and deranged.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

It is not bad in the sense that it creates bad kamma (for laypeople who have not vowed celibacy), the way killing, stealing or adultery does. It is bad in the sense that it generates attachment and hinders your ability to enlighten. But that is true with married sex, and anything lustful in general.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

TRobinson465 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:45 am It is not bad in the sense that it creates bad kamma (for laypeople who have not vowed celibacy), the way killing, stealing or adultery does. It is bad in the sense that it generates attachment and hinders your ability to enlighten. But that is true with married sex, and anything lustful in general.
Yes, it is something like an attachment to food and a craving for it.
justpractice

Post by justpractice »

The Buddha encouraged us to see the danger in sensuality, and to practice accordingly. Masturbation is a very coarse form of sensuality that should be considered a hindrance if one is taking the practice seriously.

In regards to being reborn in the hell realms, you could give up masturbation for the rest of your life and still be subjected to eons of lower births. Only a sotappana or higher is guaranteed freedom from the hell realms. That being said, you'd certainly give yourself an advantage of realizing the path while maintaining full celibacy than you would otherwise.

From MN 13:
Furthermore, for the sake of sensual pleasures, they conduct themselves badly by way of body, speech, and mind. When their body breaks up, after death, they’re reborn in a place of loss, a bad place, the underworld, hell. This is a drawback of sensual pleasures to do with lives to come, a mass of suffering caused by sensual pleasures.
"Whoever avoids sensual desires
— as he would, with his foot,
the head of a snake —
goes beyond, mindful,
this attachment in the world." - Sn 4.1
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

The Buddha recommended guarding the senses. Indulging in tactile sense perception is a dart, a poison, ill. The Buddha would not recommend indulging in tactile sensual pleasures. In fact he would recommend renouncing the penis and it’s pleasures. That’s what you should work on.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
User13866

Post by User13866 »

It's called attacking with hand.