Are people with ASPD unteachable?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammapardon

Are people with ASPD unteachable?

Post by Dhammapardon »

What if they are dysfunctional and struggle to understand Sangha participation and cause tumult? Will Sangha give up or leave them behind? Should they leave Sangha and learn on their own if they are a burden? Will they go to hungry ghost or hell if they can't understand?
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
dharmacorps

Re: Are people with ASPD unteachable?

Post by dharmacorps »

What is ASPD?

Presuming it is some kind of medical condition, all of these questions are likely impossible to answer as they would be sweeping generalizations ignoring individuals differences in medical conditions, preceptors, and the sangha.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 pm What is ASPD?
ASPD is Antisocial Personality Disorder, or what people call Sociopath.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Radix

Post by Radix »

It seems sociopaths can do fairly well in religious circles. All that indifference toward others can easily pass for detachment, a spiritual attainment.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Dhammapardon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:08 pm What if they are dysfunctional and struggle to understand Sangha participation and cause tumult? Will Sangha give up or leave them behind?
Like elsewhere in society, they can obtain positions of power and leadership.
Will they go to hungry ghost or hell if they can't understand?
Frankly, that's hard to believe. Sociopaths generally seem to do quite well. It's other people who have problems with them. And if any religion, it's Buddhism that is perfect for protecting sociopathy, under the guise of detachment, taking responsibility for one's feelings, etc.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
User13866

Post by User13866 »

A “sociopath” has little regard for another person's emotions, rights, or experiences. They lack remorse for their actions, and they act in ways that show no regard for others, including lying, cheating, and manipulating. Some people with this condition aren't very sly about their conduct. Others are quite deceptive.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sociopa ... e&ie=UTF-8
I wouldn't want to be around one
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I think the problem there would be the lack of empathy, and the brahmaviharas. I know some monks recommend those who struggle with mental illness focus on giving and gratitude (generosity). Not everyone is equipped to ordain in this life (myself included).
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

Radix wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:43 pm It seems sociopaths can do fairly well in religious circles. All that indifference toward others can easily pass for detachment, a spiritual attainment.
Admittedly I have not research deeply into the condition but if a person exhibits reckless behavior like speaking insensitively, default to thinking only of oneself, disregard for social norms, difficulty establishing long relationships with others, difficulty interpret social cues, this does not appear to be indifference.

User13866 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:22 pm I wouldn't want to be around one
With a definition like that, I'd understand why. Would you turn them away if they sincerely asked to learn the Dhamma? If not, how would they best be instructed?
User13866 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:22 pm
A “sociopath” has little regard for another person's emotions, rights, or experiences. They lack remorse for their actions, and they act in ways that show no regard for others, including lying, cheating, and manipulating. Some people with this condition aren't very sly about their conduct. Others are quite deceptive.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sociopa ... e&ie=UTF-8
I may be confused between what I am attempting to describe and this definition. The comparison seemed closer at first but the two are drifting apart now.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

I think the question is more centered around emotional understanding and expression, or lack thereof, and ways to understand and refine emotional understanding and expression. Especially in the way it appears in social settings such as empathizing so to not harm others in ignorance and recklessness, and to express intentions more accurately.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Dhammapardon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:03 pm Would you turn them away if they sincerely asked to learn the Dhamma? If not, how would they best be instructed?
If i ever met one who fits that definition and asking about the Dhamma, which i think is very unlikely, then i might talk to see what views they hold and how fixated they are in that. Id see about whether it's likely that those wrong views can be dismantled by reasoning and or meditative attainments.

If i think the person is willing to put in the work and is not in a position to be a threat or liability, then id be happy to see how that goes but id keep them at a distance.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Dhammapardon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:38 pm I think the question is more centered around emotional understanding and expression, or lack thereof, and ways to understand and refine emotional understanding and expression. Especially in the way it appears in social settings such as empathizing so to not harm others in ignorance and recklessness, and to express intentions more accurately.
Maybe you mean something closer to people high in autistic traits, not well socially adapted. I tend to think of sociopaths as more of an 'anti social' behavior, as in socially harmful & disruptive rather than socially awkward/maladapted.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Metta is an integral part of the practice which allows for the experiencing of reasons for why some may find it hard to attain. As long as those are among the wise there can be progress.

While there are episodes of schismatic formations like current attempts to form right wing fascistic groupings they fail as long as there are adherents to The Dhamma that are listened to. A time will come when that is no longer so and sociopathic, psychopathic and narcissistic tendencies may rule and then after some time The Dhamma will once again be discovered and the wheel will once again turn.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

User13866 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:07 pm Maybe you mean something closer to people high in autistic traits, not well socially adapted.
I'll look into this. Thank you.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Social skills are not a deal breaker in Dhamma practice.
Intensity of ill-will & greed - a small heart, is the deal breaker.

In current era, material is on the internet, a physical sangha participation is not as important.

It is more important that one likes one's own company. As most of the effort in Dhamma practice, is exerted when one is not around others.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Dhammapardon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:03 pm a person exhibits reckless behavior like speaking insensitively, default to thinking only of oneself, disregard for social norms, difficulty establishing long relationships with others, difficulty interpret social cues,
Sounds like the ideal modern Buddhist.
Glenn Wallis