r/TheravadaBuddhism
is classical (but tiny)
BKh

Re: A brief history of Buddhist internet forums

Post by BKh »

DW(T) = safe space for sexism, right wing, and monks
ClassicalTheravada = Classical
SuttaCentral = safe place for women and nuns

Also, if someone gets banned on multiple forums, it may not be an issue with the forum. Just saying.

And for anyone interested, here are the guidelines that people need to agree to when making an account on SC:
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/guidelines

Except for the quotes from the suttas and the part about Buddhist extreme views, it's all fairly standard stuff. So to say
that requiring registrants to state that they have not only read, but understood his long summary of his personal Buddhist philosophy is a barrier to those who take the Fourth Precept seriously.
is laughable.

For one, there is no requirement to say that you understand them, only have read them. But then to claim that they are somehow forcing people to break the fourth precept is ridiculous. If you don't agree with them, don't create an account. But please don't imply that someone is forcing you to lie.

That said, I appreciate the op. It's always fascinating to see internet Buddhist history.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SDC wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:45 pm
SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:14 pm Thankfully I was not banned except for two weeks. (even it was removed later)
I still can’t believe you were suspended. The previous administration did not like all your questions. :spy: :D
I think the previous administration couldn't defend their views and responded negatively to criticism.

I find the current site full of people who I agree with and people I disagree with... it's a much more relaxed feel to the site and the sky doesn't fall in if you post something in the wrong section or question BVT.
Johann

Post by Johann »

My person doesn't know any forum outside that doesn't requires to be not really serious in precepts and he knows of no forum outside where the moderators and admins are serious with the basic precepts, (that incl. foremost "monk and nuns" forums), right view and right resolve. In short= the common modern western world is total empty of places where Buddhaparisa could dwell.

Since no Sangha in this realm, as not really given (or not seeking for such), proper spoken: there is nothing as such like "Buddhist history" found in this realm, yet a lot nourish on the heritage, yes.

It's for the most simply trade and gain, but people meet together on an element (according to their virtues) is common.

Some of their history and going on is found under [Blog] or [DD] here. https://forum.sangham.net/index.php?boa ... rt=subject

German language, as they are formost in pushing a marxist agenda into this Sasana, are already all gone and large one overtaken by secular traders in Dhamma.

A social area for Buddhist, althought still no proper regards toward the Sangha, but given and maintained by own effort, giving such as DW, is very very seldom. How does one expect that the greedy and stingy mass without much consideration, could easily provide space for those with virtue?

It's sold out, and as sold out, just creative common, trade with fake and in wrong ways, will prosper, calling it then "faithful reading" maybe.
Last edited by Johann on Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

BKh wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:22 am DW(T) = safe space for sexism, right wing, and monks
I would have thought it more correct to say that those things are not constitutionally or officially penalised here. But the same applies to other views and people, providing they keep within the ToS. And nothing is "safe", in the sense of being immune from criticism by other posters.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:24 am
BKh wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:22 am DW(T) = safe space for sexism, right wing, and monks
I would have thought it more correct to say that those things are not constitutionally or officially penalised here. But the same applies to other views and people, providing they keep within the ToS. And nothing is "safe", in the sense of being immune from criticism by other posters.
It proper said that there are less biases of politic and gender-stupidy found at DW, good householder. But offender are blind, yet while most discriminating and violent, most sex-biased and most excluding, calling to act so because wishing to apoear "liberal". No little notion of improper discrimination in regard of birth or gender, social stand, bodily handicaps found on DW at all.

There is surely no point for any derived at integrity to trace basic right and wrong.

It of course not proper to say itjs a safe place for monks, as it's not at all dedicated for higher, but assumed that all are same, same. So most dangerous for monks, nuns, as maintainer aren't familiar, doing all merely like a hobby, "game", and love to hold control on the Gems, at least think they should, can. It's a householder domain. Yet better then those who suggesting higher, but actually more of wrong base.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:40 am
Eko Care wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:38 am
DNS wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 pm SuttaCentral = EBT
DW(T) = pan-theravada
I would add more:

SuttaCentral = EBT + Feminism
DW(T) = Pan theravada + Pan buddhism + Non rebirth

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You don’t get many secular Buddhists on here these days, nor much acceptance of the Bodhisattva path.
The Bodhisattva Path is a Mahayana concept which undermines the entire life and teachings of the Buddha. That is to say, the Buddha - according to Mahayana, was a good Buddha - but he could have done better. So let’s all become better Buddhas than Gautama 🤷

That being said. I remember E sangha well. I was an incorrigible Mahayana enthusiast who had a chip on his shoulder. Those were different times where (I felt at least) anything went.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

tharpa wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:11 am
DNS wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:19 pm
tharpa wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:31 pm If you get the chance, kindly tell Ven. Sujato that requiring registrants to state that they have not only read, but understood his long summary of his personal Buddhist philosophy is a barrier to those who take the Fourth Precept seriously. And at least put his name on the page, so people will know whose philosophy it is.
No thanks, I won't be doing that. Bhante Sujato is an esteemed member of the ordained Sangha and it's his site to run as he sees fit. Each of the 3 major theravada forums serves a different role and membership is voluntary, not a requirement on anyone.
I fully understand that it is his site to run as he sees fit. Not sure why you thought I didn't. I only asked that you pass on fully accurate information. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is not deliberately excluding people who practice the Buddha's precepts.

Because a person who would deliberately exclude people who practice the precepts from a Buddhist forum is not worthy of much esteem. So it is an insult to him to think that he could not handle the information. So I apparently respect him more than you do.
So you want David to be banned from the Sutta Central too?
:tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SDC

Post by SDC »

BrokenBones wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:04 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:14 pm Thankfully I was not banned except for two weeks. (even it was removed later)
I still can’t believe you were suspended. The previous administration did not like all your questions. :spy: :D
I think the previous administration couldn't defend their views and responded negatively to criticism.

I find the current site full of people who I agree with and people I disagree with... it's a much more relaxed feel to the site and the sky doesn't fall in if you post something in the wrong section or question BVT.
I reported your post because I didn’t agree with it and it made me really mad and sad. ;) :D
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BVT?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
SDC

Post by SDC »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:42 pm

BVT?
Ugh….please don’t ask. PM me if you really want to know. Would be a shame to discuss it publicly.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Radix

Post by Radix »

Johann wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:53 am It of course not proper to say itjs a safe place for monks, as it's not at all dedicated for higher, but assumed that all are same, same. So most dangerous for monks, nuns, as maintainer aren't familiar, doing all merely like a hobby, "game", and love to hold control on the Gems, at least think they should, can. It's a householder domain. Yet better then those who suggesting higher, but actually more of wrong base.
What did you expect, and on the basis of what?
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

DNS wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:10 pm
tharpa wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:20 pm It took me a while to realize that Theravada and Mahayana are more like different religions than different schools in the same religion. Expecting them to have good discussions is like expecting Jews and Christians to have good religious discussions because they share most of the books of the Old Testament. Putting them on different domains seems like it was a good solution.
Yes, I agree. Mahayana has some Hindu-like elements in it (deity-yoga, bodhisattvas, tantra) and Theravada has some Jain-like elements in it (sramana path, asceticism) so are very different in many ways.

Even Theravada is getting somewhat fragmented (Thai forest, secular buddhism, vipassana, Modern Theravada / EBT, Classical, etc).

I guess DW(T) has become sort of a "pan-theravada" forum. :tongue:

Sutta Central for specifically EBT.
Classical Theravada for specifically Classical. https://classicaltheravada.org/

I'm a member of Sutta Central D&D and Classical Theravada, as I like both of these major forms of Theravada.
How are bodhisattvas "hindu-like"?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Disciple wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:19 pm How are bodhisattvas "hindu-like"?
I'm referring to the pantheon of bodhisattvas seen in many Mahayana temples (Medicine Buddha, Amitabha, Manjushri, etc). This is similar to the pantheon of gods seen in Hindu temples; similar, but not the same.

Whereas in Theravada the focus is on the historical Buddha (Mahavira for Jainism) and sometimes previous Buddhas (previous Tirthankaras for Jainism).
Johann

Post by Johann »

Radix wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:28 pm
Johann wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:53 am It of course not proper to say itjs a safe place for monks, as it's not at all dedicated for higher, but assumed that all are same, same. So most dangerous for monks, nuns, as maintainer aren't familiar, doing all merely like a hobby, "game", and love to hold control on the Gems, at least think they should, can. It's a householder domain. Yet better then those who suggesting higher, but actually more of wrong base.
What did you expect, and on the basis of what?
Base, since it's that a Buddhist at least is thought to having gone for refuge, while seemingly not, good householder, when feeding on a heritage.

Thought to be useful, they are all just destructive and dividing, proper to avoid, as Brahmans do not take a lower seat and not given, monks are just hoped to get around for feeds. It's just approaching corrupted families, burdensome and of less benefit upwardly for all.
Last edited by Johann on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.