Did Buddha teach enlightenment or The Dhamma

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Microdose

Did Buddha teach enlightenment or The Dhamma

Post by Microdose »

🤔
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Did Buddha teach enlightenment or The Dhamma

Post by DNS »

both

(Do you know Gami47?) :tongue:
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:01 am both

(Do you know Gami47?) :tongue:

I don’t know Gami47 😊 could you explain

The reason for my post is due to reflection on dhammachakka sutta and the story of siddharta when he attained bodhi and then taught the eightfold path as the way to bodhi and not directly teaching enlightenment itself or what it was
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Yes.
Dhamma that leads to enlightenment.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am I don’t know Gami47 😊 could you explain
Sorry, bad joke. Gami47 has a tendency to make topics with no content in them; just the topic title.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Eko Care wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am
Yes.
Dhamma that leads to enlightenment.

Yes I can see that they are synonymous

Dhamma is the way and by following the way one gets bodhi or awakenings

I don’t know what is enlightenment or what some may call as sunna emptiness as often the Buddha of the suttas did not directly say what was the unconditioned or deathless , this is beyond knowing , what the Buddha knows is the lokas as lokavidhu

I’m just pondering that focus on eightfold path dhammachakka is in and of itself enough without worrying to much what is nibbana sunna or what happens to me after death
Last edited by Microdose on Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

DNS wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:13 am
Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am I don’t know Gami47 😊 could you explain
Sorry, bad joke. Gami47 has a tendency to make topics with no content in them; just the topic title.

Yes, sorry, I didn’t want to complicate it with to many words 😊🙏
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:27 am the Buddha of the suttas did not directly say what was the unconditioned or deathless
What about the explanation of Nibbana in the Dhammacakkapavattana sutta?
Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:27 am sunna emptiness
Emptiness means:
There is no atta/person/vasa/hegemony/authority
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Eko Care wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:00 am
Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:27 am the Buddha of the suttas did not directly say what was the unconditioned or deathless
What about the explanation of Nibbana in the Dhammacakkapavattana sutta?
Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:27 am sunna emptiness
Emptiness means:
There is no atta/person/vasa/hegemony/authority

Could you please explain to what nibbana is according to Dhammacakkapavattana sutta

I know what many things mean but I may not fully experience them

I’m not to overly concerned with the meanings of the words, these can be memorised from books, perhaps it has some help but I’m more of a meditation person and look for meanings within my experience and what I can practically apply
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:07 am I’m not to overly concerned with the meanings of the words, these can be memorised from books, perhaps it has some help but I’m more of a meditation person and look for meanings within my experience and what I can practically apply
If so, what is the benefit, as you think, by someone providing meanings of the words to you.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Eko Care wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:49 am
Microdose wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:07 am I’m not to overly concerned with the meanings of the words, these can be memorised from books, perhaps it has some help but I’m more of a meditation person and look for meanings within my experience and what I can practically apply
If so, what is the benefit, as you think, by someone providing meanings of the words to you.

I’m sorry but I’m really not sure what your saying

I’m asking if people can share some insights on experience rather than words, I learn better from this when someone can speak from the heart

It’s why I like the simple teachings of Ajhan chah when he spoke I can feel he is one with his words and come from his heart

I read many books many years ago but it didn’t help me develop my heart only a certain part of mind which is rarely found in meditation