Kusala and akusala A simple teaching of awareness

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Microdose

Kusala and akusala A simple teaching of awareness

Post by Microdose »

Buddha used very simple teachings

Kusala and akusala, what is good for the development of my heart I will accept, citta bhavana is developing sila samadhi and panna or morality, deep absorption and wisdom and wearing down greed, hatred and ignorance

Cultivate what’s good for the heart, the citta the essential being, the essence of one’s own self, this is kusala wholesome development of the heart

Let go of that which obstructs and is unwholesome for oneself and others to let go of anything that hinders the heart from developing and expanding and growing , this is recognition of akusala unwholesomeness

Abide in one’s own nature

We really don’t know and we don’t need to know everything

But we can learn enough to liberate our minds and hearts

To know what is wholesome for development of the heart is kusala

To know what is unwholesome for development of the heart is akusla

That which knows the difference is sati or awareness

Some reflections on the way 🙏
mjaviem

Re: Kusala and akusala A simple teaching of awareness

Post by mjaviem »

Microdose wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:45 pm ... developing sila samadhi and panna or morality, deep absorption and wisdom...
Sila --> Impeccable conduct
Samadhi --> Stable and clear
Panna --> Correct understanding
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

You have to go beyond Kusala and Akusala to attain Nibbana.
The way I understand Sila and Samadhi is Kusala and Panna lead to Nibbana
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:51 am You have to go beyond Kusala and Akusala to attain Nibbana.
The way I understand Sila and Samadhi is Kusala and Panna lead to Nibbana
Sila, samadhi & panna lead to nibbana... obviously you have to go beyond kusala & akusala to get to nibbana... you have to go beyond everything to get to nibbana.

No right thoughts... no panna... no nibbana.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Conceptual way is more difficult than insight and present moment awareness
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Microdose wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:47 am Conceptual way is more difficult than insight and present moment awareness
What does that even mean?

Is this insight you mention something from high like a blessing? Is it something that magically arises because you're watching your belly go in and out?

Or is something that arises gradually from wise consideration of the Buddha's Dhamma?

You don't become a mathematician by concentrating on a number... you need to put your big boy pants on and start investigating how maths works and how it relates to the real world and for that you better engage your thinking brain because staring at algebraic formulae and awaiting mathematical enlightenment won't cut it.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

BrokenBones wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:37 am
Microdose wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:47 am Conceptual way is more difficult than insight and present moment awareness

Is this insight you mention something from high like a blessing? Is it something that magically arises because you're watching your belly go in and out?

Or is something that arises gradually from wise consideration of the Buddha's Dhamma?

You don't become a mathematician by concentrating on a number... you need to put your big boy pants on and start investigating how maths works and how it relates to the real world and for that you better engage your thinking brain because staring at algebraic formulae and awaiting mathematical enlightenment won't cut it.

If you don’t know what it means then the concepts are higher than natural inherent awareness

This alone knows
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Microdose wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:52 am
BrokenBones wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:37 am

If you don’t know what it means then the concepts are higher than natural inherent awareness

This alone knows
Ooh! 😲 sounds mystic. No, I don't know what it means.

Can you explain?
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

It’s beyond explaining it is not mystic but natural

My mother taught me to chew my food

I know when My belly is full and when my belly is empty

It’s so simple

What is your country friend
befriend

Post by befriend »

Broken bones, for example if one feels greed or hate you can pay attention with your awareness to it just like one would carefully observe a flower or a rock or whatever with mindful curiosity. When you pay attention investigating a wholesome or unwholesome mind state like kindness or hate you can sense it is pleasant or repulsive kindness seen with awareness is very pleasant then one knows non conceptually that kindness is good or Kusala. It's no longer an idea of being good you can know it to be true from experience. And doing the same with hate being attentive to it with awareness one can feel it's heavy dark unhappy miserableness. You will naturally let go of hate quicker and drop it like a hot coal when awareness knows it is so yucky, awareness has a naturally discriminate and obviously knowing quality to it.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

befriend wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:23 am Broken bones, for example if one feels greed or hate you can pay attention with your awareness to it just like one would carefully observe a flower or a rock or whatever with mindful curiosity. When you pay attention investigating a wholesome or unwholesome mind state like kindness or hate you can sense it is pleasant or repulsive kindness seen with awareness is very pleasant then one knows non conceptually that kindness is good or Kusala. It's no longer an idea of being good you can know it to be true from experience. And doing the same with hate being attentive to it with awareness one can feel it's heavy dark unhappy miserableness. You will naturally let go of hate quicker and drop it like a hot coal when awareness knows it is so yucky, awareness has a naturally discriminate and obviously knowing quality to it.
I think the last sentence above re awareness is quite solid to say that it discriminates hatred . Hatred arises out of greed and craving of desires or tanha.
Some time back I listened to a sermon that explained Kusala is talent of awareness and maintenance of alobha, non greed adosa or metta and amoha or unlustful . Yet we humans are born with avidya or lobha dosa and moha or akusala. But to shorten away samsara we got to drive away lobha, dosa and moha. Kusala is driving away lobha, dosa moha and being polished with alobha adosa amoha like a gem.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Befriend and justindesilva

:goodpost:

Metta to all :anjali:
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Microdose wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am It’s beyond explaining it is not mystic but natural

It’s so simple

My mother taught me to fear the rod, lest spoil the child. I’m from 🇨🇦
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Pondera wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:57 am
Microdose wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am It’s beyond explaining it is not mystic but natural

It’s so simple

Is this a double account or a random comment

I was speaking in code
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Microdose wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:29 am
Pondera wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:57 am

It’s so simple

Is this a double account or a random comment

I was speaking in code
Random codes get random comments
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded