"A burden indeed are the five aggregates, and the carrier of the burden is the person."

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
justpractice

Re: "A burden indeed are the five aggregates, and the carrier of the burden is the person."

Post by justpractice »

SDC wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:33 pm And you were so polite about it! :D
Ha! Although I do value politeness (even on anonymous internet forums!), in this case it wasn't so much politeness as it was taking for granted you saw something I had failed to see on my initial reading. From what I can tell from your post history, you have been immersed in the suttas far longer than I have, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt and decided I more than likely needed to give it another read to see what I missed. Which is why your follow-up correction was appreciated!
"Whoever avoids sensual desires
— as he would, with his foot,
the head of a snake —
goes beyond, mindful,
this attachment in the world." - Sn 4.1
SDC

Re: "A burden indeed are the five aggregates, and the carrier of the burden is the person."

Post by SDC »

justpractice wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:15 pm
SDC wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:33 pm And you were so polite about it! :D
Ha! Although I do value politeness (even on anonymous internet forums!), in this case it wasn't so much politeness as it was taking for granted you saw something I had failed to see on my initial reading. From what I can tell from your post history, you have been immersed in the suttas far longer than I have, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt and decided I more than likely needed to give it another read to see what I missed. Which is why your follow-up correction was appreciated!
:thumbsup:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
thepea

Post by thepea »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:08 pm What is the meaning of this sutta verse? It seems to indicate the person is separate from the aggregates.
"A burden indeed
are the five aggregates,
and the carrier of the burden
is the person.
Taking up the burden in the world
is stressful.
Casting off the burden
is bliss.
Having cast off the heavy burden
and not taking on another,
pulling up craving,
along with its root,
one is free from hunger,
totally unbound."

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN22_22.html
Is the person liberated thus from the re-becoming of the 5 aggregates?
The person is the masked actor (personality).
You want to take the mask off.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:38 pm The person is the masked actor (personality).
That suggests no self, which is not quite right
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

thepea wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:38 pm
And what is left when you take the mask off?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
thepea

Post by thepea »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:13 am
thepea wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:38 pm
And what is left when you take the mask off?
Nibanna/happiness/source awareness/Self awareness/God/Buddha.....whatever you want to call “this”.
Through ignorance of source/self awareness and fear(sin) we have developed into humans with the collective consciousness(person or masked actor playing a role). Buddha’s teaching are to penetrate this apparently solid mask(the bricks and stones so tightly packed will separate and source consciousness will penetrate.
As Buddha stated Dhamma is cyclical. We need to remove the mask and spread the truth before the collective consciousness destroys itself through its utter disconnect and loneliness. The collective(masked) are desperately looking for anything to stave off loneliness and feel a connection. They try to connect to other worldly things so desperately to fill this void, some are trying to interface with technology in order to become Godlike.
All Buddha is telling you is to take the mask off and be happy. Connect with source consciousness.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

thepea wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 am
All Buddha is telling you is to take the mask off and be happy. Connect with source consciousness.
Did Buddha teach connecting with "source consciousness" as the goal?
thepea

Post by thepea »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:18 pm
Buddha is source consciousness. Or awakened one if you prefer. Nibanna or nirvana for the religious depending on your flavour.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

thepea wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:13 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:18 pm
Buddha is source consciousness. Or awakened one if you prefer. Nibanna or nirvana for the religious depending on your flavour.
What is "source consciousness" exactly, and where is this described in the Buddhist suttas?
Possibly you are confusing Buddhism with Advaita Vedanta.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 am All Buddha is telling you is to take the mask off and be happy.
That’s silly
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:02 pm
thepea wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 am All Buddha is telling you is to take the mask off and be happy.
That’s silly
Pot calling the kettle black.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 pm Pot calling the kettle black.
I wonder how many actual Buddhists are here
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:05 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 pm Pot calling the kettle black.
I wonder how many actual Buddhists are here
You aint one of them.

Buddha save me from new-agers.