Mahayana similar to Advaita?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
auto

Re: Mahayana similar to Advaita?

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm
auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:04 pm
vedic text wrote:All works are being done by the Gunas (or the energy and power) of nature, but due to delusion of ego people assume themselves to be the doer. (See also 5.09, 13.29, and 14.19) (3.27)
Could you reference this quote properly, and say which Vedic text it is actually from?
i was posting it to supplement my previous post to ceomengu and thought it could do better as a separate post, you can find the link from post before that. In case you still not find then just press this link,
http://thenazareneway.com/gita_chapter_%203.htm
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:30 pm Oh, dear. "Cause and effect realm." Here we go. Apparently the Hindu cause and effect realm is material and the Buddha only taught the cause and effect realm.

:spy:

Why don't you go on a big exegesis and then others can vet your points that you feel are relevant.
are you bullying me, i barely notice
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

It's the circle of life, Auto. You perennially mock others for allegedly not knowing about Hinduism and this and that, which you consider all functionally interchangeable with Buddhism and even Dàoist internal alchemy. Then, when it comes time to go in-depth, you come out with New Age-inspired made-up terminology. People notice nonsense like that, if they're in the know.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
auto

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm Could you then respond directly to the OP question, which is about alleged "significant similarities" between Mahayana and Advaita? Thanks.
maybe this,
http://thenazareneway.com/gita_chapter_5.htm wrote:Seers whose sins (or imperfections) are destroyed, whose doubts have been dispelled by knowledge, whose disciplined minds are attached with the Self, and who are engaged in the welfare of all beings attain Supreme Brahman. (5.25)
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:32 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm
Could you reference this quote properly, and say which Vedic text it is actually from?
i was posting it to supplement my previous post to ceomengu and thought it could do better as a separate post, you can find the link from post before that. In case you still not find then just press this link,
http://thenazareneway.com/gita_chapter_%203.htm
I'm not sure how chapter 3 of the 'Gita is relevant to this discussion. Atma Bodha is probably the most relevant text in a discussion about Advaita. Compare that to a Mahayana text like the Heart Sutra, and the differences are obvious.

I'm still waiting for you to address the OP question, which us quite specific.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:37 pm It's the circle of life, Auto. You perennially mock others for allegedly not knowing about Hinduism and this and that, which you consider all functionally interchangeable with Buddhism and even Dàoist internal alchemy. Then, when it comes time to go in-depth, you come out with New Age-inspired made-up terminology. People notice nonsense like that, if they're in the know.
Body is the common nominator.

Do you mean new age inspired made up terminology as the "cause and effect realm" you can find that in vedic texts.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:40 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm Could you then respond directly to the OP question, which is about alleged "significant similarities" between Mahayana and Advaita? Thanks.
maybe this,
http://thenazareneway.com/gita_chapter_5.htm wrote:Seers whose sins (or imperfections) are destroyed, whose doubts have been dispelled by knowledge, whose disciplined minds are attached with the Self, and who are engaged in the welfare of all beings attain Supreme Brahman. (5.25)
"Supreme Brahman" is incompatible with Mahayana shunyata (lack of inherent existence).
auto

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:41 pm I'm not sure how chapter 3 of the 'Gita is relevant to this discussion.
didn't i say in my post it were for ceomengu, foremost. And maybe you could have find something to it too, because if visuddhimagga says same thing, read the quote only not entire page, just two lines.
visuddhimagga wrote: There is no doer of a deed
Or one who reaps the deed’s result;
Phenomena alone flow on—
No other view than this is right.
compare
vedic text wrote:All works are being done by the Gunas (or the energy and power) of nature, but due to delusion of ego people assume themselves to be the doer. (See also 5.09, 13.29, and 14.19) (3.27)
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:43 pmDo you mean new age inspired made up terminology as the "cause and effect realm" you can find that in vedic texts.
If there is such a word in a single Vedic text or Upanisad, you are invited to quote the relevant section with the corresponding Sanskrit being translated as "cause and effect realm."

:popcorn:

Let's see this.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:43 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:37 pm It's the circle of life, Auto. You perennially mock others for allegedly not knowing about Hinduism and this and that, which you consider all functionally interchangeable with Buddhism and even Dàoist internal alchemy. Then, when it comes time to go in-depth, you come out with New Age-inspired made-up terminology. People notice nonsense like that, if they're in the know.
Body is the common nominator.

Do you mean new age inspired made up terminology as the "cause and effect realm" you can find that in vedic texts.
Please address the OP question. Do you think there are "significant similarities" between Mahayana and Advaita, and if so, what are they exactly?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:49 am It was suggested in another thread that there are "significant similarities" between Mahayana Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta.
Is this in fact true, and if so, what exactly are these significant similarities?
Some mahayanists expound views that are similar but there is no basis for saying that there would be "significant similarities between mahayana buddhism and advaita vedanta.
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:49 am For one thing, I don't see how Brahman and shunyata are compatible.
I see how these concepts are compatible depending on particular cognitions.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:47 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:41 pm I'm not sure how chapter 3 of the 'Gita is relevant to this discussion.
didn't i say in my post it were for ceomengu, foremost. And maybe you could have find something to it too, because if visuddhimagga says same thing, read the quote only not entire page, just two lines.
visuddhimagga wrote: There is no doer of a deed
Or one who reaps the deed’s result;
Phenomena alone flow on—
No other view than this is right.
compare
You're comparing a bit of the 'Gita with a bit of the Visuddhimagga. :redherring:

The OP question is about comparing Mahayana and Advaita.
auto

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:44 pm
auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:40 pm
maybe this,
"Supreme Brahman" is incompatible with Mahayana shunyata (lack of inherent existence).
source for your claims please, maybe its time for you to do some legwork too, no?
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SteRo wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:48 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:49 am For one thing, I don't see how Brahman and shunyata are compatible.
I see how these concepts are compatible depending on particular cognitions.
How so?
auto

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:50 pm You're comparing a bit of the 'Gita with a bit of the Visuddhimagga. :redherring:

The OP question is about comparing Mahayana and Advaita.
maybe blame ceomengu for a while.