Mahayana similar to Advaita?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Spiny Norman

Mahayana similar to Advaita?

Post by Spiny Norman »

It was suggested in another thread that there are "significant similarities" between Mahayana Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta.
Is this in fact true, and if so, what exactly are these significant similarities?

For one thing, I don't see how Brahman and shunyata are compatible.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
auto

Re: Mahayana similar to Advaita?

Post by auto »

for one thing i have no idea what brahman or sunyata is.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:33 pm for one thing i have no idea what brahman or sunyata is.
"No idea," he says.

:toilet:

This from one who likes to talk about how others know nothing about Hinduism...

:toilet:
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:36 pm ..
no idea what he thinks brahman and sunyata is.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Suuuuuuuure.
What is the Uncreated?
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:36 pm This from one who likes to talk about how others know nothing about Hinduism...
when they claim false things about vedic texts then i am correct to say that. Please drop your willfully playing dumb person act.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Ok. So you think that Spiny Norman has made some false claims about Hinduism or Vedic texts.

:popcorn:

Let's see. Bring them out.
What is the Uncreated?
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 pm Ok. So you think that Spiny Norman has made some false claims about Hinduism or Vedic texts.

first you should provide a quote where i said,
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:36 pm This from one who likes to talk about how others know nothing about Hinduism...
then i will search exact quotes too with same layway.

just search atma on spiny posts
and use this quote from vedic text as reference,
http://thenazareneway.com/gita_chapter_%203.htm wrote:All works are being done by the Gunas (or the energy and power) of nature, but due to delusion of ego people assume themselves to be the doer. (See also 5.09, 13.29, and 14.19) (3.27)
the 'doer' there is same word as used in visuddhimagga for the doer: "As there is no doer only phenomena flow on"(or whatever the sentence were). So in other thread can read how Spiny says
Spiny Norman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:25 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:15 pm
This sort of thing can go on ad infinitum. It's the bread and butter of those who want to twist the Buddha to agree with them. He doesn't not exist, and he doesn't exist either. All ātmavādas of those who wrongly call themselves Buddhists hinge upon this "doesn't not exist."
Yes, it's being in denial about the implications of "sabbe dhamma anatta".
Or trying to make Buddhism into another school of Hinduism.
you can easily assume from spiny that he thinks there is atma in material realm. So to topic, i m curios what are the brahman and sunyata he speaks of
auto

Post by auto »

visuddhimagga wrote: There is no doer of a deed
Or one who reaps the deed’s result;
Phenomena alone flow on—
No other view than this is right.
compare
vedic text wrote:All works are being done by the Gunas (or the energy and power) of nature, but due to delusion of ego people assume themselves to be the doer. (See also 5.09, 13.29, and 14.19) (3.27)
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:52 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 pm Ok. So you think that Spiny Norman has made some false claims about Hinduism or Vedic texts.

first you should provide a quote where i said,
then i will search exact quotes too with same layway.
Moderation deleted the most recent quote wherein you accused Spiny Norman of having learned nothing while studying Advaita.
auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:52 pmyou can easily assume from spiny that he thinks there is atma in material realm. So to topic, i m curios what are the brahman and sunyata he speaks of
Anyone can assume anything. You assume all sorts of strange nonsense every day. That doesn't make anyone's assumptions correct.
What is the Uncreated?
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:08 pm Anyone can assume anything. You assume all sorts of strange nonsense every day. That doesn't make anyone's assumptions correct.
i regulary think how you can say such things and not get moderated. I think what you type is never not on point intellectual bullshit. Pretty sure i get banned now and you continue post your high horse shit

farewell, been nice knowing you. I go back to my new age roots where people go from 3D to 5D ..
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Probably for the best. I'm glad you think I'm never not on point. I can't lie here for the sake of returning sentiments: I think you're never on point. Best to go back to the New Agers, as you suggest you ought to do. They play nicer in the kiddy pool. You won't be asked to substantiate nonsense that you can't there. They don't know what "substantiate" means there.
What is the Uncreated?
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

auto wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:04 pm
vedic text wrote:All works are being done by the Gunas (or the energy and power) of nature, but due to delusion of ego people assume themselves to be the doer. (See also 5.09, 13.29, and 14.19) (3.27)
Could you reference this quote properly, and say which Vedic text it is actually from?

Could you then respond directly to the OP question, which is about alleged "significant similarities" between Mahayana and Advaita? Thanks.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
auto

Post by auto »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:08 pm Moderation deleted the most recent quote wherein you accused Spiny Norman of having learned nothing while studying Advaita.
I think that was explanation or continuance for my first response to him in that thread:
part wrote:you do realize that according to hinduism there is no atta in the material, cause and effect realm? and that the buddha taught explicitly only cause and effect realm?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Oh, dear. "Cause and effect realm." Here we go. Apparently the Hindu cause and effect realm is material and the Buddha only taught the cause and effect realm.

:spy:

Why don't you go on a big exegesis and then others can vet your points that you feel are relevant.
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?