Noble eightfold path

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Microdose

Noble eightfold path

Post by Microdose »

I speak only of my experiences and how I study and practice and base this on practical experiences rather than believing in something unknown to me, it maybe different for others way

This has taken a while to develop and I’m only scratching the surface , but my insights are getting deeper and more stable , one could say that shraddha is developing based on experience and not from learning intellect , when a new view comes along my view can change , but through chitta bhavana and jhana it becomes more apparent what is being developed what is being absorbed and where my true conviction and confidence is , it’s unmistakable

Samma dhitti is at the top of the list and usually mentioned first

When awakening arises in me the eightfold path also arises naturally, without effort, it’s not a practice , it’s the way of my true nature , everything is there whole and complete , Dhamma is my true nature before conditions appear

Just as with a healthy human the limbs and the body parts evolve and grow simultaneously , it’s not that the hand grows and then the heart comes next, the leg doesn’t grow and then the toes start to sprout

They all grow simultaneously

When I meditate on my body I can’t see where it starts or where it ends, where is the starting point , it all grows at the same time and is one whole complete unit , interdependent and working together

This is how I see and reflect on the noble eightfold path

If one has Samma samadhi they have Samma dhitti

If one has Samma viriya they have Samma sankappa
If one has Samma sankapa one has all the others operating and working together in harmony

Samadhi is harmonious
SarathW

Re: Noble eightfold path

Post by SarathW »

When awakening arises in me the eightfold path also arises naturally, without effort
I would say when you have right view the rest of the path appears effortlessly.
But you have listen true Dhamma from a Kalyana Mitta.
It is important you understand the difference between Samma (right) and MIcca (wrong)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:26 am
When awakening arises in me the eightfold path also arises naturally, without effort
I would say when you have right view the rest of the path appears effortlessly.
But you have listen true Dhamma from a Kalyana Mitta.
It is important you understand the difference between Samma (right) and MIcca (wrong)

For some years now I’ve been doing a specific practice where whatever I learn I ask myself is this my experience , I feel to many spiritual teachings , not only Buddhist have become to head heavy, I can read and memorise a book but is it

sandhittiko ~ apparent here and now

Paccattam veditabbo vinnuhi- being experienced with wisdom

Does right view come first or do other parts of the Dhamma set in motion all the parts

For example Ajhan chah says that sila, samadhi and panna is taught in the texts where sila comes first then samadhi is developed and finally one gets sila

But experience is different and the order sila, samadhi and panna may not come exactly in that order

He says the same with samatha and vipassana, that also may not come in that order

The texts seem to organise the teachings but the experience maybe different from how the teachings arise within one’s own experience , so far I have found this to be true

😊🙏
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Does right view come first or do other parts of the Dhamma set in motion all the parts?
First, you have the worldly right view (Lokiya Samma ditthi) secondly unworldly right view (Lokuttara Samma Ditthi)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

Microdose wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:39 am Does right view come first or do other parts of the Dhamma set in motion all the parts
For me samma samadhi is how I gained samma ditthi. My samma samadhi was not understood as such until I gained samma ditthi through almost an accident. After being exposed to the Dhamma I recognized samadhi had been with me for a very very long time and could then use it as samma samadhi when samma ditthi was present. From here adherence to sila grew along with blossoming gratefulness and compassion. It was just the way I naturally wanted to be. I think I practiced wrong after that though because it all faded now.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)