Is giving old items (cloths etc) unwholsome?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Is giving old items (cloths etc) unwholsome?

Post by SarathW »

Is giving old items (clothes etc) unwholsome?

I give my old items which I don't want to charity or close friends.
Is this unwholesome?

I am trying to understand the AN 5.44
https://suttacentral.net/an5.44/en/suja ... ript=latin
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Re: Is giving old items (cloths etc) unwholsome?

Post by dharmacorps »

Your link is broken Sarath.

But, obviously giving away items to those who need them, whether used or unused is wholesome. I'm not sure how it could be unwholesome.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The link is working.
Just Google it AN 5.44 Sutta Central.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I enjoyed reading these verses:
“The giver of the agreeable gets the agreeable, enthusiastically giving clothing, bedding, food and drink, and various requisites to those of upright conduct.

Knowing the perfected ones to be like a field for what’s given, offered and not held back, a good person gives what’s hard to give: the giver of the agreeable gets the agreeable.”
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 am I enjoyed reading these verses:
“The giver of the agreeable gets the agreeable, enthusiastically giving clothing, bedding, food and drink, and various requisites to those of upright conduct.

Knowing the perfected ones to be like a field for what’s given, offered and not held back, a good person gives what’s hard to give: the giver of the agreeable gets the agreeable.”
So what is your opinion on my question?
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

"I tell you, Vaccha, even if a person throws the rinsings of a bowl or a cup into a village pool or pond, thinking, 'May whatever animals live here feed on this,' that would be a source of merit, to say nothing of what is given to human beings. But I do say that what is given to a virtuous person is of great fruit, and not so much what is given to an unvirtuous person. And the virtuous person has abandoned five factors and is endowed with five.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

However, if you are only giving away old things, although you still get merit, it is pretty minimal because that is a sign of pretty bad stinginess.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 am So what is your opinion on my question?
I think of it in terms of intention. Many give old items in both food and clothes not primarily with the intention of the well-being of those on the receiving end, but to avoid the guilt of being wasteful. Usually, the standard of what is given is determined by the lifestyle of those who give. If what is given is substandard in quality, then it could indicate an underlying conceit. Advanced monks used to prefer taking alms from the poor, because whatever they give, it would be inline with their standards of living and they get more merit in the process.

While the conceit "i am" can take the form of less, better or equal, Dana in the teachings is linked to the path of liberation of which thinking less of those on the receiving end is a coarser form of conceit in my opinion. Acknowledging the superiority of ariyas for instance makes the fruits of Dana much more rewarding. Hierarchies are still used skillfully to purify the mind in my opinion.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 am So what is your opinion on my question?
I think of it in terms of intention. Many give old items in both food and clothes not primarily with the intention of the well-being of those on the receiving end, but to avoid the guilt of being wasteful. Usually, the standard of what is given is determined by the lifestyle of those who give. If what is given is substandard in quality, then it could indicate an underlying conceit. Advanced monks used to prefer taking alms from the poor, because whatever they give, it would be inline with their standards of living and they get more merit in the process.

While the conceit "i am" can take the form of less, better or equal, Dana in the teachings is linked to the path of liberation of which thinking less of those on the receiving end is a coarser form of conceit in my opinion. Acknowledging the superiority of ariyas for instance makes the fruits of Dana much more rewarding. Hierarchies are still used skillfully to purify the mind in my opinion.
Interesting point.
So just giving old items or unwanted items not considered donations.
So it is not covered under this Sutta.
asahi

Post by asahi »

SarathW wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:05 pm Is giving old items (clothes etc) unwholsome?

I give my old items which I don't want to charity or close friends.
Is this unwholesome?

I am trying to understand the AN 5.44
https://suttacentral.net/an5.44/en/suja ... ript=latin
If the intention is thinking charity centre or close friends have poorer people still can use it , that is wholesome . If you dont think much but because it is a waste to throw away or keep it longer might as well make good use of it by giving away you still have the giving merits but i think it is lesser .
No bashing No gossiping
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 am So just giving old items or unwanted items not considered donations.
I think of it more in terms of being a driver of skillfulness than what it is considered in metaphysical sense. The term "old" here is relevant to the extent of affecting agreeableness. For example, Sandalwood might be an item of which its value increases with age, not decreases. The metaphysical aspect is better viewed in the associated rituals of giving. For example, i have heard that monks do not accept alms that are given without respect. In human affairs, rituals provide context and meaning to what we do including the act of giving. Usually, when you invite a friend to eat at your home, the gesture goes beyond boosting the protein level in their bodies to convey special care, kindness and value. If you are donating to an organization that assists the poor, then helping them to survive is prioritized. Attention to context would enable us to perform rituals without being ritualistic.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I know some people who are reluctant to give someone even an old item to someone.
They rather dump in a waste bin rather than give.
Just imagine a king giving his old clothes to a beggar.