Praying to devas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Praying to devas

Post by Ceisiwr »

Praying to devas is not incompatible with practicing Dhamma, yes or no?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
dharmacorps

Re: Praying to devas

Post by dharmacorps »

If one follows the dhamma of thervada and the Pali canon, I'm not sure there is much of a point to praying to devas from that perspective.

It is a practice of other schools of Buddhism though. You'd have to define "not incompatible".
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Yes.. The Buddha Allowed it!
The Āṭānāṭiya Protection
Āṭānāṭiyasutta
DN 32

Mighty spirits hold a congregation, and warn the Buddha that, since not all spirits are friendly, the mendicants should learn verses of protection.

https://suttacentral.net/dn-pathikavagga?view=normal
So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Rājagaha, on the Vulture’s Peak Mountain. Then, late at night, the Four Great Kings—with large armies of spirits, fairies, goblins, and dragons—set guards, troops, and wards at the four quarters and then, lighting up the entire Vulture’s Peak with their beauty, went up to the Buddha, bowed, and sat down to one side. Before sitting down to one side, some spirits bowed, some exchanged greetings and polite conversation, some held up their joined palms toward the Buddha, some announced their name and clan, while some kept silent.

Seated to one side, the Great King Vessavaṇa said to the Buddha, “Sir, some high spirits have confidence in the Buddha, some do not. Some middling spirits have confidence in the Buddha, some do not. Some low spirits have confidence in the Buddha, some do not. But mostly the spirits don’t have confidence in the Buddha. Why is that? Because the Buddha teaches them to refrain from killing living creatures, stealing, lying, sexual misconduct, and drinking alcohol. But mostly they don’t refrain from such things. They don’t like that or approve of it.

Sir, there are disciples of the Buddha who frequent remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest that are quiet and still, far from the madding crowd, remote from human settlements, and fit for retreat. There dwell high spirits who have no confidence in the Buddha’s dispensation. To give them confidence, may the Buddha please learn the Āṭānāṭiya protection for the guarding, protection, safety, and comfort of the monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen.” The Buddha consented in silence.

Then, knowing that the Buddha had consented, on that occasion Great King Vessavaṇa recited the Āṭānāṭiya protection.

https://suttacentral.net/dn32/en/sujato ... ript=latin
:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I think we are talking about 2 things…

the path to enlightenment - which only depends on our effort

and the help we received along that path.

the same way we relate to people, our friends. we also relate to beings from other planes of existence.

just as the help of a friend can be important, but it does not replace our efforts to reach enlightenment.

we can also ask for the help of Devas, but that will not replace our efforts for enlightenment.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/do ... d/22491/31
:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:00 pm Praying to devas is not incompatible with practicing Dhamma, yes or no?
As long as the person does not believe that the deva is immortal, free of suffering, holds the key to your immortality....or any of other wrong beliefs, I don't think it any different than asking a stronger person to open a cookie jar when you can't open it yourself.

Buddha has created chantings(pirith) aimed at devas and other non human deities.
Rathana Sutta-
2. "O beings, listen closely. May you all radiate loving-kindness to those human beings who, by day and night, bring offerings to you (offer merit to you). Wherefore, protect them with diligence.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .piya.html

Metta Sutta-
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... asic?hl=en

:namaste:
form

Post by form »

When you are good Deva flocked to you. This is happening in the suttas.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I sometimes pray to devas i hope they can help me.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:00 pm Praying to devas is not incompatible with practicing Dhamma, yes or no?
Doing this or that is not incompatible with practicing Dhamma, yes or no?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:12 pm If one follows the dhamma of thervada and the Pali canon, I'm not sure there is much of a point to praying to devas from that perspective.

It is a practice of other schools of Buddhism though. You'd have to define "not incompatible".
Why do you think that?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I don't think Buddha taught us to worship the celestial beings (gods, angels etc.)

But He did say that we should maintain a good relationship with them by dedicating merits to them (like inviting the deities to share the merits).

But it depends on what culture you've been brought up, for myself, the concept of having gods is quite bizarre as I have been in the position of atheist quite some time, but later I just have to accept Buddha's words on gods.

For many years, in my daily practice, I also dedicate merits to the gods whenever I did a meritorious deed such as donation, helping people, recitation of Dhamma, etc.

There are noteworthy deities which I look up to: both Sakka Devaraja and Vessavana Maharaja (I am quite fond of these two Sotapanna gods, maybe I read Suttas related to them often). I always take them as my role model and try to emulate their virtues. For example, I did meditate on virtues of Vessavana (in Saddha, Sila, Suta, Caga, Pañña, Hiri, and Otappa) from time to time,

"Now Vessavana has full unwavering confidence in The Blessed One, the Teachings, and the Sangha community. Such is His virtue. But do I have the same unwavering confidence in The Blessed One, the Teachings, and the Sangha community? Let me review this: Such indeed the Blessed One, Arahant, ....The Lord. With this, I placed my confidence on the Blessed One's Supreme Enlightenment. So too, in this way, the same full unwavering confidence in The Blessed One, the Teachings, and the Sangha community, present in me, like Vessavana the great King of deities."

In this way, I relate my practice with Devas. It's more on reflection and seeing them as kalyana friends or seniors in the Dhamma practice course. So far, it is quite beneficial.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think it depends on how it is done. If it is done with a mind rooted in fear, greed and delusion then it is not in accordance with the dhamma, and vice versa.

AN 3.71 differentiates between three Uposatha: that of cowherds, that of the Jains, and that of the noble ones. Recollecting the Devas in the Uposatha of the noble ones is placed with the triple gems of which Buddhists take refuge - where refuge signifies seeking safety from danger. This indicates that if recollecting the devas is to take the form of prayer, it has to be directed to devas who follow the Buddha dhamma or belong to the noble lineage and should be accompanied with reverence rather than commanding.

The existence of other devas shows that other forms of prayers are possible as practiced by other sects. The asuras were devas who fall down from grace and possibly can be helpful to those who pray to them. Black magic is delusional in the sense that it leads its practitioners to bad destinations, but it works according to my understanding of Buddhist cosmology and how the mind works.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

Praying is worship. It makes you a (poly)theist. CMIIW
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

samsarayoga wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:12 am Praying is worship. It makes you a (poly)theist. CMIIW
Polytheism is a middle between monotheism and atheism and is inline with Buddhist cosmology. It avoids a creator god and at the same time allows for good and bad action to bear fruits. It is an element of ānussati along with sīl·ānussati and cāg·ānussati.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.