Re-Taking Refuge?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
eldritchmoon1988

Re-Taking Refuge?

Post by eldritchmoon1988 »

Hi I have a question.

If one takes refuge formally at a temple or monastery, but then goes back to his old faith for a time. After some time he wishes to begin to practice the Dhamma again, must he take refuge again at a temple? Thanks.
SarathW

Re: Re-Taking Refuge?

Post by SarathW »

In my opinion, you don't have to go to a temple or in front of Buddhist monks to take refuge.
You can do it yourself at home.
Going to a temple and taking it from a monk is more formal but not necessary.
You don't even have to recite it in words.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bodom

Post by bodom »

eldritchmoon1988 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:28 am Hi I have a question.

If one takes refuge formally at a temple or monastery, but then goes back to his old faith for a time. After some time he wishes to begin to practice the Dhamma again, must he take refuge again at a temple? Thanks.
I agree with Sarath there is no need to go to the temple to retake them but if it is more meaningful for you that way then by all means. For me personally I repeat them to myself silently everyday, usually in the morning to start my meditation, or anywhere I might find myself if I didn't have time to sit. I've also it found useful to to repeat them to myself no matter where I am if I find any anger or cravings arising during the course of the day.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Considering the person's situation mentioned (since he has already gone back once), it seems dangerous for him to take refuge alone.
Because "taking refuge from a monk at a temple" will create a good memory and responsibility, it is better for him to chose. Best way is taking refuge from a monk of a correct tradition.
Bfearing25

Post by Bfearing25 »

I re-take refuge every morning. Light an incense next to my buddha, softly chant "buddham saranam gacchami, dhammam saranam gacchami, sangham saranam gacchami", and put my hands together at my forehead, throat and chest, and bow.
If you need something more symbolic and official, then going to a temple may be helpful. But it's not required. It just has to be meaningful to *you*, friend :anjali:
Last edited by Bfearing25 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bfearing25 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:13 pm

I re-take refuge every morning. Light an incense next to my buddha, softly chant "buddham saranam gacchami, dhammam saranam gacchami, sangham saranam gacchami", and put my hands together at my forehead, throat and chest, and bow.
If you need something more symbolic and official, then going to a temple may be helpful. But it's not required. It just has to be meaningful to *you*, friend :anjali:
Yes it is a good habit.
I do not take refuge every day except when I go to see a monk in the temple.
However I contemplate on them most of the time even though I break them often.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

Chanting three refuge is good , we should have a habits doing it everyday . Going to temple and taking refuge under a virtuous monk would increase your faith and strenghten the mind practicing the path .
No bashing No gossiping