Different colour scheme for the forum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
PeterC86

Different colour scheme for the forum

Post by PeterC86 »

Greetings,

It is a wonderful forum, but the colour scheme makes it hard to visit for a longer period of time. The white and bright orange colours are quite tiresome for the eyes, and as people spend more and more time in front of a screen, this is becoming more and more an obstruction.

I would like to suggest to change the colour scheme in a more eye-friendly one. Alternatively, or in addition, offer a night mode, but I can imagine that the latter is not so easy to implement.

Many thanks, also for running and financing this forum! A great service!

Warm regards,

Peter
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Different colour scheme for the forum

Post by DNS »

We received some input from members several years ago and we made some changes. Then others chimed in with different suggestions, so we made those changes. Then others got very angry and said it was better with the original design. So we went back to that and decided to never change it again (too many cooks spoil the broth). :tongue:

The text and background for the text includes black, white, and blue. The frames and header include red, yellow, and orange, thus, the five colors of the Buddhist flag; the colors that emanated from the Buddha after enlightenment (Vinaya I. 25).

Other forums are more black and white and gray and at those places, people complain that it is not colorful enough, so no matter what colors are used, there will always be some who will have different tastes. Thus, we go with the colorful scheme of the Buddhist colors.

See it as a test in equanimity. :D

:meditate:
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Okay, thanks for the response. I know you meant it as a joke, but I don't understand equanimity being applied to physical discomfort. But I guess this is dependent upon one's understanding of the dhamma. Physical discomfort for me is a sign of my body to avoid something, so I will rather opt for not visiting too often.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

As someone who has spent more time at this forum than most, I've found no issue with the current colour scheme. Perhaps if it's too bright, reduce the brightness of your device?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alrac

Post by Alrac »

retrofuturist wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:58 pm Perhaps if it's too bright, reduce the brightness of your device?
Computers are difficult. In your wise opinion, might wearing sun-glasses help? :spy:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Alrac wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:03 pm In your wise opinion, might wearing sun-glasses help? :spy:
As the Buddha taught, it is good to be cool. 😎

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:00 pm Greetings,

It is a wonderful forum, but the colour scheme makes it hard to visit for a longer period of time. The white and bright orange colours are quite tiresome for the eyes, and as people spend more and more time in front of a screen, this is becoming more and more an obstruction.

I would like to suggest to change the colour scheme in a more eye-friendly one. Alternatively, or in addition, offer a night mode, but I can imagine that the latter is not so easy to implement.

Many thanks, also for running and financing this forum! A great service!

Warm regards,

Peter
It’s orange because it’s represents Theravada (I assume?)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:44 pm It’s orange because it’s represents Theravada (I assume?)
As far as I know, there are no "official" colors for each buddhist tradition, but unofficially we could identify certain colors that are common in temples, monks robes, etc, by tradition:

Theravada = orange, yellow
Mahayana = dark red or maroon
Zen = black, white, gray
Nichiren actually has official colors of red, yellow, blue
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

retrofuturist wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:58 pm Greetings,

As someone who has spent more time at this forum than most, I've found no issue with the current colour scheme. Perhaps if it's too bright, reduce the brightness of your device?

Metta,
I guess I am more sensitive than most. Especially since my sense bases disappeared. I use a dark theme for Windows, my mobile phone, and my browsers. Luckily more and more websites offer a dark theme/night-mode, like at suttacentral.net (although it doesn't apply to their forum). By the looks of this forum, I assume that it is based on a rather old template, so it probably doesn't have the option to implement a night-mode. Am I right?
robertk

Post by robertk »

Especially since my sense bases disappeared
:roll: :?: :jawdrop:
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

robertk wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:39 am
Especially since my sense bases disappeared
:roll: :?: :jawdrop:
This happens when one is directly knowing, see MN 1, SN 35.95, or AN 4.24. Through which one's awareness is not divided between the senses and what is cognized about the senses. Through which one's awareness gets completely absorbed into the senses. Which makes one more sensitive.
Last edited by PeterC86 on Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:29 am Especially since my sense bases disappeared.
Attachments
83CD3621-4508-42CC-9467-F3C9B6E87520.jpeg
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:04 am
PeterC86 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:29 am Especially since my sense bases disappeared.
Nice attempt to be funny, but I don't expect you to suddenly understand what I am talking about after a 120 pages discussion where you failed to understand it.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:11 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:04 am
Nice attempt to be funny, but I don't expect you to suddenly understand what I am talking about after a 120 pages discussion where you failed to understand it.
I understand the words, it’s just the words are nonsense.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

PeterC86 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:58 pm Okay, thanks for the response. I know you meant it as a joke, but I don't understand equanimity being applied to physical discomfort. But I guess this is dependent upon one's understanding of the dhamma. Physical discomfort for me is a sign of my body to avoid something, so I will rather opt for not visiting too often.
“May the Gracious One remain, reverend Sir, for the lifespan, may the Fortunate One remain for the lifespan, for the benefit of many people, for the happiness of many people, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, benefit, and happiness of Divinities and men,”
https://suttacentral.net/dn16/en/ananda ... ight=false