Is the use of moisturizers allowed in the 7th precept?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Tapasilo

Is the use of moisturizers allowed in the 7th precept?

Post by Tapasilo »

Hello Dhamma friends, I have been following the atthasila on uposatha days, and everything has been going good so far, but I am contemplating on whether moisturizers are allowed for layfolk practicing the 8 precepts.

The reason I'm asking this is because my skin condition is quite bad, as pretty much every square centimetres of my face is covered with either pimples or acne. In the past, before I used moisturizers, I had many more of them, and every single one have caused many discomfort, pain, and itch to my face. Fast forward to today, with the help of moisturizers, I have been gradually getting lesser pimples, and so I fear that if I skip on them too often, it will cause a relapse.

So far I have been using them during uposatha days, not with the intention of beautifying the body, but rather as a medication to avoid bodily pain.

Mettacitena.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Is the use of moisturizers allowed in the 7th precept?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Tapasilo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:03 am So far I have been using them during uposatha days, not with the intention of beautifying the body, but rather as a medication to avoid bodily pain.
Very good, you have understood the precept and know that medicines are ok.
I also use a moisturizer on my hands because I'm a builder, and my skin becomes cracked and painful, with bleeding cracks if I don't moisturize them.
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

Prohibited suggests its a rule... its a training guideline

There is no teacher telling you off

Reflect upon it in this way.. why ae you using the moisturiser? Does it give rise to conceit? To lust? To aversion maybe? Once its applied do you look at yourself in the mirror to see how much better you look? Are you more confident with it on?

These things dosturb the mind, even if just a little bit.. thats the entire point of the 4 extra orecepts (the "extra" or modified one of the five being no sex at all).. to valm the mind and give less time for distraction.

If you use the moisturiser to help the skin from an ailment for example, thats a different thing altogether.. or to just care for the skin after a hot day maybe.. thats different in my understanding.

With love

Anthony
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Tapasilo wrote:The reason I'm asking this is because my skin condition is quite bad, as pretty much every square centimetres of my face is covered with either pimples or acne.
It'd also help to investigate to see if there might be other underlying conditions that cause severe acne. Using facial moisturizers only fix the problem "on the surface", literally, while masking other potential underlying conditions, like, lack of sleep, stress level, diets without sufficient fibers, or with too much cooking oil or spices, etc. If you could identify and fix the root cause, not only you won't have to worry about breaking the 7th precept, but you'll also make your mind and body a healthy and harmonious system.
Last edited by santa100 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinny999

Post by Jinny999 »

I think it should be obvious that it's allowed, because it's for skin health purpose. Even if there is fragrance from it, still the main purpose is for health. So, in my view, it's ok.